[Pro] FWP 5.6.5 Color?

Ernie, I always use TINYPNG to shrink my 24-bit PNGs into 8-bit PNGs, and yes I agree that most of the time they look pretty good.

But it’s not necessary the “end of story” yet because what profile is Safari applying to images? I would assume sRGB? If so, why then wouldn’t my sRGB images display in Safari with no color changes?

FURTHERMORE, I performed the following test, and I think anyone pondering this issue will find it very interesting…

1. Launch Freeway 7 Pro.
  2. Make page background F0F0F2.
  3. Launch Photoshop (or Graphic Converter) and paint the background F0F0F2 and save it as a 24-bit PNG (make sure it’s sRGB).
  4. Switch to Freeway and import your PNG into an HTML box as a pass-thru.
  5. Preview in Safari.
  6. Take a screenshot.
  7. Switch to Photoshop, New Document, Paste.
  8. With the Info palette open, mouseover the screenshot and note that only the page background is F0F0F2, but your pass-thru colors have changed.
  9. NOW, return to Freeway and create a new document.
  10. Make the page background F0F0F2.
  11. Sketch a Graphics box on the page and color it F0F0F2, and make it a PNG with millions of colors.
  12. Preview in Safari.
  13. Take a screenshot.
  14. Switch to Photoshop, New document, Paste.
  15. Note that everything is F0F0F2 now! Holy Moly! That certainly WAS NOT “the end of the story,” now was it? Explain that. But wait! There’s more.
  16. Switch back to Freeway and sketch a smaller Graphics box inside your F0F0F2 graphics box, and color your new, smaller Graphics box something like red or blue (something other than F0F0F2). And make sure both Graphics boxes are set to combine (so Freeway exports only a single graphic on Publish)
  17. Preview.
  18. Take a screenshot.
  19. Switch to Photoshop, New Document, Paste.
  20. Now when you check colors only the page background is F0F0F2, but the F0F0F2 in your bigger Graphics box is no longer F0F0F2! Explain that!

It doesn’t matter if it is a “there’s nothing we can do” situation. I want to know THE TECHNICAL EXPLANATION for what is going on in Safari.

Thomas, I always run the latest version of OS X on my late 2015 retina 5K iMac. I am using 10.11.4 right now.

James Wages

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at: