[Pro] Resource Folder Headaches

One by one, I am moving my files off of my Snow Leopard machine onto my El Capitan machine. Most of the FW documents are transferring well with only minimal time spent in the Resource folder. I’m very disciplined about keeping a tidy “Media” folder with all needed assets.

But, some of my sites are more complicated and have heavily nested folder system inside the Media folder. FW doesn’t do well with this. I need to go through and find at least one file in each folder to “relink” things. Like I said, on small sites, it’s small potatoes, but on large sites with thousands of images I’m spending hours upon hours of un-billable time.

The current computer I’m using is not one I plan to use longer than six months. I’m dreading the thought of doing this all over again. Perhaps I will use Migration Assistant when I upgrade, that might help. For a variety of reasons, I didn’t want to do that w/ my old machine.

Here’s my question: I know some of you use FW on more than one machine. How do you do this? Do you keep everything on an external or networked drive?

Thanks.

Doty

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

some of my sites are more complicated and have heavily nested folder system inside the Media folder.

This is where File > Save Archive does all the hard work for you.

Wraps it all up into a neat bundle and you just need to transfer the Archived folder to the new mac. Once on the new mac just open the FW doc in the Archived folder and all the resources will be linked to the files in the Archived folder.

What it wont put in the Archive is stuff in the Media folder that you have not used in FW or added via extended dialogues. Best to just Zip the whole folder and copy that over as well.

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

The site that is giving me the troubles is this one. I’m using Tim Plumb’s lightbox2 action to link all those thumbnails to full sized images in a lightbox. FW is linking the thumbnail images you see on the webpage just fine. What FW is tripping over is the link to the full sized image that is assigned via the lightbox2 action menu.

Would the “Save Archive” trick work for this? Both the thumbnails and the full sized image are in the media folder.

My habit is to put a folder called “originals” in the media folder that are untouched originals and then I have my reduced size or cropped or web optimized images in a different folder. In other words, there are a lot of files that “Save Archive” would omit because as far as FW is concerned they do not exist. I’m wondering if I could save archive and then use an app like chronosync to put the media folder back to it’s original state.

Thoughts on that plan?

Thanks, David.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

What FW is tripping over is the link to the full sized image that is assigned via the lightbox2 action menu.

Archiving should work with that.

My habit is to put a folder called “originals” in the media folder that are untouched originals and then I have my reduced size or cropped or web optimized images in a different folder. In other words, there are a lot of files that “Save Archive” would omit because as far as FW is concerned they do not exist.

Exactly what I was talking about - copying over a zipped version too.

Personally I would only add in the ‘originals’ folder to the media folder and let the others take care of themselves (automatically). As long as you have the originals you will never be stuck.

use an app like chronosync to put the media folder back to it’s original state.

If you were going to do that then you would be as well to Edit>Resources after copying over the whole original folder. Remember that linking one file in this way will ‘find’ all the others in the same place.

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I have a platinum-plated server where I keep my files, I only open them over the network from that server, and save them there. Since I am one person (despite some claims to the contrary) I only work on one file on one machine at one time. Save after each change.

Walter

On Jan 10, 2016, at 11:49 AM, Doty email@hidden wrote:

Here’s my question: I know some of you use FW on more than one machine. How do you do this? Do you keep everything on an external or networked drive?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden