Sometime around 16/9/09 (at 11:09 -0400) Mickey Bee said:
Well, friend, you are asking for something that will be taking even
more of my time to explain.
I know, and I apologise. But the facts must be established…
When the Accessibility Report was generated, there was a line
referring to Styles stating “Font Set does not contain a generic
alternative”. As a result I selected under Edit “Font Sets”. In that
dialog box, one has an option to select the font and Edit. As my
website body text was mainly using Verdana, I selected that font set
and edited it to include what I believed was a generic alternative.
I thought maybe everybody didn’t have Verdana and I should select a
more common font, Helvetica. That is where I made my downfall.
Had you created a new font set at any time? That’s the only way I can
get that warning to come up in the Accessibility Report. All that
means is that the font set font list doesn’t end that particular Font
Set list with the generic sans-serif or serif names.
Actually, Verdana could be more common than Helvetica these days. But
anyway… I assume you set your web site body text as Verdana using
the Inspector palette, or perhaps from the Style > Font menu? This
actually applies a font set, so the output code will automatically
be set with a cascading list of different fonts; Verdana, then Arial,
then Helvetica, then the generic ‘sans-serif’.
It sounds like you may have created a whole new collection of font
set entries, each only containing one font, which would explain why
you had a load of new items in the Inspector’s typeface menu.
By doing so, this apparently confused my Styles, as when I finally
looked at the Styles (under Edit), I noted each instance of where I
had selected an alternative font, that font name would appear in the
pop up menu (with Graphic written to the right) under the Font pop
In the Edit Styles window, where you see a second typeface option
(containing the full font menu) and the label “Graphic” to its right,
this is the font that will be used if you apply that style to graphic
type. But it doesn’t affect HTML text at all. Try setting the View
menu in that dialog to CSS Attributes rather than CSS and Graphic
Attributes. Then you’ll only see settings that affect HTML styling.
At this point I decided to change all instances of Verdana to
Helvetica and made certain both the Font and the Graphic Font were
Understandable. Not really something that would help, I don’t think,
but quite a reasonable assumption at that point.
At this point, please check your font sets to make sure they all end
with either sans-serif or serif. Then you should never see that entry
in the Accessibility Report again.
What I don’t see is where this relates to the publishing problem.
That is specifically related to file creation and permissions - which
is why I didn’t (and still don’t) think that the problem relates to
your experimental work with fonts and styles.
freewaytalk mailing list
Update your subscriptions at: