[Pro] Setting link state opacity higher for hover than link

Hi Peter,

Freeway has it’s own way of sorting the styles we make, which can prove troublesome for things like link styles which require a specific order of appearance in the style list.

When you make link styles using the links pane of the inspector, Freeway of course will write those styles in proper order. I’ve long wished that Freeway users could have more control over how the stylesheet is written.

There is a somewhat complicated hack to get Freeway to write custom styles in a specific order, but there is also a less complicated approach, depending on what you hope to achieve. If you are only concerned about the normal and hover states-- :link and :hover-- then leave off the :link pseudo and just name your styles

a.button-name
a.button-name:hover

Freeway will write them in the proper order so they each work as advertised. It’s not the “official” way to write CSS links, but it’s reliable. Think of it as shorthand. The more complicated approach requires an involved discussion of how to exploit the property/value pairs of custom styles and make Freeway write more than one style within the user-controllable confines of the custom value dialog. See what I mean?… the other method is much easier.

On the matter of how you are styling your link, I think that the opacity property is somewhat troublesome… I think it’s better to use tints of color to create emphasis between states. If opacity is truly required, then I recommend rgba color:

color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.7)
background-color: rgba(66, 66, 66, 0.4)

You can over-ride Freeway’s color and background color in the Extended style dialog of the Style Editor.

I think that color shades would be better performance than opacity-- that’s my opinion though.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at: