[Pro] New MAC OS Mojave 10.14

Hi…
This morning, after updating my MAC OS to the latest Mojave 10.14, Freeway open a window telling me about not working with the next version of OS…

Is Freeway will be updated to work on the next OS update or I have to look, again, for another software ?

Thank you

DLA

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

This has been discussed here a lot, fairly recently. Here’s the synopsis as I understand it:

1. Mac applications can be written using a variety of high-level programming languages, with the resulting application being compiled down to “machine code” that the hardware can understand as the last step in the process. In order that application developers don’t need to re-invent the wheel with each project, Mac OS provides libraries of “toolbox code” that all apps can share, known as the foundation frameworks. In addition, there are application frameworks that provide the skeleton of an application, so that developers get an additional boost.

2. Freeway 7 (and previous) is a 32-bit* application, written in the C++ programming language, using the MacApp framework, which is running on the Carbon foundation frameworks (basically the legacy of Mac OS <= 8) in MacOS X.

3. Apple have been pushing for all applications to become 64-bit for several generations of the OS. This warning message is just a reminder of that. No specific deadline is known outside of Apple for the full-scale requirement of all apps to be 64-bit.

4. Since 2001, Apple have provided the Cocoa frameworks and Objective-C language for developers to write new applications. (There is no way to convert Carbon to Cocoa programmatically – it’s a rewrite.) In recent years, all of Cocoa have been made fully 64-bit, and the Swift programming language was also released. Objective-C allows for C (and maybe C++) libraries to be composed into larger application bundles, so potentially parts of the existing Freeway code base could be re-used as modules within a new Freeway. It’s not clear to me whether the 64-bit rule would apply to these modules or not. I am also not sure if Swift (which is a re-imagining of Objective-C, with an emphasis on bringing in features from more dynamic languages) allows for this sort of code-mixing as a native feature.

5. Jeremy Hughes, one of the original developers of Freeway, has announced on this list that he is currently working to re-write Freeway in Swift, with the goal of replacing the application with a modern-framework equivalent. This would be 64-bit by default. Softpress as a company is traditionally tight-lipped about new releases, and anyone outside the company (like me) would either not know at all, or be bound by an NDA to not say anything.

TL;DR: Yay, Jeremy! May your bicycle clips never rust! We are all cheering for you!

Walter

*32-bit vs 64-bit refers to how data (which in the end, is all that a program is) are stored and retrieved. 32-bit numbers can be 2^32 -1 different values, and 63-bit numbers can be 2^64 -1 different values – considerably more. A 32-bit application may only address 2 GB of RAM, and I don’t remember what 64 gets you, but it’s dramatically higher, like Terabytes of RAM.

On Oct 12, 2018, at 8:52 AM, Denis Landry via freewaytalk email@hidden wrote:

Hi…
This morning, after updating my MAC OS to the latest Mojave 10.14, Freeway open a window telling me about not working with the next version of OS…

Is Freeway will be updated to work on the next OS update or I have to look, again, for another software ?

Thank you

DLA

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

We’re working on a 64-bit version of Freeway.

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

On 12 Oct 2018, 1:48 pm, waltd wrote:

1. Apple have been pushing for all applications to become 64-bit for several generations of the OS. This warning message is just a reminder of that. No specific deadline is known outside of Apple for the full-scale requirement of all apps to be 64-bit.

IIRC, Apple has said Mojave will be the last version of macOS that supports 32-bit apps. Most likely, this means that macOS 10.15 (Mojave is 10.14) will be 64-bit only. macOS 10.15 will probably ship in fall of 2019 if Apple keeps to its yearly macOS shipping schedule.

Those things could change, but I doubt it.

Joe

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Will buy when it comes! Leif

On 12 Oct 2018, at 17:38, Jeremy Hughes wrote:

We’re working on a 64-bit version of Freeway.

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I am still using Freeway to update some old legacy websites but haven’t built a new site in Freeway since Softpress went bust. I have kept an eye on the discussions but like many professionals, have had no choice but to look elsewhere. I found a few nice alternatives for a chap with few coding skills - I hate Wordpress but needs must occasionally - but none give me the options that Freeway does.

I have not upgraded the OS on my main iMac from El Capitan just so I can keep using Freeway. I can’t just lose old work, of course. Clients require updates. So I’ve held off upgrading until now.

As a graphic designer, Freeway always gave me a ton of control and pretty decent SEO add-ons, even if it lacked an awful lot of bells and whistles, like in-built responsive pages, easy animation and easy parallax scrolling (a la Wix ). Most is do-able but requires effort and experience.

However being a Mac user, like most of us, we have iPhones, iPads etc. They have all just updated to iOS 12.01. Unfortunately that now means I will have to upgrade to Mojave to get them to talk to my iMac. For instance, Photos no longer load etc.

I’d love Freeway to come back fighting better than ever with a 64-bit compatible but we all only have so much patience, or rather, clients do!

So I’m having to bite the bullet now, upgrade to Mojave and hope, fingers crossed, that it still talks to Freeway.

PLEASE HURRY and get that 64 bit app written soon, or else even us folk who’ve held on hoping will have no option but to look elsewhere.

Not sure if and how you’d re-launch Freeway as v8 but good luck trying to get back all the old users who’ve already jumped ship. It may well be me next unfortunately…

David

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Another professional, obviously.

[Wikipedia: »…a professional is a member of a profession or any person who earns their living from a specified professional activity.«]

In other words: Exactly the customer(s) you need for paid(!) software…

There’s nothing more to say.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden