[Pro] How To Stop Video When Hiding Layer?

Here is the set-up:

In order to create an intro video that autoplays over the homepage when the website is first opened, I have created the following:

• HTML parent layer item the size of the whole home page with opaque background to partially obscure the main home page. This has the Target Show/Hide Layer action applied.
  • HTML child layer item in the middle containing the .mov file that autoplays upon page load. This has no actions applied to it.
    -Graphic child layer item serving as the button/trigger for hiding these layers (upon click) and exposing the homepage. This has the Rollover action applied to it set to trigger on click (preload is activated on this).

Problem - when the button is clicked before the end of the video, the layers hide, but the video continues to play (unseen) as evidenced by the audio which continues until it’s natural end.

I do know that applying the Fade effect in the Target Show/Hide Layer action accomplishes what I am trying to do (in most browsers except Firefox) - stop the video upon click and in conjunction with the fade out. HOWEVER, the tradeoff that I am not ready to accept is that this effect also slows down the loading of the video. The result is that, upon loading the page, one actually sees the homepage, unobscured for a moment before the intro video (and opaque layer) come on over it. No good.

From the Want-My-Cake-And-Eat-It-Too department, I really like the fade out of the intro video and opaque layer and would love to have that and its accompanying video autostop, but I’ve GOT to have the video load as efficiently as possible (it’s 745kb, .mov, H.264, with mp3 audio, 23sec duration).

Any suggestions on how I can have it all?

Thanks,

Aaron

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

With the built-in Actions, no. But if you look at ScriptyLightbox2, that auto-stops a playing movie or Flash animation. I don’t have a method built in to it that can cause a lightbox to appear on page load, but you might be able to hack that into the page with Protaculous. (I’m personally not a huge fan of this behavior in Web sites, I don’t recommend you do this, but it should be possible.)

Walter

On Sep 8, 2012, at 2:41 AM, Aaron Corey wrote:

Here is the set-up:

In order to create an intro video that autoplays over the homepage when the website is first opened, I have created the following:

• HTML parent layer item the size of the whole home page with opaque background to partially obscure the main home page. This has the Target Show/Hide Layer action applied.
  • HTML child layer item in the middle containing the .mov file that autoplays upon page load. This has no actions applied to it.
    -Graphic child layer item serving as the button/trigger for hiding these layers (upon click) and exposing the homepage. This has the Rollover action applied to it set to trigger on click (preload is activated on this).

Problem - when the button is clicked before the end of the video, the layers hide, but the video continues to play (unseen) as evidenced by the audio which continues until it’s natural end.

I do know that applying the Fade effect in the Target Show/Hide Layer action accomplishes what I am trying to do (in most browsers except Firefox) - stop the video upon click and in conjunction with the fade out. HOWEVER, the tradeoff that I am not ready to accept is that this effect also slows down the loading of the video. The result is that, upon loading the page, one actually sees the homepage, unobscured for a moment before the intro video (and opaque layer) come on over it. No good.

From the Want-My-Cake-And-Eat-It-Too department, I really like the fade out of the intro video and opaque layer and would love to have that and its accompanying video autostop, but I’ve GOT to have the video load as efficiently as possible (it’s 745kb, .mov, H.264, with mp3 audio, 23sec duration).

Any suggestions on how I can have it all?

Thanks,

Aaron

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I also have to agree that to force a video to load on a landing page - and by design slow down the visitor from seeing content - is a no no.

Whether to view video or not should always be a visitors choice.

Anything that slows down page load is going to reduce the number of visitors that hang about - not worth the risk!

David

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I appreciate both comments - especially since my business partner and I have debated this point with me falling on the same side as you all.

I’m really setting it up as more of a proof-of-concept so we can carry on our debate with something to look at.

That said, for those that want to know another option for accomplishing this, I did find a suggestion from Walter in an old post that walks one through the steps of setting up the Timed Spawn New Window action. This seems to be the cleanest way to accomplish what I was trying to do.

I’m curious if you feel the same way about walk-out videos…

Thanks again. I really value your opinions…

Aaron

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I appreciate both comments - especially since my business partner and I have debated this point with me falling on the same side as you all.

I’m really setting it up as more of a proof-of-concept so we can carry on our debate with something to look at.

That said, for those that want to know another option for accomplishing this, I did find a suggestion from Walter in an old post that walks one through the steps of setting up the Timed Spawn New Window action. This seems to be the cleanest way to accomplish what I was trying to do.

I’m curious if you feel the same way about walk-out videos…

Thanks again. I really value your opinions…

Aaron

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden