[Pro] Inspector max-width property not sticking

Part of my normal inflow routine is to use the max-width property found in the Dimensions pane of the Inspector. The effect is to create a flexible inflow element that narrows when the browser narrows its container under the max-width limit.

However, since Freeway 7 the Inspector doesn’t want to preserve that setting, and keeps reverting to width of its container. Is anyone else having this problem? I’d really like to elevate the developers attention to this issue.

http://cssway.thebigerns.com/max-width-inspector-values/


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Always, always, always. It’s adding hours to each responsive project I’m working on.

It’s getting me thinking I should use something like Macaw to build CMS templates - but then that’s got it’s problems too.

David

On 24 Feb 2015, at 09:14, The Big Erns email@hidden wrote:

Is anyone else having this problem? I’d really like to elevate the developers attention to this issue.

http://cssway.thebigerns.com/max-width-inspector-values/


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Hum - what’s wrong, when a WYSIWYG editor uses the max-width as a referral for displaying the situation in a (static) workspace?

I mean - it’s the maximum width of those specific items - they can’t be bigger.

Key visual spoken, I’d be even confused, if an item is displayed according to its parent (e.g. 1200px), but in “reality” won’t grow bigger than 812px.

@David:

not sure what you’re trying to tell us here. I found out a rock-solid basic construction (following bootstrap) and by this, I create a grid within minutes. The most work is to rename items - and even this won’t take me hours.

Sure - I use the “one-DIV-more” rather than “gosh-I-tink-I-miss-an-item” method. One would call it DIVITIS - I call it a div, nothing else.

This ensures, that the “responsive part” is so easy to achieve, cause my workspace is mostly following theGrid. This is what I started to call GridMeister.

The implementing of the required CMS parts should be A-walk-through-the-Park.

That said, there is of course lots of things to do - mainly the “responsive styles” and a slightly liberal attitude towards em and rem, rgba and all the required fancy stuff.

My 2c

Cheers

Thomas


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Thomas see here…

Sometimes this happen on other breakpoints when don’t notice.

David Owen

http://www.davidowendesign.com

On 25 Feb 2015, at 10:04, Thomas Kimmich email@hidden wrote:

Hum - what’s wrong, when a WYSIWYG editor uses the max-width as a referral for displaying the situation in a (static) workspace?

I mean - it’s the maximum width of those specific items - they can’t be bigger.

Key visual spoken, I’d be even confused, if an item is displayed according to its parent (e.g. 1200px), but in “reality” won’t grow bigger than 812px.

@David:

not sure what you’re trying to tell us here. I found out a rock-solid basic construction (following bootstrap) and by this, I create a grid within minutes. The most work is to rename items - and even this won’t take me hours.

Sure - I use the “one-DIV-more” rather than “gosh-I-tink-I-miss-an-item” method. One would call it DIVITIS - I call it a div, nothing else.

This ensures, that the “responsive part” is so easy to achieve, cause my workspace is mostly following theGrid. This is what I started to call GridMeister.

The implementing of the required CMS parts should be A-walk-through-the-Park.

That said, there is of course lots of things to do - mainly the “responsive styles” and a slightly liberal attitude towards em and rem, rgba and all the required fancy stuff.

My 2c

Cheers

Thomas


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

OK - David I see now and agree.

So it’s buggy whenever trying to mix a “max-width” value with no value (available). I can’t watch under the hood - but it’s pretty hard to calculate something with nothing available.

Probably the same issue as with my salary.

Cheers

Thomas

PS

I wonder if this issue is similar to trying to place an absolute positioned flex-item into a relative one - keeping it consistent throughout your breakpoints, I’m sure you tried it already :-)!


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Thomas,

You’re giving it a value it just loses it until it’s re-input or hand re-sized. If your templates need a change of max-width in multiple sections and pages and sometimes break points there’s this re-size dance again and again. Frustrating.

David

http://www.davidowendesign.com

On 25 Feb 2015, at 13:01, Thomas Kimmich email@hidden wrote:

So it’s buggy whenever trying to mix a “max-width” value with no value (available).


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

You’re giving it a value it just loses it until it’s re-input or hand re-sized.

You do - but a “dynamic value” which allows the parent to take space as much as possible - and this is what happens (unfortunately).

I love difficult discussions.

Point is, that my basic construction (attitude) is slightly different from yours, cause in each device-range, my #content-centre has a fixed percentage value (which can be even the max-width if it is the biggest device-range).

On each breakpoint, I discuss the width of #content-centre new. So I mostly end up in something like:

  • Desktop_medium: 75%
  • Tablet: 90%
  • Mobile: 100%

So a max-width is only needed on Desktop_medium and is in my case equal to the width-value taken from the measurements or even slightly above.

Those percent values can be even math - taken from a static photoshop-design. So assumed this design has a planned width of 1000px and you try to adapt this on an average 21" screen, it’ll end up in something like 59% …

So my method is not based on assumption, it’s based on real needs.

Constraints?

Yeah - cause my artwork will shrink by making browser-window narrower - 'til it reaches the next breakpoint. Plus on max-width, cause it keeps its dimensions until it can shrink.

But you know what? Who - except us crazy web-geeks is doing so?

All I can say is, that the above outlined method is the most rock-solid one - and I did many approaches within the last 3 years - developed with blood and tears starting in 5.5.

Cheers

Thomas


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Are we using this thread about something that needs fixing in Freeway to
discuss the validity of a technique which depends on the thing needing
fixing?

  1. I wish to make items which have an undefined or “available” width which
    is limited only by a max-width setting.
  2. I use Freeway’s Inspector to set these values.
  3. Freeway fails to retain these values.

The only flaw in this technique (that I see) is Freeway’s inability to
retain the entered value… which I see as a flaw or “bug”. If there is some
other disadvantage to the technique that I am not seeing, then perhaps a
different thread would be best for that discussion. I really would like
this thread to be seen by Softpress and for them to focus on the broken
behavior of their software, undistracted by the arcane differences of
technique.

An example of this technique, and a sample file which does not hold a value


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Understood.

Never will ever chime in again in a thread

and recommend

a ticket @softpress_support cause you can’t expect them reading this and I can’t solve Freeway’s issues.

Cheers

Thomas


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Oh and if you change the background colour of the parent div the child loses the max-width property also!

If the max-width div contains divs using 100% width and it flies wide then you can only manually adjust the width back to it’s value. Otherwise all sorts of overflow weirdness happens.

David Owen

http://www.davidowendesign.com

On 25 Feb 2015, at 13:24, David Owen email@hidden wrote:

You’re giving it a value it just loses it until it’s re-input or hand re-sized. If your templates need a change of max-width in multiple sections and pages and sometimes break points there’s this re-size dance again and again. Frustrating.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options