[Pro] .Mac Homepage is not working after July 7

I have just received the following:- MobileMe Account Notification

Dear MobileMe member:

On July 7, 2009, the .Mac HomePage web application will be discontinued. As of this date, you will no longer be able to create new pages or edit existing pages using HomePage. Any pages you’ve already published will remain live at their current web address for as long as you like. If you need to make changes to your existing pages, please do so before July 7.

I have a small website of 16000 web files www.ivydenegardens.co.uk on my .Mac Homepage. Any ideas of how and where to move it so that I can continue to create it using Freeway Pro and upload it using TRANSMIT 4?

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

That’s strange, why are they doing that?

Anyway, you could just change to normal hosting, probably cheaper than .mac anyway!..

Just find a host and buy hosting (I use one.com, though you may wish to find another as you already own the domain name), then you can either upload via FTP using TRANSMIT 4 or just use the built in upload tool in Freeway. It should be simple!..

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks Fergus. I will follow that up.

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden

If you want a specifically Freeway Friendly host, there’s http://www.ineedwebhosting.co.uk
. I’ve just transferred a site to them from another host without
hassle. Its control panel is very easy to use, if you still want to
keep administration simple, yet there’s plenty on offer for future
expansion of your web site.

Colin

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden

I think a LOT of people are misreading that message from Apple. You won’t be able to use Apple’s HomePage, the program to update your web pages. But, if I read the full message right, which you did not include here but I’ve pasted below, you will be able to continue to host your site on MobileMe and edit it with any other app such as iWeb or of course Freeway. See what I’ve emphasized below.

Dear MobileMe member:

On July 7, 2009, the .Mac HomePage web application will be discontinued. As of this date, you will no longer be able to create new pages or edit existing pages using HomePage. Any pages you’ve already published will remain live at their current web address for as long as you like. If you need to make changes to your existing pages, please do so before July 7.

Instead of HomePage, we recommend the other sharing features of your MobileMe membership. With MobileMe Gallery, you can share photos online directly from iPhoto or the web application at www.me.com. And using iWeb on your Mac, you can create custom websites and blogs and publish them to MobileMe.

We apologize for any inconvenience this change may cause. For more information, please read this FAQ. And thank you for being a MobileMe member.

Sincerely,

The MobileMe Team

(Was HomePage an online program to edit .Mac web pages or a downloaded program that came with the other .Mac software?)

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden

I think you may be right Joe, I did a trial of it (when it was still .mac) and they had a ‘homepage’ tool for building websites, it was a horrible thing, like a really slow rubbish version of iWeb…no wonder they’re getting rid of it. That’s probably it though, I didn’t think they’d get rid of all the hosting functions just after setting up MobileMe!

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden

Sometime around 13/4/09 (at 17:17 -0400) Joe Muscara said:

(Was HomePage an online program to edit .Mac web pages or a
downloaded program that came with the other .Mac software?)

Once upon a time there was Claris HomePage, a competitor to PageMill
which was, coincidentally, published by a wholly-owned subsidiary of
Apple. Both are long dead; HomePage in this context is a web-based
app/service. And in fact it was originally scheduled to be axed back
in October last year.

k

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden

I contacted MobileMe and this is the result:-

MobileMe Chat Support Transcript - Do Not Reply To This Message
General Info
Chat start time Apr 13, 2009 6:18:12 PM EST
Chat end time Apr 13, 2009 7:12:01 PM EST
Duration (actual chatting time) 00:53:49
Operator Joe T
Chat Transcript
info: queue_cmd:1:0:1
info: Hi, my name is Joe T. Welcome to Apple!
chris Garnons-Williams: hi
Joe T: Hello Chris, I understand that you were concerned about your Homepage website’s access after July 7th, is that correct?
chris Garnons-Williams: yes it is. I have over 90 separate documents with over 16000 web files on the whole site
chris Garnons-Williams: and I change it every day.
Joe T: I’m sorry for the delay. I’ll be right with you.
Joe T: Understood. The main thing that is ending on July 7th is the access to the Homepage utility that is used to create or edit those pages. You will still be able to access the pages from the iDisk directly. The files are located under the Sites folder on the iDisk.
chris Garnons-Williams: The website is www.ivydenegardens.co.uk and it contains photos of plants and insects for the public to be able to choose plants
Joe T: If you are manually uploading or changing those pages without Homepage, your access to this folder will not be affected, and public access will still be open to be able to view the websites.
chris Garnons-Williams: I have never used Homepage to edit or create those pages. Freeway has created them and Transmit program has uploaded them can that still continue?
Joe T: You will still be able to access the folder to add or delete as you wish from it, yes, the email is concerned primarily with the Homepage application itself and pages created through it.
chris Garnons-Williams: So the website will still be called homepage.com@ivydenegardens?
Joe T: I’ll be right with you.
Joe T: Yes, the website itself will still be accessible in the same manner. I am unable to find any account matching your name or the alternate email address you provided. What is the username that you use currently to access your iDisk?
chris Garnons-Williams: I can not remember, since I use Transmit Program to do it for me. The website on the Idisk is //homepage.mac.com/gardensbyivydene/
Joe T: Thank you for waiting. I’ll be with you in just a moment.
Joe T: Ok, the username would be gardensbyivydene, then. If you later decide that you wish to publish through the default MobileMe website instead, we do have information on how to upload that information to the iDisk as well, found here:
Joe T: MobileMe: How to publish a custom website
chris Garnons-Williams: can you find homepage.mac.com/
Joe T: The homepage.mac.com Utility will continue to be usable until July 7, 2009. After that point the website will only be accessible through its normal URL.
chris Garnons-Williams: I have created separate folders on my site folder about 90 or so so that each has its own resources, but the publiosh a custom website seems to assume that I use Iphoto and have web galleries intead of my own freeway generated galleries.
chris Garnons-Williams: What is the website normal URL?
Joe T: No, the instructions found near the bottom of the article are to generate the Web folder that MobileMe websites are published to. Normally iWeb automatically creates the folder when first publishing to MobileMe, but if you do not use iWeb, creating an Album in the MobileMe Gallery will also automatically generate the Web/Sites folder on the iDisk.
chris Garnons-Williams: Presumably this means that homepage.mac.com/gardensbyivydene/ from the 7 of july cannot be changed except deleted since the utility that serves it will no longer be operational?
Joe T: For a website published under MobileMe to your account, the default URL would be: http://web.me.com/gardensbyivydene
If publishing multiple sites, it would then be http://web.me.com/gardensbyivydene/sitename, where sitename is the folder name located under Web/Sites on the iDisk.
Joe T: If you were publishing directly to the iDisk before to edit or change your existing website, you should still be able to do so after July 7, 2009. The Homepage utility can be used to create the website, but it is not required for it, similar to how websites published to MobileMe can be done through iWeb, but it is not required.
chris Garnons-Williams: So I need to change my site folder from homepage.mac.com to web.me.com and then create all the same subfolders as I have at the moment before the 7th of July so that after the 7th I can update my website?
Joe T: Thank you for waiting. I’ll be with you in just a moment.
Joe T: I’m sorry for the delay. I’ll be right with you.
Joe T: To my knowledge, you should still be able to access the site files and edit them directly from the iDisk under the Sites folder, it is only the Homepage web application that is being discontinued on July 7, 2009.
Joe T: Most people who had created sites under Homepage did so using the Homepage application rather than 3rd party web publishing software. The email that went out was primarily intended to notify users that the Homepage application itself would be discontinued.
chris Garnons-Williams: So what is the application that runs my website in my sites folder on the Idisk?
chris Garnons-Williams: So Homepage is a website creation program like Freeway, not the application that uploads it or runs it on Idisk?
Joe T: The Homepage application is only used to create webpages, it does not actually run them. The website’s files themselves are what generate the website. Their location on your iDisk determines if the URL is homepage.mac.com/gardensbyivydene (under Sites folder) or web.me.com/gardensbyivydene (under Web/Sites).
Joe T: Correct, yes. Basically Homepage was a free web application for creating websites. As most of its functions are now available in iWeb and have been expanded or improved upon, Homepage is now being phased out. Websites using the homepage.mac.com as part of their URL will be otherwise unaffected, just not editable from Homepage.
chris Garnons-Williams: Thank you. That means after the 7 of July I can still use homepage.mac.com/gardensbyivydene, update it using Transmit 4 and it will still work?
Joe T: Correct. Your access to the folder on the iDisk that the site is published from will not be affected, only access to the Homepage application.
Joe T: Are there any other issues regarding MobileMe that I can address for you at this time?
chris Garnons-Williams: Sorry to waste your time. Thanks for that information. The site will eventually be over 100,000 web files, since I intend to put all 70,000 plants sold and/or grown in the UK on it and all native UK insects.
Joe T: Not a waste at all, Chris. That’s what we’re here for. I must say the site is quite impressive already!
Joe T: If you do have any other concerns or issues, though, definitely feel free to contact us again. I’m glad to have been able to help you with MobileMe. Take care, Chris, and have a great day!
chris Garnons-Williams: No , thanks for your time. It is just that for some of us who are simply creating their own website, and not creating websites for others it can be a bit worrying if it looks from an email, that we will have to change and move away from an apple mac account for our website. Enjoy the site. it is free to use. Thanks again. Good night.
Joe T: Thank you for chatting with us. We value your feedback. Please click the blue “Close” button at top left to answer a few questions about your experience with us today.

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden