[Pro] Simply download files

How I can create a button to download a file (es .epub) instead using the usual method with something letting user have a “feedback” as percentage / the status of download? Downloading from a desktop computer there is no problem (already browser have something) but if I try from a tablet (an iPad) I have no feedback and with large files it seems nothing is happening…
thanks

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

The big problem you face is Apple’s design of iOS itself. Browsers aren’t really the same on mobile devices; downloading files this way feels almost like an afterthought. This is actually a carefully considered position of Apple’s, but it can feel frustrating.

Maybe simply telling the visitor the approximate size of the file would help, along with a note that they won’t see a progress indicator when using mobile devices?
Alternatively, you could try submitting your EPUB to the iBook Store and linking to that…

k

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

So the only way is submit pub to ibook store for ipad, amazon for kindle and google store for android…

It will be enough for me instead to link directly to file to download redirect the button to a page where I can write “Starting download: wait for…” and then start automatically the download: is there a “page action” that can do this (i.e. on page load>download “aaaa.epub”)?
Thank

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Try the timed redirect action, and set the action to redirect to your file URL.

Walter

On Jun 16, 2015, at 3:02 AM, fausto pastorino email@hidden wrote:

So the only way is submit pub to ibook store for ipad, amazon for kindle and google store for android…

It will be enough for me instead to link directly to file to download redirect the button to a page where I can write “Starting download: wait for…” and then start automatically the download: is there a “page action” that can do this (i.e. on page load>download “aaaa.epub”)?
Thank

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

You can simply make a link to your .epub file. Any browser will then download it as they can’t simply display the file contents. In iOS the user will be given the option to “open in iBooks”. On a Mac it may open in iBooks automatically.

The only reason I suggested putting it on a digital book store is to get around the problem of not having a download progress indicator in iOS; the issue is then the responsibility of the iBooks app. And you can put a direct link to the book on the store in your web page. But it’s absolutely not essential as you can simply link to the book file yourself. And let people know how big the file is and that they won’t see any download progress info if they’re using a mobile device.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Yes, the timed action could be a good solution: is there this action already in Freeway or I have to download fron actionforge (o other place)?
tnhks

Il giorno 16/giu/2015, alle ore 12:39, Walter Lee Davis email@hidden ha scritto:

Walter

Thank

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I think it’s a core action. You apply it to the page, so click the pasteboard first, so nothing is selected, then look in Page / Actions.

Walter

On Jun 16, 2015, at 10:09 AM, “email@hidden” email@hidden wrote:

Yes, the timed action could be a good solution: is there this action already in Freeway or I have to download fron actionforge (o other place)?
tnhks

Il giorno 16/giu/2015, alle ore 12:39, Walter Lee Davis email@hidden ha scritto:

Walter

Thank

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden