[Pro] Shrink fixed header on scroll

Thanks Walter!

If FW was still happily chugging along, I think that this functionality would be a great subject for a FWAction. Actually … if I was designing web-software, I’d build this in.

People are now accessing the web, more and more via phones and tablets and a scrolling single-page is fast becoming the de facto. Many news sites are already single page. It’s easy to understand why and the argument for compelling content becomes increasingly stronger. If you can keep them scrolling, because each flick of the finger shows them something worth seeing, then you have solved the problem of getting them to click on a button offering unknown results.

My next update to my site will most likely be scrolling, but most probably with some sort of ‘touch to expand’ button that will extent specific content downwards. However, with limited real-estate, especially on phones, the need to recover space from a generous landing layout, becomes a primary objective. Hence the desire for a shrinking header. :slight_smile:

And … since you ask … :slight_smile: this is what I think would be really useful in many many cases. However, I can see that it might be quite challenging. I have absolutely no idea how you could even go about doing this, but FWIW, I’ve uploaded a 2 page demo, which shows what I think would be fab. The full header on landing, shrinking to a re-arranged narrow header on scroll.

The grey blob is a button:

http://test-2.grantsymon.com/shrinkheader-1.html

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at: