[Pro] Feature Inquiry re. Freeway 8

Walter: Nope…I hit a brick wall when I tried to install High Sierra—a consequence of the fact that the Mac Pro 6.1 only has one internal drive, and all other connected drives (T’bolt or USB) are considered “external” drives, and the High Sierra installer won’t install the system on an external drive. It’s actually way more complicated than that, but that’s the short version. (Google “missing firmware partition” if you want a hint of the full nightmare.)

The bottom line is that the Mac Pro 6.1 is a triumph of form over function that even Apple admits is a dead-end in hardware architecture. I’m already planning to freeze the Mac Pro 6.1 at Sierra as an isolated workstation-only system after Apple drops support for Sierra, which presumably will be this coming November, at which time I hope to have a new and very different Mac Pro.

Of course, that’s assuming that Apple’s ephemeral promise of a new “modular” Mac Pro to be released later this year actually pans out. (Cynics are undoubtedly rolling on the floor at this point.)

Even so, Sierra works great on the Mac Pro 6.1. I’m not inclined to jump through a lot of hoops to move past Sierra, which is what it would take to get to High Sierra and beyond.

Anyhow, thanks for that information. Fortunately, my need to use Freeway isn’t urgent. If it were, I probably would follow your advice as an eminently reasonable workaround.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at: