[Pro] Rollover problems

Walter, I fully understand what you are saying about W3C. But the fact remains that the Rollover CLICK state in Freeway is for the most part broken (from the user’s standpoint) INSOFAR as it will probably only work for people 50% of the time (e.g., when they link to an anchor on the same page). So what I am saying is that Freeway’s Rollover action should instead use the MouseDown event JS handling that you describe, rather than force us to do that “fix” manually.

–James Wages

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

Then what should it do when you mouseup on that same element? Should it stick with whatever was applied in the mousedown? Have a look at this demo page, and see what you think: Mouse Events

You could get the same effect you are after here with CSS, because the a:active pseudo-class is only in effect while a link is being clicked. JavaScript is not the only tool in your box here.

Walter

On Jan 13, 2016, at 12:00 AM, JDW email@hidden wrote:

Walter, I fully understand what you are saying about W3C. But the fact remains that the Rollover CLICK state in Freeway is for the most part broken (from the user’s standpoint) INSOFAR as it will probably only work for people 50% of the time (e.g., when they link to an anchor on the same page). So what I am saying is that Freeway’s Rollover action should instead use the MouseDown event JS handling that you describe, rather than force us to do that “fix” manually.

–James Wages

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Walter, when viewing your page in Safari 9.02, I see (from top to bottom) the following:

1. A hover state that appears on Mouseover and remains visible even when the mouse is moved away.
  2. Nothing happens on mouseover or on click, but when the mouse cursor is moved outside the item, it highlights.
  3. The Mousedown state appears on Mousedown and remains even when the mouse cursor is moved away. This somewhat parallels the way the mouse clicks in the UI of MacOS or Windows, and because of that it is what I consider to be a true “Click” state. (The only difference being that if you click something in your Mac’s UI, you get the Click state, but if you move the mouse cursor away and then release, the Click state vanishes.)
  4. The Mouseup state appears when releasing the mouse button and remains even when the mouse cursor is moved away.
  5. This works exactly like the Mouseup item above it.

–James W.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

5 This works exactly like the Mouseup item above it.

“that’s because the click event never fires until the mouseup is over”

James - live with it! You are obsessing over a closebox icon that nobody will ever care about.

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Wrong. As I mentioned previously, that is but one example of many. And you are also forgetting many other Freeway users who would no doubt prefer a usable CLICK state too — folks who simply are not as outspoken as I am in the forums.

Make it work and people WILL use it.

–James W.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Make it work and people WILL use it.

I agree - reluctantly.

While I can’t speak for any action adding “functions” to my page, I started to go another way down the road. The point is, that I can’t declare this solution as “the one Freeway needs”. There are probably others out there.

Mine is:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8231701/cdn-digitalmedia-themes/theGridMaterialz/buttons-and-links.html

It’s the “Call-to-action” link I’m referring to.

This is based on fian.my.id

Could this be “actionized”?

Well - I honestly doubt, cause you need to add “specific” classnames to the -Tag in order to get it running. And I’m not aware if an action could do this.

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I wrote my example this way because it was fastest for me. The fact that I switched classnames on and off was an implementation detail, nothing more. The way that Freeway writes out this code is considerably different, and an Action would write it that way. But the primary problem as I see it is not the code that gets generated, but the user experience for the page designer. What does that Action look like? How many panes does it need to set up a mousedown separate from a click event? How will the user wrap their head around the different states and assign a different look and feel to them? The Rollover Action creates a handler for the mouseover event which substitutes a new image for a base image. Then it creates a separate handler for the mouseout event which restores the original image. If that Action were tweaked to add a similar mousedown / mouseup pair, then that could be a way forward for you both. Maybe it is as simple as editing the Rollover Action, renaming it maybe to Mouser or something whimsical like that, and changing the events that it observes. Applying both Rollover and Mouser to the same object would be quite a lot of tabs on the same object’s Actions palette, and a ton of inline “DOM 0” handlers, but hey, this is Freeway. Ease over code purity and all that.

Walter

On Jan 13, 2016, at 4:01 AM, Thomas Kimmich email@hidden wrote:

Well - I honestly doubt, cause you need to add “specific” classnames to the -Tag in order to get it running. And I’m not aware if an action could do this.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden