[Pro] Feature Inquiry re. Freeway 8

Grant: Thanks for the tip about Chronosync. I’ve been using Synchronize! Pro X for bootable backups, but it doesn’t work for that purpose starting with High Sierra, and the developer is not interested in rewriting the app to accommodate Apple’s having moved the furniture, system-wise. Chronosync (with ChronoAgent) looks like it might provide the features I need for bootable backups. And if it can do versioning (up to 20 copies) for automatic backups of single files, then yeah…it sounds like a decent workaround.

Truth be told, I’m not a huge fan of Time Machine because of the way it uses and manages disk space, so I keep it turned off in System Prefs. I’m not sure about your assertion that “it’s always running in the background”. It doesn’t appear to be doing that in Sierra; it doesn’t show up as a running process in Activity Monitor. Maybe it’s different in later versions of macOS…but I hope not.

As it turns out, I’m stuck at Sierra because of a firmware problem entailed by the hardware architecture of the current Mac Pro (6.1…the Black Trashcan; it’s too long to explain here). In any case, if High Sierra or later forces Time Machine to run in the background whether the user wants it or not, that’s just a waste of CPU resources. So it’s just as well that I can’t “upgrade” past Sierra.

Actually, saving multiple versions isn’t a problem for me because I’m running Surround SCM, and I typically check in my work to mark my incremental progress. But it’s still a nuisance to stop and check in the Freeway file when I’m in the middle of working. Hence, multiple Undo is a necessity.

I understand that it has been essentially impossible to implement multiple Undo in Freeway’s current application architecture, which is why it hasn’t been included up to and including Freeway 7. I’m delighted that Softpress has listened to users and is incorporating it into Freeway 8 as they rebuild the app from the ground up.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at: