[Pro] upload a second file

I already have a Freeway Pro file uploaded to the web. It works fine. Can I upload a second, different file without losing the first? Is this dependent only on the amount of space I’ve been allocated by my ISP? If so, to check the amount of space I’m already using, do I check the Site Folder or the actual file itself (which is more than three times the size)?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

Can I upload a second, different file without losing the first?

Certainly. This is all about naming things correctly. Remember you are not actually uploading the FW file - you are uploading the html files that FW generates for you and puts in the Site Folder on your HD.

If you have a site at mysite.com then FW will have generated an index.html (and other associated pages) and they will be sitting on your server.

Now if you add pages within your FW document on publish/upload these will be added to yoursite.com.

If you create a new FW document and set its upload path to yoursite.com then FW will automatically create an index.html file and on upload will overwrite whatever you have there already.

If you want to use a new FW document then you should set it to upload into another folder on the server ie mysite.com/newfolder and then your new FW documents pages will start with mysite.com/newfolder/index.html

Does that make sense?

As far as space on the server goes it is Extremely unlikely that your FW generated html files will exceed your Hosting Providers allowance. (It is the file size of the total files/Resources in the Site Folder that you should be aware of.) The size of the FW document itself is irrelevant.

When you say you want to add/upload a second file - what exactly are you trying to do and we can be more specific with an answer.

David

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Sorry, I thought I’d sent this … something must have gone wrong. Here it is again:
Thank you for that detailed and prompt reply.
Unfortunately, as a real amateur, I’m not able to understand where on the server my file is stored. I intended to attach the upload screen (which doesn’t tell me much but it’s the best I can find), but don’t know how to attach it to this message.
It shows
Upload: FTP,
Server: allegrotheatreco.com,
Directory: public_html,
Username: allegrot,
Password: …………,
Web Address: blank,
FTP Mode: Passive.
The website is www.allegrotheatreco.com, which explains itself (I hope!) if you open it. You can probably see that it has taken me some years to build and maintain.
However, with all the current talk of responsive websites, I thought I’d try building a new site, but making it responsive to different-sized screens. (Actually the present one seems to me to work adequately on both an iPad and an iPhone, even though things are understandably smaller – but I’m probably biased!)
I’m guessing what you’re calling mysite.com is on the server, and I don’t know what it is, unless it’s allegrotheatreco.com.
And so, if it is, should I change the entry (on the upload screen) allegrotheatreco.com to allegrotheatreco.com/newJan16 ?
Resources in the Site Folder for the current site make up 3.7 Mb, the Site Folder itself is 30.6 Mb.
Two more queries:
Previewing in a browser has stopped working – the browser window opens to its normal home page, but doesn’t go to the Allegro page. Freeway itself freezes in the background and has to be closed and restarted.
I have Freeway Pro version 7.1 – does that mean I have access to the templates advertised on your website. And, if I need to buy the templates, can I view them beforehand?
Cheers … JH

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I’m guessing what you’re calling mysite.com is on the server, and I don’t know what it is, unless it’s allegrotheatreco.com.

Correct - as I had no idea what the actual name of your server was…

should I change the entry (on the upload screen) allegrotheatreco.com to allegrotheatreco.com/newJan16

The Server name stays the same: allegrotheatreco.com

The Directory will change from /public_html/ to /public_html/newJan16

Everything else stays the same ie user/pass

Are you using a new FW document as your starting point?

Make sure that the new FW document uses a new Site Folder on your HD - if you start with a Template then this will be done for you - you just have to decide where on your HD it should be.

Personally I would keep the old totally separate from the new.

Your new site (as you work on it) will be available at www.allegrotheatreco.com/newJan16

When you are happy that the new site works as expected then you can go back to the original upload settings and overwrite the existing site.

Of course there is nothing to stop you having both files open and copy/pasting text from one to the other. Just dont copy/paste any Gif text only as html text. Dont copy images either as you will lose quality and bloat your Document size.

A new Responsive layout should have freshly imported images - no drag/n/drop.

David

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options