[Pro] Rollovers with graphic text, overflowed, and Carousel Buttons.

The inclusion of a problem with Carousel Buttons may be a red herring at first, but it’s because I’m working with graphic items that I’m encountering my basic problem with rollovers.

1. I’ve set up a bunch of Carousel Panes as HTML Items with text and graphic items in them. The Panes are scattered around my pasteboard. If the items overlap, when I try to Preview the page, FW tells me the graphic items are “overflowed.” (Terribly bad English, that seems to me!) Note that FW lists graphic items by ID as overflowing. Yet if I merely make my pasteboard big enough to be able to spread the items out, there are no problems.

2. Well, the same thing is now happening to graphic items themselves. I have two simple little graphic boxes, each with an imported JPEG. I’m trying to make them be rollovers, and can’t get the rollover to work.

Align them just as I did in v3.5. Choose uppermost item and apply rollover action.

2a. The Action Palette does not show the underneath item as a choice for Mouseover.

2b. Try to Preview the page and get told the upper item is “overflowed.”

1. Side issue: for me, Grouped Items can’t be moved by the mouse. Found the problem. Clicking on a so-called Group selects only the uppermost item of the so-called Group. To move or Ungroup the thing, I have to swipe a marquee around the whole Group. Then I can keyboard Nudge the d*mn thing, or ungroup it. Grrr.

All right, I’ve diagnosed the “overflowed” problem. Two (blue) tabled items cannot overlap. Which makes perfect sense. Why the Alert can’t simply tell me so (instead of invoking the abominably ungrammatical “overflowed” state) is a mystery too deep for this gray cloudy morning.

But the fact remains I can’t make Rollovers. Not with layered graphic items, Grouped or ungrouped. and certainly not with overflowed tabled graphic items. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Holy Moses. Great googely moogely.

I see part of the problem. If I draw a graphic item, and Import a JPG as a pass-through, the Graphic Item becomes an HTML Item. Then all the overflowed and grouping and lack of rollover begins.

But if I just Import the JPEG, without pass-through, the Graphic Item remains a GI, and rollovers work. Am I going crazy? Is this normal behavior for FW?

But in any case, I can’t get the Carousel Button Action to apply, even to my non-pass-through, working rollover. I saw an earlier thread about that problem, and it seemed unresolved. Any advice would be appreciated!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Bucky,

If you want to make a rollover with a pass-thru you need to (I’ll
state all the steps for other people):

1. Draw a graphic item
  2. Go to File>Import or press Command-E
  3. Select your graphic
  4. Check the Pass-through option
  5. Click Ok
  6. Apply the Rollover Action (Item>Actions>Rollover)
  7. Open the Actions palette (Window>Actions)
  8. In the Images section click the arrow next to MouseOver and choose
    Select
  9. Select your second image

That’s it! Apologies for inducing a great googely moogley, I shall dig
out the old KnowledgeBase article and repost it.

Joe

On 9 Sep 2009, at 15:42, Bucky Edgett wrote:

Holy Moses. Great googely moogely.

I see part of the problem. If I draw a graphic item, and Import a
JPG as a pass-through, the Graphic Item becomes an HTML Item. Then
all the overflowed and grouping and lack of rollover begins.

But if I just Import the JPEG, without pass-through, the Graphic
Item remains a GI, and rollovers work. Am I going crazy? Is this
normal behavior for FW?

But in any case, I can’t get the Carousel Button Action to apply,
even to my non-pass-through, working rollover. I saw an earlier
thread about that problem, and it seemed unresolved. Any advice
would be appreciated!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Great Jumping Jehosaphat! OK, now I know I’ll never survive. It’s time to get a job driving a truck.

I’ve been slavishly trying to follow the instructions in the HomePrintVersion manual. I’m familiar with the two methods --items on page, item selected externally-- from having worked in FW3. But the result of the Import function had me baffled.

Now, where in the manual does it tell me that importing a pass-through JPEG into a graphic item will convert the GI into an HTML item? Which will then require the external rollover method? I’ve tried the import-pass-through several times, and each time my formerly graphic item becomes HTML.

The thin little item border does change from gray to green, but come on, that’s not obvious.

And, I can’t apply the Carousel Button Action to an HTML item, right? Or at least, the Actions Menu allows me to, but it doesn’t work. Or maybe something else is balled up now. My Active style isn’t applying to the Carousel Tabs.

Where’s the truck?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden