[Pro] Not always accressible on a PC

I have had many people tell me that they cannot access my site on a PC. Almost all these people tell me they are using Internet Explorer.This puzzles me, as I have seen it on a PC and of course it works. Is there some obscure issue of which I’m not aware? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

www.joepalsa.com

Joe Palsa

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Hi Joe,

I often gave my cents to design or functionality in the past and I swear not to do it again but here I think I am not far away the gist if I say:

Never - never try to operate with “jumping pages” like this. Calling an index.html with a timed redirect to any subpages is to me one of the most critical things you can do ever.

Assumed, for what ever reason, a system (single PC or a complete Browser generation) is unable to be redirected to whatever, a visitor stucks on an empty (nearly) index page no chance of further or back.

What you are doing here I only use as example, if you send me a message via contact-form and the success page appears. On this success page it says:

“Message successful transmitted … you’ll be automatically redirected to our index in 10 seconds. If this should fail, please click here…”

I recommend to complete rethink your design. An index is what it is: A chance to get an overview who you are and what you do (including google). Wasted if you think the way you thought - and therefore (probably) rightly punished.

Just my cents

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

What Thomas is really trying to say is that an index page that is pure graphics has ZERO SEO karma and that you are wasting your time with it.

Far better to have your opening page (index.html) with the ‘about’ content. It also may be that some flavours of IE are not being redirected.

While we are on the subject of SEO stuff I should mention the Meta tags issue

When I said in a previous post that you should have the Meta Name as description and the content being about what was on that particular page I think you misunderstood.

You have

<meta name="About" content="...is a brief summary of Joe Palsa's work. Folds photographs exploring the hidden beauty and temporary aspects of life, Assemblage paintings, incorporating discarded found objects, White art compositions of various found objects presented in a new context, and On paper work comprising a selection of etchings, drawings, photographs and digital art. ">

When you should have

<meta name="description" content="...is a brief summary of Joe Palsa's work. Folds photographs exploring the hidden beauty and temporary aspects of life, Assemblage paintings, incorporating discarded found objects, White art compositions of various found objects presented in a new context, and On paper work comprising a selection of etchings, drawings, photographs and digital art. ">

You will also score some SEO points if you expand on your page Titles. Currently you have ‘about’ - which on its own is meaningless.

Far better would be - About the fine art of Joe Palsa former advertising creative and art director. Or something along those lines.

David

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Also you appear to have duplicate Meta data. The following is pulled from your index page.

<meta name="Joe Palsa" content="...fine art paintings, photographs and works on paper have won numerous awards and eagerly sought by private collectors, his work is often on display in galleries and in museum exhibits.">
<meta name="Joe Palsa" content="... his fine art paintings, photographs and works on paper have won numerous awards and are private collections around the country. Mr. Palsa's work is often on display in galleries and museum exhibits.">

Go through your Meta tags and remove duplicates and empty ones. It may be you have applied them on a Master and also the child page.

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden