[Pro] What are the Freeway Gurus using now?

Hello all,

It being the only time of the year that I get to revisit my web sites.
I’m struggling with settling on a possible replacement for Freeway and Backdraft.

I can of course continue to use Freeway and Backdraft. These tools do all that I want and I’m used to them - for now. And there’s the rub, Sierra has caused problems for some - how long before Apple’s OS finally kills off Freeway 7?

I’ve looked at some of the alternatives (Blocs, Sparkle and Responsive Site Designer) and the purpose of this thread is not to necessarily argue the case of one over the other - there’s enough of that elsewhere in this forum.

What I would like to know is what the Freeway gurus are using now? Have Caleb, Dave, Thomas, Walter and others (forgive me for not including you all) been forced to resort to hand coding? Or, as I suspect are you all quietly still using Freeway and hoping that by the time it stops working something else will have come along?

My researches so far have led me to think that despite all its problems Freeway 7 and Backdraft may just be still the way to go!!

Steve

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

still using freeway and hand coding if I need to

max

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks being part of the row of those honorable gentlemen, Steve :slight_smile:

Existing project (maintenance): Freeway
Critical projects (timeline): Freeway (probably)
New projects (long hand): Pinegrow WebDesigner

Currently I’m writing my own GridSystem in SASS so strengthening my skills in “coding”.

I tried to wrap parts of my decision in following screencast (if it is of interest and not already seen):

From Freeway to Whatever on Vimeo (and two other episodes)

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

It’s in the footer …

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Well, I’m finally back on FreewayTalk. My old account quit letting me log in and quit sending me notifications, so a fresh start it is. :slight_smile:

I’m glad to hear that Backdraft is still working for you Steve! As for myself, I’ve moved on to just hand-coding everything, which has been a blast. I had actually quit using Freeway for any new projects a couple of years ago, mostly because I wanted to be able to use some of the incredibly helpful new CSS features that Freeway didn’t support (vh, vw, flexbox, &c.) and pull of some more advanced effects that where simply a pain to try and implement in Freeway.

However, I’m very glad to see the news that Freeway has some future. It’s still handy for when I need to quickly whip-up a very small website.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

On 2 Feb 2017, 3:54 pm, Caleb Grove wrote:

However, I’m very glad to see the news that Freeway has some future. It’s still handy for when I need to quickly whip-up a very small website.

“A very small website” — Caleb (or anyone), My Freeway Pro 7 website is approaching 400 pages. It seems to work fine as I create new pages on the software, and it uploads rapidly and accurately. Is there some limitation I’m not aware of that will make it difficult to grow my website to, say, 500 pages in Fwy Pro 7?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Is there some limitation I’m not aware of that will make it difficult to grow my website to, say, 500 pages in Fwy Pro 7?

You must have a faster computer than I do. :slight_smile:

Once a project gets around 100 pages in Freeway, my little MacBook Pro starts to suffer. A lot of beach balls. A lot of delayed clicks. It takes a long time to get anything done.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

man oh man if you are unto 100’s pages then you really have to seriously be thinking about a cms and I am not just pushing webyep I mean anything like walters inlay or pulse or perch or just about anything because 500 page is a massive amount of pages to publish upload mange etc etc

max

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Caleb and Max, before I set up a trimmed-down style sheet of about two dozen styles (and used them exclusively), Freeway was horribly slow with my hundreds of pages. The style sheet changed that entirely, and it’s now plenty fast working with the software and also uploading. I do realize that the more pages I add, the likelier it is to slow down. But so far so good with my reasonably powerful computer with lots of RAM (see footer) processing just under 400 pages.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thank you all for your responses!

Nice to hear from you again Caleb, if my livelihood depended on designing and building websites then I’d definitely be doing it by hand and/or maybe using Adobe Muse. Thomas’s approach is, as ever, interesting.

Richard’s is obviously happy with Coffee Cup’s offering. Indeed, form my researches Responsive Site Designer looks as it would suit me best as a Freeway replacement. I may look at Pinegrow now, too.

My biggest concern is that the various grid-based frameworks are starting to make the web look very uniform. There seems to me to be real risk that the function of a site is being lost amid a plethora of hero images and sliders.

My site stats show that 50% of my visitors use smartphones, another 20% tablets - the desktops make up the rest. When I redesign one of my sites I’m starting at 320px and working up. This means I’ve really got to work hard to get my message across - but then who wants an easy life?

Steve

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hello,
Could anyone help me. What is the best way to put a copy of Freeway 7 on a disc in case of a computer crash or to install on a new computer.
Thank you,
Jed

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

What is the best way to put a copy of Freeway 7 on a disc in case of a computer crash or to install on a new computer.

Having a valid serial by hand, storing the latest dmg-file available on a hard-drive and install it by demand.

My biggest concern is that the various grid-based frameworks are starting to make the web look very uniform. There seems to me to be real risk that the function of a site is being lost amid a plethora of hero images and sliders.

It’s up to you - you’re the designer and nobody says doing it as billions do. Simply be better.

When I redesign one of my sites I’m starting at 320px and working up.

Do design and judge, at which point it breaks (looking crap). This is indicating where to set a breakpoint. All the rest is to confess:

“I have no clue what responsive design means!”

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I just did this rebuild of all (recent) articles this afternoon:

http://valveco.com/newsletter/articles/same-day-flight-service-for-your-orders.html

It couldn’t be this easy, even though RFF looks intimidating, it’s a breeze compared to FW7. Perfect usage of breakpoints, flexbox, symbols (!!!). And … there’re even a handful of stylesheets. FW7 just throws dozens of them in your CSS folder.

Softpress has some shoes to fill …

– Richard

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I’m still using Freeway - though I pared back my Actions activities as I really thought that the end was definitely nigh. However, I forgot about Richard L’s tenacity (how could I have?), and was surprised to see Freeway back (mi d you, a lot happened between last summer and now, so my eyes were off this particular ball anyway). I was also not looking forward to learning new software to the depth I know Freeway.

So I’ll be having a re-think about my Freeway-related activities. Yay!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Well, since I started this thread Softpress has revivied!

The trouble is it is still the old Freeway and the world has moved on. Richard is right, Softpress does have some shoes to fill.

Although I see in another thread that I see that a re-design/re-write is planned. The UI definitely needs some work. I’d love to see an Affinity-class version of Freeway (hint, hint Jeremy!)

However, like many of you, I’ve come to the conclusion that perhaps it is time to break free of Freeway.

I like Pinegrow and Brackets (thank you Thomas). The whole Coffeecup package is great, too. I can see why Richard has gone down that route.

As I’ll be moving from Freeway I’ll be spending less time lurking on FreewayTalk. I hope FreewayTalk continues, it has helped me enormously in the past. So many of you giving generously of your time, knowledge and opinions.

Thank you all.

Steve.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

still using freeway of course, and stay with it… defently not wanne learn something else again

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden