Quo Vadis App - and Thomas

I’d herby like to thank you guys and gals for being part of a great community for several years now. It had been a pleasure and honor to work with (and for) you.

I owe nearby all I know an amazing app, no doubt. But after having had a quick look into the latest version (5 minutes or so) - I realized that this is not mine anymore.

I understand the developers how and why they did it as it is, but never expected that big amount of constraints built on assumptions. The latest release is leaving me back as jackass - doubts, if all I did and all I taught is really true.

I need much time to realize what happened and how to deal with (the first time within the last 7 years or so). I can’t accept the penalize of those building proper inflow constructions finally confronted by defaults.

Personally I’ll go on with Freeway, however in my way which doesn’t seem to fit into the communities world anymore.

Wish you all the best.

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Hi Thomas,

On 30 Jul 2014, at 00:15, Thomas Kimmich email@hidden wrote:

I need much time to realize what happened and how to deal with (the first time within the last 7 years or so). I can’t accept the penalize of those building proper inflow constructions finally confronted by defaults.

I’m not sure I follow what you’re saying here. There are no penalties for building inflow layouts in Freeway 7. We built the Softpress site using a completely inflow layout and, when coupled with flexibility, it makes for the best way to create responsive sites. We’re going to be putting some more documentation and tutorials up over the next couple of weeks, one of which will cover converting your existing inflow sites to responsive.

Personally I’ll go on with Freeway, however in my way which doesn’t seem to fit into the communities world anymore.

That’s not true. Your input into the community is, has been, and will (I hope) continue to be invaluable.

Joe

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

OK - let me probably explain my frustrations a bit in detail:

###1. Taking the Inventory

Had a play with the new responsive feature and there is only one word for it:

###Genius

What I totally like is, that the towers doesn’t make this “whenever you think you need a breakpoint set one orgy (Macaw absurdness)”. The downside in here is, that my breakpoints differ slightly for some good reasons - I’m used to use simply different ones. In an entire flexible world, I don’t distinguish between portrait and landscape - both “designs” are simply the same.

###2. What do I do?

Mobile world 600px and below.

The Tablet world is between 601-1200. It includes those small laptops (forgot the correct name for them).

The default is up to 1823 and above for the 27" (and even TV screens, I even reduce the width to prevent me from growing absurd wide. This could be fixed with a max-width. Really? Well yeah - perhaps. At least I set a breakpoint here as well.

###3. Conclusion

The tower’s way to make responsive pages is classy, robust, solid and for every page construction usable - set and forget as announced. But now I depend on a way to get back my used breakpoint philosophy.

###4. Solution

The easiest way - would be a lil check at each breakpoint’s section that says:

Apply styles - or not. This would enable me to basically use the feature, but decide later on in what manner. It is bit the same like “externalize styles”, but for the @media query string - copy from preview and paste (and adjust) it elsewhere.

The more complicated one:

Making the responsive workspaces available and adjustable. You offered 3 of them - this is excellent - the default is as it is - this feature won’t confuse but will make some others happy.

Please towers:

Start to think “progressive enrichments” - such as browser vendors do these days (most of them). This can attract others to join the new idea of:

“Create visible code rather than write it” which is a better slogan than “No Code knowledge required”.

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks for the clarification.

Try this:

• Open the Edit menu and select Media Types

• In the dialog that appears, delete all the breakpoints.

• Add the new breakpoints that you either always use (sounds like you have a set already), or that you need to use when your layout breaks (a good policy used by many).

• Now you can make any edits that are necessary at the new breakpoints you specified.

Hope this helps!

Joe

On 30 Jul 2014, at 09:56, Thomas Kimmich email@hidden wrote:

OK - let me probably explain my frustrations a bit in detail:

###1. Taking the Inventory

Had a play with the new responsive feature and there is only one word for it:

###Genius

What I totally like is, that the towers doesn’t make this “whenever you think you need a breakpoint set one orgy (Macaw absurdness)”. The downside in here is, that my breakpoints differ slightly for some good reasons - I’m used to use simply different ones. In an entire flexible world, I don’t distinguish between portrait and landscape - both “designs” are simply the same.

###2. What do I do?

Mobile world 600px and below.

The Tablet world is between 601-1200. It includes those small laptops (forgot the correct name for them).

The default is up to 1823 and above for the 27" (and even TV screens, I even reduce the width to prevent me from growing absurd wide. This could be fixed with a max-width. Really? Well yeah - perhaps. At least I set a breakpoint here as well.

###3. Conclusion

The tower’s way to make responsive pages is classy, robust, solid and for every page construction usable - set and forget as announced. But now I depend on a way to get back my used breakpoint philosophy.

###4. Solution

The easiest way - would be a lil check at each breakpoint’s section that says:

Apply styles - or not. This would enable me to basically use the feature, but decide later on in what manner. It is bit the same like “externalize styles”, but for the @media query string - copy from preview and paste (and adjust) it elsewhere.

The more complicated one:

Making the responsive workspaces available and adjustable. You offered 3 of them - this is excellent - the default is as it is - this feature won’t confuse but will make some others happy.

Please towers:

Start to think “progressive enrichments” - such as browser vendors do these days (most of them). This can attract others to join the new idea of:

“Create visible code rather than write it” which is a better slogan than “No Code knowledge required”.

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

coooool!!!

Cheers