[Pro] Firefox issues

Firefox doesn’t seem to like my Freeway sites. Links, layouts, rollovers and more are just broken or wonky.

On the example page, the button is a simple link and the video is a graphic with a Spawn New Window action. Neither one works.

I know a lot of web developers are having problems with FF (it seems to be the new IE). Anyone have any ideas why even simple links aren’t working and are there any workarounds?

Thanks.

http://www.videostitch.me


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

I highly suggest everyone check their sites on Firefox. I’m guessing anyone with Scriptaculous and an https address is having the same problem.

Here is what he said:

The technical reason is because it’s blocking external resources like javascript files, because they are coming from http:// addresses when the site is a https:// address.

The solution is to change your

All I did was remove the “http:” from both of those URLs. That should make FF happy.

How do I remove the https from an action?


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

The issue is a bit complex in Freeway, because of the need to be able to preview locally. If you use a so-called “protocol-less” URL, like this:

//ajax.googleapis.com/ajas/libs/prototype/1.7/prototype.js

… then you will no longer be able to preview your page on your Mac and have anything JavaScript work at all. That’s because when the browser fills in the protocol (which it cribs from the local page, so it will read file:/ rather than http: or https:) then the expanded URL will be file:///ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/prototype/1.7/prototype.js, which does not exist on your Mac or mine.

I guess the thing for me to do is to create a “helper” Action which could switch the URL to secure for these CDN Actions. This is made quite a lot more complex by the fact that many / most of these Actions are designed to run very late in the publishing process. It may not be technically possible to do this way.

Walter

On Nov 25, 2013, at 11:28 AM, george wrote:

I highly suggest everyone check their sites on Firefox. I’m guessing anyone with Scriptaculous and an https address is having the same problem.

Here is what he said:

The technical reason is because it’s blocking external resources like javascript files, because they are coming from http:// addresses when the site is a https:// address.

The solution is to change your

All I did was remove the “http:” from both of those URLs. That should make FF happy.

How do I remove the https from an action?


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Ok. In the meantime Freeway is going to be made virtually useless for 30% of the world using Firefox - and I’ve heard other browsers are following suit. Facebook just made the same change to their site.

I imagine Softpress is going to be in trouble if this isn’t addressed.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Only for sites that are running under HTTPS (secure sockets layer). Freeway does not, as a rule, cater to those types of developers. I would hazard a guess that the total number of secure sites created with Freeway would be in the single-digit percentage of the total number of Freeway-built sites. Which is itself a vanishingly small percentage of the total out there.

Walter

On Nov 25, 2013, at 12:50 PM, george wrote:

Ok. In the meantime Freeway is going to be made virtually useless for 30% of the world using Firefox - and I’ve heard other browsers are following suit. Facebook just made the same change to their site.

I imagine Softpress is going to be in trouble if this isn’t addressed.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Okay, try this out as a bandage for your site:

  1. Download version 0.1 of HTTPS CDN Helper here: http://actionsforge.com/actions/view/308-https-cdn-helper
  2. Apply it to any page where you are using this combination of things: SSL (HTTPS) for the page, Protaculous, Carousel, any of the Softpress FX Actions, Rollover with the Effects menu choosing an effect, ditto for Target Show/Hide [whatever], Paul Dunning’s Spawn New Window in iPad-friendly mode, etc.
  3. Check the “Use HTTPS links to Google CDN” checkbox on.
  4. Publish and test.

This Action runs very late in the publish process and cleans up any links to the Google CDN with their HTTPS equivalents. Note that if you are linking to CDNs other than Google for content, this Action will have no effect.

Let me know how/if this helps.

Walter

On Nov 25, 2013, at 1:23 PM, Walter Lee Davis wrote:

Only for sites that are running under HTTPS (secure sockets layer). Freeway does not, as a rule, cater to those types of developers. I would hazard a guess that the total number of secure sites created with Freeway would be in the single-digit percentage of the total number of Freeway-built sites. Which is itself a vanishingly small percentage of the total out there.

Walter

On Nov 25, 2013, at 12:50 PM, george wrote:

Ok. In the meantime Freeway is going to be made virtually useless for 30% of the world using Firefox - and I’ve heard other browsers are following suit. Facebook just made the same change to their site.

I imagine Softpress is going to be in trouble if this isn’t addressed.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Thanks! I’ll give it a try.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Unfortunately it does not seem to make any difference.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Link?

Walter

On Nov 25, 2013, at 4:37 PM, george wrote:

Unfortunately it does not seem to make any difference.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

https://www.videostitch.me/home.html


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

The errors on that page are for insecure use of fonts hosted at a google http address

D


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

The page at https://www.videostitch.me/home.html ran insecure content from http://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Waiting+for+the+Sunrise|Montserrat:400,700.
The page at https://www.videostitch.me/home.html displayed insecure content from http://themes.googleusercontent.com/static/fonts/montserrat/v3/zhcz-_WihjSQC0oHJ9TCYMDdSZkkecOE1hvV7ZHvhyU.ttf.
The page at https://www.videostitch.me/home.html displayed insecure content from http://themes.googleusercontent.com/static/fonts/montserrat/v3/IQHow_FEYlDC4Gzy_m8fcsBaWKZ57bY3RXgXH6dOjZ0.ttf.
The page at https://www.videostitch.me/home.html displayed insecure content from http://themes.googleusercontent.com/static/fonts/waitingforthesunrise/v4/eNfH7kLpF1PZWpsetF-ha6ioFKof5W7pXanOtzb_7IYC1LhKU8qFLLahJuQDJSaO.ttf.
The page at https://www.videostitch.me/home.html displayed insecure content from http://themes.googleusercontent.com/static/fonts/montserrat/v3/zhcz-_WihjSQC0oHJ9TCYMDdSZkkecOE1hvV7ZHvhyU.ttf.
The page at https://www.videostitch.me/home.html displayed insecure content from http://themes.googleusercontent.com/static/fonts/montserrat/v3/IQHow_FEYlDC4Gzy_m8fcsBaWKZ57bY3RXgXH6dOjZ0.ttf.
The page at https://www.videostitch.me/home.html displayed insecure content from http://themes.googleusercontent.com/static/fonts/waitingforthesunrise/v4/eNfH7kLpF1PZWpsetF-ha6ioFKof5W7pXanOtzb_7IYC1LhKU8qFLLahJuQDJSaO.ttf.

D


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

You need to use a true double-quote when adding the font. Change this:

<link href='http://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Waiting+for+the+Sunrise|Montserrat:400,700' rel='stylesheet' type='text/css'>

to this:

<link href="http://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Waiting+for+the+Sunrise|Montserrat:400,700" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">

And the Action will work as you expect.

Walter

On Nov 25, 2013, at 5:04 PM, george wrote:

https://www.videostitch.me/home.html


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

I changed it to a double-quote (which is not what google supplies) and it didn’t change anything.

See anything else I may have messed up?

Thanks.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

I know what it is. Definitely. The code is being added through the Page / HTML Markup, so you need to add the s there yourself. The Action can’t see it because it’s raw code, not a true link tag within the Freeway document model. I deliberately didn’t make the Action convert the page to HTML and trawl through the raw code. I was assuming you were using an Action to add the Web font, which would have made the link as a true Freeway tag, not just raw code.

Freeway Actions are enormously powerful, but they live in two diametrically opposed worlds. In the first, they act on the Freeway document itself, creating or modifying tags within the Freeway document. These are full-fledged software objects, and they have attributes and methods and can be interacted with at a high level. If an Action modifies an object in the document, then another Action can further modify the resulting tag, and so on until the page is frozen into code.

However, on the other hand, an Action can force an object to be converted to HTML, and then perform traditional text-processing operations on the result. This is a final step – no other Action coming along later can further modify the result, because it’s been converted to text, and the only way that another Action could act on it would be to convert the entire page to HTML and do find-and-replace tricks with the code. It’s no longer an object, it can’t be found as an object or interrogated for its current properties or have methods applied to it. It’s both more flexible and less, if you see what I mean.

Walter

On Nov 25, 2013, at 7:26 PM, george wrote:

I changed it to a double-quote (which is not what google supplies) and it didn’t change anything.

See anything else I may have messed up?

Thanks.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

I manually changed the google font urls to https and it still doesn’t allow links to work in Firefox.

I did everything on a new page just to make sure there was no caching issue.

https://www.videostitch.me/videostitchpricing.html


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Just for fun, switch this page to HTML5. If you’re still using Freeway 5.x, use my HTML5 Action to do the deed. There’s an http:// in the doctype, leading to the W3.org server. An HTML5 doctype doesn’t have that URL in it at all. The only other link on the page that isn’t either relative (and thus implicitly secure) is on the ‘consumersignupb.jpeg’ image. That one points to http://www.videostitch.me. Should that one be https as well?

Walter

On Nov 25, 2013, at 11:50 PM, george wrote:

I manually changed the google font urls to https and it still doesn’t allow links to work in Firefox.

I did everything on a new page just to make sure there was no caching issue.

https://www.videostitch.me/videostitchpricing.html


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

I tried the HTML5 Action - no dice.

https://www.videostitch.me/videostitchhow.html


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Your problem isn’t anything to do with HTTPs or mixed content links – it’s a DIV that’s covering the entire page.

In Firefox, your page item labeled item25b1 is covering nearly the entire page, probably to do with floats above it not clearing properly. Try locating that item and moving it up or down the layer order, see if you can get it to stay out of the way of the other elements on the page.

On this page, you didn’t change http to https in the font link, so the Google fonts aren’t loading for me in Firefox.

Walter

On Nov 26, 2013, at 2:04 PM, george wrote:

I tried the HTML5 Action - no dice.

https://www.videostitch.me/videostitchhow.html


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options