[Pro] Missing Site Folder

I have been using Freeway Pro, on and off, for a few years without many problems.
However, this weekend I started to build a new site using Freeway Pro 5.6.5.
As usual, there is now a folder inside my Documents folder which has the name of the site which I am building.
However, there is no Site Folder or Media Folder, when there always has been one in the past.
The media folder is not a problem as I can just create one but the Site Folder does not work that way. I put all the site stuff into a Folder called Site Folder, make some changes, save it and publish and all the pages are save outside of that Site Folder.
Did something change that I missed.
OS X 10.8.3
Thanks
Peter

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

there is no Site Folder or Media Folder

FW only creates these if you start off using one of the templates - otherwise you have to do it yourself.

I put all the site stuff into a Folder called Site Folder

What stuff? You designate/create a Site folder in File>Document Setup under the Document Tab half way down.

From that point on FW moves ‘stuff’ into the Site folder and you shouldn’t need to go there - unless you particularly know what you are doing.

So my advice would be to create ‘in the Finder’ a new Site Folder within your Project folder giving it a suitable name.

Once you have done this then use File>Document Setup and select this new ‘Site’ Folder.

When you next Preview or Publish FW will create all the relevant html pages and Resources inside the new ‘Site’ folder and you can delete any other stuff that is scattered willy nilly.

Just make sure that you don’t delete any of the original image files which should of course be placed in the Media folder where you can keep them all together.

Personally I copy all the images etc, that I will be using into the Media folder and keep the originals elsewhere.

Then when I import I only import from within the Media folder.

David

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks,

That answers my question nicely.

Excuse my use of the term “stuff” to cover the files created by Freeway.

Thanks again

Peter

Sent from my iPhone

On May 26, 2013, at 15:28, DeltaDave email@hidden wrote:

FW only creates these if you start off using one of the templates - otherwise you have to do it yourself.

What stuff? You designate/create a Site folder in File>Document Setup under the Document Tab half way down.

From that point on FW moves ‘stuff’ into the Site folder and you shouldn’t need to go there - unless you particularly know what you are doing.

So my advice would be to create ‘in the Finder’ a new Site Folder within your Project folder giving it a suitable name.

Once you have done this then use File>Document Setup and select this new ‘Site’ Folder.

When you next Preview or Publish FW will create all the relevant html pages and Resources inside the new ‘Site’ folder and you can delete any other stuff that is scattered willy nilly.

Just make sure that you don’t delete any of the original image files which should of course be placed in the Media folder where you can keep them all together.

Personally I copy all the images etc, that I will be using into the Media folder and keep the originals elsewhere.

David

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I’m laughing here, because “stuff” is actually a good conceptual match to the way that Freeway “thinks” about its own output.

Freeway cares deeply about the content and structure of its own documents (.freeway files). Related to this, it maintains a good working knowledge of any external file you have referenced during the creation of your document. These links (to original files, maybe high-resolution PSD files, maybe Web-ready JPEG) are managed using a data structure similar to how Finder manages Alias files, which means they survive the original being moved (as long as that move doesn’t cross volume boundaries) and they can be repaired when broken (Edit / Resources – Locate). The original file is never altered in any way by Freeway or its Actions, only duplicates are made during the publish process.

So when Freeway publishes a site, it generates HTML, duplicates (or resampled, resized, cropped duplicates) of original images, JavaScript, CSS, folders… whatever, in short, your design requires to be shown in a browser. This collection of files goes into a neat nested structure in a Site Folder you’ve designated in the Document Setup dialog, and then the next time you publish, it all gets made over again. Freeway doesn’t ever read the contents of that folder, except to check if any changes were made outside of its view. Any changes will be overridden by a new copy of what Freeway believes the correct file structure should be. In short, it’s a write-only cache of the site, and Freeway never uses it as the basis for its own view of the site or the foundation for any changes.

So incredibly long-winded explanation to say that “stuff” is probably appropriate here – Freeway literally doesn’t care about these files at all. If you wreck them, it will just make more. It never consults them when you make a change to your layout, it really just doesn’t matter at all.

Walter

On May 26, 2013, at 4:35 PM, Peter Saward wrote:

Thanks,

That answers my question nicely.

Excuse my use of the term “stuff” to cover the files created by Freeway.

Thanks again

Peter

Sent from my iPhone

On May 26, 2013, at 15:28, DeltaDave email@hidden wrote:

David

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden