[Pro] How to see code view?

I ran validation on this page and received an error about using the wrong line break code on one of my lines of body text.

When I’m in page view in Freeway Pro, how do I get into
code view so I can correct the code error?

Thanks.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

When I’m in page view in Freeway Pro, how do I get into code view so I can correct the code error?

You dont - there isn’t one.

But you can View Source of the resulting html page or choose a text editor as one of your Preview helper apps in the same way you can choose different browsers.

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Are you using any Actions or pasting anything into the Page / HTML Markup dialogs that you copied from a source not under your control? Freeway pretty much cannot (by itself) create a file with mixed line-endings, which is what this error report sounds like it’s trying to tell you.

Walter

On Jun 27, 2012, at 2:03 PM, DeltaDave wrote:

When I’m in page view in Freeway Pro, how do I get into code view so I can correct the code error?

You dont - there isn’t one.

But you can View Source of the resulting html page or choose a text editor as one of your Preview helper apps in the same way you can choose different browsers.

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Replying to Delta Dave:

I don’t understand what you mean by “choose a text editor as one of your Preview helper apps in the same way you can choose different browsers.”

How do you do that? I don’t know how.

Replying to Waltd:

I copied and pasted formatted text from one Freeway Pro doc. to my current one into HTML boxes I drew on my FP page. Is that what you mean?

Here’s the error message I received from W3 validator site:

Line 169, Column 283: non SGML character number 3

…br/>showcases clients we’ve delighted by our deft use of
design, bringin…

:email:

You have used an illegal character in your text. HTML uses the standard UNICODE Consortium character repertoire, and it leaves undefined (among others) 65 character codes (0 to 31 inclusive and 127 to 159 inclusive) that are sometimes used for typographical quote marks and similar in proprietary character sets. The validator has found one of these undefined characters in your document. The character may appear on your browser as a curly quote, or a trademark symbol, or some other fancy glyph; on a different computer, however, it will likely appear as a completely different character, or nothing at all.

Your best bet is to replace the character with the nearest equivalent ASCII character, or to use an appropriate character entity. For more information on Character Encoding on the web, see Alan Flavell’s excellent HTML Character Set Issues reference.

This error can also be triggered by formatting characters embedded in documents by some word processors. If you use a word processor to edit your HTML documents, be sure to use the “Save as ASCII” or similar command to save the document without formatting information.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

On Jun 27, 2012, at 2:35 PM, chickdesign wrote:

Replying to Delta Dave:

I don’t understand what you mean by “choose a text editor as one of your Preview helper apps in the same way you can choose different browsers.”

How do you do that? I don’t know how.

In the File / Preview in Browser menu item, there is a sub-menu option to configure the preview targets (not in front of Freeway at the moment, so you’ll have to hunt for it). When you enable that option, you’ll see a list of your currently-installed browsers.

You can add any other application that can edit a text file on your Mac to that list. I have BBEdit and Textmate set as “browsers” in mine. Then, instead of pulling down to Preview in Browser and taking the default, or an alternate browser like Firefox or Chrome, you can choose a programmer’s text editor instead, and see a very clear view of what Freeway has generated for you.

You can edit the code, but realize that the next time you publish, Freeway will override your changes and restore the original. This is by design.

Replying to Waltd:

I copied and pasted formatted text from one Freeway Pro doc. to my current one into HTML boxes I drew on my FP page. Is that what you mean?

Here’s the error message I received from W3 validator site:

Line 169, Column 283: non SGML character number 3

…br/>showcases clients we’ve delighted by our deft use of
design, bringin…

:email:

It’s probably something invisible – a space that’s not a real space, for example. This is another reason to have a good programmer’s text editor at hand. If you cut the offending text out of your Freeway layout, paste it into a plain-text editor like the two I mentioned, or BBEdit’s little (free) brother TextWrangler, and turn on the option to view invisibles (tabs and spaces each get their own special glyph so you can tell them apart), you may be able to see the problem directly. More likely, because of the way the Mac’s clipboard works, the offending character will be stripped in the process of converting to plain text. In any case, once you have a clean version of the text, copying it out of your text editor and pasting it back into Freeway should clean up the problem for good.

This is a very specific answer to your problem, but it brings up a more general point about Freeway: Freeway is a generator, not an editor. When you make changes to your layout in Freeway, you’re not editing any HTML. There’s no HTML in the .freeway file that you save when you quit Freeway. But when you publish, the internal file format is used as the source for valid, standards-compliant code. This is a one-way process – the equivalent of pieces of paper coming out of your laser printer. There is no connection between the exported product and the Freeway file that created it.

Hope this helps.

Oh, and before you fix this, please save a copy of the file and send it to support(a)softpress.com for dissection. The fact that Freeway was able to make an illegal Unicode code-point – especially by copy and paste from another document – is worrying to me. I don’t work for them (although this week it seems like I do) but I know their antennae will be waving about that.

Walter

You have used an illegal character in your text. HTML uses the standard UNICODE Consortium character repertoire, and it leaves undefined (among others) 65 character codes (0 to 31 inclusive and 127 to 159 inclusive) that are sometimes used for typographical quote marks and similar in proprietary character sets. The validator has found one of these undefined characters in your document. The character may appear on your browser as a curly quote, or a trademark symbol, or some other fancy glyph; on a different computer, however, it will likely appear as a completely different character, or nothing at all.

Your best bet is to replace the character with the nearest equivalent ASCII character, or to use an appropriate character entity. For more information on Character Encoding on the web, see Alan Flavell’s excellent HTML Character Set Issues reference.

This error can also be triggered by formatting characters embedded in documents by some word processors. If you use a word processor to edit your HTML documents, be sure to use the “Save as ASCII” or similar command to save the document without formatting information.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Walter,
I just wanted to say “Thanks” for your replies. I was able to find my code using TextWrangler (BBEdits’s free sibling). Now, I am stuck on something else, but I am making progress!! :slight_smile:

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden