[Pro] Reworking old website

I built this website for a friend back in 2005. In 2011, they took it over and hired a new webmaster who understood what hunters liked better than I.
I believe the new webmaster was a Windows guy and things changed quite a bit. In any case, my friend has come back to me now that the new guy has retired.
So my question is: is there anyway I can rework the site in Freeway but keep the FrontPageCart that he set up intact? I used Mals-ecommerce solution for the store at the time I created it.

Thanks in advance for any tips or solutions.

-Chod Lang
www.njfurniturerepair.com

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

Short answer, nope. FrontPage is tightly coupled to editing in that application AND hosting on a Windows (IIS) server.

Now anything that can be created in FrontPage can be re-created in Freeway, and forms are easily dealt with in Freeway, using standard (open-source) servers. So this could be a win for your friend (Windows hosting is $$$), but not for you if you just expect to open up the edited HTML in Freeway and move forward.

Internally, a Freeway document (which represents the entire site) does not contain any HTML. Freeway can import HTML, but it does so really badly. It’s not recommended, unless you’re desperate (or are dealing with a whole lot of text that you don’t want to transcribe) and then only if you have a lot of time to kill to clean up the results. It’s often a whole lot faster to just take screenshots of what you see in the browser, place them in Freeway as background images, and re-build the page on top of that.

Walter

On Sep 1, 2016, at 5:00 PM, chod email@hidden wrote:

I built this website for a friend back in 2005. In 2011, they took it over and hired a new webmaster who understood what hunters liked better than I.
I believe the new webmaster was a Windows guy and things changed quite a bit. In any case, my friend has come back to me now that the new guy has retired.
So my question is: is there anyway I can rework the site in Freeway but keep the FrontPageCart that he set up intact? I used Mals-ecommerce solution for the store at the time I created it.

Thanks in advance for any tips or solutions.

-Chod Lang
www.njfurniturerepair.com

www.gamebutcher.com

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Quick and simple answer:

####SOLUTION

NO!

Because Freeway can’t interpret and “load/import” existing HTML (CSS, JavaScript) files.

This will mean:

Re-create it on base of the current stat.

Or even better:

####Tipp

Re-design it bringing it into the new adaptive, responsible, responsive web-world. This avoids your friend will seek another “designer” in a couple of months.

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Personally I would rebuild the site - if you want to use the tools you know (FW) it wont take that long to create an up to date responsive version of the site - and with only 30 odd products that is easy to do in Mal’s.

It would at least give you the opportunity to change DVD’s

Or maybe your friend would prefer the section headers to share the same format ie Knive’s , Tool’s etc.

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Well, I’ve started from scratch - sort of. I used “SiteSucker” to download many of the elements that are used in the current site and that has helped quite a bit.
But I’ve run into a snag that I don’t understand. For some reason my Site panel doesn’t show the little arrow that opens up each page and therefore, I can’t see the “items” on each page.
Is it possible that the program didn’t boot properly when I started or is there some way to fix this? The only thing I see next to each page is the little dot • next to the page.
Help!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Look at the cog down the bottom of the site panel

Choose Show Items

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

It would be better if you had access to original graphics - the ones from the web re-used in FW will lose quality unless used as Pass-Through.

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Just found it. Thanks for your help.
As to the graphics, I’m just basically using them for reference and building new versions of elements (jpgs, png) in “Canvas Draw for Mac” - my go to graphics application.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden