[Pro] saving site weirdness

I created a site from scratch, well, it was based on a template. I named it “WPP”. The master pages all had dark backgrounds.

After doing a lot of work on it, I decided I’d like to try the site with a white or lighter background. So I used the Save As command in the File menu and saved what I thought would be a complete new copy of the site. I gave this new copy the name “WPP Light”.

I’ve been working on WPP Light — and now I discover that I can’t preview my pages. When I type Opt-Cmd-B to preview in my browser, I get an error saying some file is missing.

Went to the Finder to try to figure out what was going on. There I see something like this:

WPP (a folder)
WPP light.freeway (an 18.7MB FW document)
WPP light.freeway_ (a folder)
WPP light.fwbackup (an 18.7MB FW backup)

If I try to open the folder “WP light.freeway_” (note the underscore), there doesn’t seem to be anything inside it. And the file simply named “WPP light.freeway” isn’t a folder, so I cannot look inside it.

My pages are all there inside Freeway. But I can’t preview, and I don’t understand where the source files went.

Anyway able to throw me a clue here? THanks in advance.

Will

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Try resampling your resources. Open the Edit menu and choose Resources. In the dialog that appears click the Resample All button and click done when yo can.

Hope this helps,

Joe

On 15 Nov 2010, at 05:53, William Porter wrote:

I created a site from scratch, well, it was based on a template. I named it “WPP”. The master pages all had dark backgrounds.

After doing a lot of work on it, I decided I’d like to try the site with a white or lighter background. So I used the Save As command in the File menu and saved what I thought would be a complete new copy of the site. I gave this new copy the name “WPP Light”.

I’ve been working on WPP Light — and now I discover that I can’t preview my pages. When I type Opt-Cmd-B to preview in my browser, I get an error saying some file is missing.

Went to the Finder to try to figure out what was going on. There I see something like this:

WPP (a folder)
WPP light.freeway (an 18.7MB FW document)
WPP light.freeway_ (a folder)
WPP light.fwbackup (an 18.7MB FW backup)

If I try to open the folder “WP light.freeway_” (note the underscore), there doesn’t seem to be anything inside it. And the file simply named “WPP light.freeway” isn’t a folder, so I cannot look inside it.

My pages are all there inside Freeway. But I can’t preview, and I don’t understand where the source files went.

Anyway able to throw me a clue here? THanks in advance.

Will

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

On 15 Nov 2010, 7:12 am, Joe Billings wrote:
Try resampling your resources. Open the Edit menu and choose Resources. In the dialog that appears click the Resample All button and click done when yo can.

Hope this helps,

Thanks, Joe! That didn’t do it in itself, but came close. And it brought the Resources dialog to my attention. Using that dialog I’ve tracked down a couple of other problems and I’m apparently back in business.

A question about the structure on disk of a Freeway site. The first couple of sites that I created were (at least it seemed to me they were) inside folders that I created. There were subfolders for Media, Resources, etc., and a variety of different files in there. But for this latest site — the one I created by “cloning” another site using the “save as” command — there doesn’t seem to be a folder that I can double-click into in the Finder. Is that normal?

At the moment I’m GUESSING that this is another way that using Freeway is different from using Dreamweaver or BBEdit. Using Dreamweaver, I controlled all of the individual files inside the site folder. I put all my photos into a resources folder, and they had to be there so I could link to them in a way that would not break when I uploaded the files.

But with Freeway, I’m getting the sense that it’s not really necessary for me to do any of this file management stuff, because Freeway is going to do it for me. So I can drag photos out of my photo folders elsewhere on disk, etc., and count on Freeway to make copies of them and put them wherever it needs to for its own purposes.

Have I got it about right?

Thanks,

Will

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

On 15 Nov 2010, at 15:06, William Porter wrote:

But with Freeway, I’m getting the sense that it’s not really necessary for me to do any of this file management stuff, because Freeway is going to do it for me. So I can drag photos out of my photo folders elsewhere on disk, etc., and count on Freeway to make copies of them and put them wherever it needs to for its own purposes.

Have I got it about right?

Hi Will; Freeway behaves in two different ways, depending on whether you make a new site from scratch, or use one of the built-in templates (including ‘Blank’). If you hit the ‘Custom’ button on the new site dialog, you can choose a size and a site folder (that you’ve already made somewhere). When you come to publish or save, Freeway will then use that folder.

However, if you choose the ‘Templates’ button instead of the ‘Custom’ button, and choose the ‘Blank Website’ button, Freeway will immediately ask you where to save it by displaying a Save dialog. It will make a new folder, called ‘Blank Website’ by default, into which it will put a Media and a Site Folder. You need, though, to put any pictures or other media into the Media folder by hand; Freeway won’t do it for you. What Freeway will do is, as you suggest above, take note of any folders you drag in from anyplace on your hard disk, and display them, and keep track of where they came from. So if you need to edit a picture later, for example, make it bigger, then Freeway will allow you to do that, inside Freeway, without problems.

If, however, the picture has moved from its original place on your hard disk, and you try to make it bigger, Freeway will tell you that it can’t find the original and warn you that, although your site does have a copy of the image inside it, it’s at the size you originally chose, and thus can’t be enlarged without breaking up.

So, it’s a good idea to copy any pictures you use in Freeway from their place on your hard disk to the Media folder in the folder that Freeway makes, so that the site and its resources can be moved together with impunity.

Oh, and a word about Resources, with a capital ‘R’. The ‘Resources’ folder is made by Freeway for its own use, and you should never, ever, put anything in it yourself. I’ve seen a lot of folks come a cropper through not knowing that.

best wishes,

Paul Bradforth

Buy my eBooks at:
http://www.paulbradforth.com/books/

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden