[Pro] Not optimized !

Hi,
I’m using Freeway Pro 7.1.4 (7070)

OS = MacOS High Sierra 10.13.5

Received message about my Freeway Pro version is not optimized for my NEW OS…

Is there a possibility to receive something “fresh” to stop having this message and to be sure it is working 100% with my OS ?

Thank you

Denis

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

You have the latest version. This warning means that the app is not 64-bit, which is true. It will continue to run (Apple have not released a version of Mac OS X that does not run 32-bit applications) but the number of major revisions where that is still true is probably countable on one finger.

Softpress (well, one programmer: Jeremy) is re-writing Freeway in Apple’s modern Swift programming language, using the Cocoa framework, as a 64-bit application. There is no announced date for this to be complete, but rest assured, Softpress and Jeremy are well aware that the clock is ticking in this area.

Walter

On Jul 6, 2018, at 10:27 PM, Denis Landry via freewaytalk email@hidden wrote:

Hi,
I’m using Freeway Pro 7.1.4 (7070)

OS = MacOS High Sierra 10.13.5

Received message about my Freeway Pro version is not optimized for my NEW OS…

Is there a possibility to receive something “fresh” to stop having this message and to be sure it is working 100% with my OS ?

Thank you

Denis

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Hi,

I’m using Freeway (Pro) since Version 3 und have been watching FreewayTalk since almost 2 years (but never postet anything)…

Honestly:

Does anybody here really believe (not just hope) that Softpress will ever come up with a NEW VERSION of Freeway? Since they announced their “comeback” (almost 1.5 years ago) they didn’t communicate anything except “we’re working on it…”

If you honestly work on something you should inform your community with more than that, shouldn’t you?

Or isn’t it more realistic that they will come up with a message like “…sorry users but we decided to give up our business again…” like they did when they first closed down? Over night without any warning, excuse, alternative, solution…

I’ve never seen a company that communicated (or better NOT communicated) in such a bad manor. It’s absolute ridiculous how they treat this community and their customers.

I don’t want to insult anyone in this great forum… but the way Softpress communicates is a shame and not the way a company should behave if they want their (remaining) customers to stay “on board”.

Cheers
freeewaygal

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi freewaygal
I believe…

From what I understand (and I am in no way in a conversation with SP ) the application is being rewritten using swift. I know Jeremy Hughes answers questions when he can but the more answers on this forum, the more he will be diverted away from the rewrite, which is a massive undertaking

It sounds like you are angry, plus frustrated and it’s understandable, but in reality, this is just going to take time. I think it took me three years to rewrite WebYep for php7 compatibility plus all the significant improvements and that’s nothing compared to the amount of work required to rewrite Freeway
Lots of us are trying to bridge the gap between FW7 now and the future release of any new Freeway, so if you have any specific problems then someone here will probably try to help.

all the best Max

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Really need to know if SoftPress is going to address this 32-bit issue … time is running out and we need to migrate to another program if SoftPress isn’t going to upgrade Freeway Pro for 64-bit. The lack of communication about this has been more than frustrating. I know it takes time, but at least communicate and tell us what to expect.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

We’re working on a 64-bit version of Freeway.

Apple have abandoned many of the (32-bit) APIs that Freeway uses - so we’re rewriting it from scratch. This is a major undertaking compared with previous transitions (such as the transition from OS 9 to OS X) but we’re making good progress.

There isn’t any lack of communication on our part. We’ve posted about this repeatedly.

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I get about 60 valid results from this search alone:

https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/search_results.html?forum=0&person=0&object=message&search="64-bit"&searchfilter=none

before they start to tail off into the natural language results for parts of the phrase.

Walter

On Feb 19, 2019, at 9:46 AM, Jeremy Hughes email@hidden wrote:

We’re working on a 64-bit version of Freeway.

Apple have abandoned many of the (32-bit) APIs that Freeway uses - so we’re rewriting it from scratch. This is a major undertaking compared with previous transitions (such as the transition from OS 9 to OS X) but we’re making good progress.

There isn’t any lack of communication on our part. We’ve posted about this repeatedly.

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

“We’re working on it” is not really adequate communication. Many of us have businesses based on websites designed with FP and SoftPress’ lack of support for it over the last few years has been, frankly, scary.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I’m not sure I can help you with this. Your expectations exceed what a rational company would (or could) promise to its users. If you’re not comfortable with your current risk assessment, then that’s probably a rational point of view for you to have, and you should examine your options and plan for a future where Softpress doesn’t make it on time.

That said, understand that you can choose not to upgrade your Mac for a while, and continue to use the existing application, which is compatible with Mojave. There is certainly a lot of precedent for this in the professional audio recording industry, where people have to wait years after a new OS to get support in their DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) software. Logic, since it comes from Apple, stays up to date with the OS, but ProTools is notorious for taking years (plural) to catch up to a new paradigm. Some people jump ship to Windows in protest, but that’s shooting off your own face with a shotgun to spite your nose hairs, in my opinion.

Walter

On Feb 19, 2019, at 10:46 AM, madcomposter email@hidden wrote:

“We’re working on it” is not really adequate communication. Many of us have businesses based on websites designed with FP and SoftPress’ lack of support for it over the last few years has been, frankly, scary.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

You could also virtualise your Mac, and keep your unupgradeable software on that. Boot into to run everything else, and boot your Mojave disk image in something like Virtual Box when you need to use the software that can’t get past the upgrade.

The other option would, of course, to keep an older machine in service to that end too. I’ve a machine on standby running 10.7.5 just in case. In some instances, I have needed it.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden