reCaptcha v2 integration

I set up a Smart folder on OS X Mail containing mail in the SpamSieve Spam folder older than 6 months. Select all, delete easy once a year. Hardly ever have to train SpamSieve.

As a business I prefer to have the opportunity to have all mail just in case on that rare occasion there’s something genuine missed like a new order!

On 5 Feb 2019, at 12:35, grantsymon email@hidden wrote:

Using a mail app to filter means you still have to deal with the spam somewhere along the line. It also makes it easier to implement the two-domain system for email addresses.

David Owen { Freeway Friendly Web hosting and Domains }

http://www.ineedwebhosting.co.uk | http://www.PrintlineAdvertising.co.uk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

I’ve just tried the Send Form beta and it works very well.

The only issues I have are:

• Trying to get it to operate in French (I found the code, but have no idea where to put it. Trial and error has failed so far)

• My page contains centred form/text fields. It’s really hard to get the Markup Item to move with the form fields. So far I have it inside an html box set to 100% width of another enclosing element (full width) and am varying the left margin %, but it jumps about a lot compared to the form fields. Any suggestions?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

On 5 Feb 2019, 12:57 pm, David Owen wrote:

I set up a Smart folder on OS X Mail containing mail in the SpamSieve Spam folder older than 6 months. Select all, delete easy once a year. Hardly ever have to train SpamSieve.

As a business I prefer to have the opportunity to have all mail just in case on that rare occasion there’s something genuine missed like a new order!

Well, that’s kind of my point. :blush:

If you want to be sure there are no false positives, then you have to go through it regularly. If you don’t, then how will you know if you missed something? … Unless the person contacts you again to tell you … in which case, the mail in the spam folder may as well have been trashed immediately!

The point of separating all the mail is to enable me to reject spam with 100% confidence that it is indeed spam.

3 or 4 years ago, when I hit around 80 to 100 spam per day, I decided I had to do something drastic. My system has virtually eradicated all spam now. I’m down to 1 or 2 per week and I reckon I can get that down to a couple per month.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Bugger … forgot to copy before posting. Sigh… Lost to a ‘smiley’.

Try again:

Well, that’s kind of my point. (smile)

If you don’t check your spam folder, then how will you know if you’ve missed a false positive, unless the person who sent it, contacts you again to tell you. So you have to check it.

By separating addresses, I can reject spam with 100% certainty that it is indeed spam. For example, I am not subscribed to any lists with my work email. So anything that comes in, with list-unsubscribe in the header is automatically rejected.

3 or 4 years ago I reached 80 to 100 spam per day and that’s when I decided I needed to do something radical. Gmail was a failure, with false positives worse than Mac Mail. I’m now down to 1 or 2 per week and I reckon I will get it down further to maybe 1 or 2 per month. That’s worth the fiddling time to me. :slight_smile:

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

• My page contains centred form/text fields. It’s really hard to get the Markup Item to move with the form fields. So far I have it inside an html box set to 100% width of another enclosing element (full width) and am varying the left margin %, but it jumps about a lot compared to the form fields. Any suggestions?

If you want to centre a markup item, you could put it inside an inflow HTML box and set the HTML box to be centred (Align: Center).

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

On 5 Feb 2019, 5:05 pm, Jeremy Hughes wrote:
If you want to centre a markup item, you could put it inside an inflow HTML box and set the HTML box to be centred (Align: Center).

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy!

That’s what I tried, but with percentage width. So instead I set the box to the pixel dimensions of the captcha graphic and it works perfectly.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

One thing that would be cool with the Send Form action, would be for the fields, but especially the button, to have mouse-over effects. I haven’t found how to apply an effect like that to a Send Form/Submit button.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hello Grant and other members,

I’ve been wondering is Freeway Pro still worth using nowadays? I can’t tell if they made any updates lately from the website? I used to use Freeway and then changed to Muse and now find any other apps are in blocks or glorified tables which I’m not keen on…

Elizabeth

On 5 Feb 2019, at 11:35 pm, grantsymon email@hidden wrote:

On 5 Feb 2019, 12:18 pm, David Owen wrote:

Have you tried SpamSieve? SpamSieve: Accurate Spam Filter for Mac

Yes SpamSieve is just a UI on top of Sieve. They are the same thing.

The crux with using it on the server instead of your computer, is that once you’re confident with your Rules, you can choose to Reject at the server. So the message is never received and as far as spammers are concerned the address doesn’t exist. For some Rules, I reject with the message ‘Address Unknown’. The spammers can see in the headers of the reject email, that it has never been received by an email app, so will probably eventually give up on the address. The effect is the same as if you closed/deleted your email account.

Either way, you never see the spam and don’t have to deal with it. Using a mail app to filter means you still have to deal with the spam somewhere along the line. It also makes it easier to implement the two-domain system for email addresses.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Freeway is in the midst of a rewrite at the moment, hopefully to conclude before the next version of Mac OS makes it impossible to run. (Current Freeway 7 is 32-bit, and Mac OS after Mojave will require 64-bit applications.) That new application will be fully based on modern frameworks, and shed all vestiges of the past. (Freeway was “ported” from Classic Mac OS to Mac OS X, and not rewritten. There’s a lot of band-aids in there that have built up over the years.)

I am not privy to the inner workings or plans of Softpress at all, but forced to guess, I would imagine that Freeway “X” would probably do less than Freeway 7 does right now, but would provide a solid and stable base for future development. After all, applications like Acorn (Photoshop equivalent) or Affinity Designer (InDesign equivalent) are routinely developed and rapidly improved by teams of one or two people, because they leverage the built-in frameworks in modern Mac OS. A lot of the historical effort that has gone into Freeway has been to work around the changes wrought by OS updates and the deprecation of “old ways” of coding applications for the Mac.

Walter

On Feb 5, 2019, at 4:29 PM, Elizabeth Christie email@hidden wrote:

I’ve been wondering is Freeway Pro still worth using nowadays? I can’t tell if they made any updates lately from the website? I used to use Freeway and then changed to Muse and now find any other apps are in blocks or glorified tables which I’m not keen on…

Elizabeth

On 5 Feb 2019, at 11:35 pm, grantsymon email@hidden wrote:

On 5 Feb 2019, 12:18 pm, David Owen wrote:

Have you tried SpamSieve? SpamSieve: Accurate Spam Filter for Mac

Yes SpamSieve is just a UI on top of Sieve. They are the same thing.

The crux with using it on the server instead of your computer, is that once you’re confident with your Rules, you can choose to Reject at the server. So the message is never received and as far as spammers are concerned the address doesn’t exist. For some Rules, I reject with the message ‘Address Unknown’. The spammers can see in the headers of the reject email, that it has never been received by an email app, so will probably eventually give up on the address. The effect is the same as if you closed/deleted your email account.

Either way, you never see the spam and don’t have to deal with it. Using a mail app to filter means you still have to deal with the spam somewhere along the line. It also makes it easier to implement the two-domain system for email addresses.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks Joe.
Frank Harshbarger
email@hidden

On Feb 5, 2019, at 4:36 AM, Joe Muscara email@hidden wrote:

For those that hate or are interested in why CAPTCHAs are the way they are and where they might be going, you might find this article of interest.

Why CAPTCHAs have gotten so difficult - The Verge

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

On 5 Feb 2019, 9:29 pm, Elizabeth wrote:

Freeway does today, exactly what it did before Softpress were forced to stop and rethink. The only thing that is different, is that going forward, from September 2019, it will no longer work with the current MacOS and probably any Mac produced thereafter. It will however, continue to work in exactly the same way with all previous Macs and OS’s. I realise this sounds obvious, but as someone who was constantly stunned to see that my photo software of choice from the 90s, was, to this day, never replaced by anything similar and incredibly, I continued to use it right up until last year. Why? Because it was faster than Photoshop (sometimes much faster) and still produced beautiful files, just as it did all those years ago. Ironically it saved me thousands in purchases and when my Mac eventually died, I replaced it with a second hand one, that costs a couple of hundred instead of 3 or 4 thousand. Hmmmm. The other irony, was that the because the OS never changed, there were no updates and the machine became a totally dedicated unit. Frozen in time. What welcome relief!!

Freeway is a powerful piece of software. That’s not going to change. The web however, is changing and perhaps unlike digital images, which remain the same today as they were back in the 80s when we drum scanned to produce high-res tiffs, FW might get left behind. Only time will tell. I’m hopeful that Softpress (Jeremy) will be able to shift what must be a complex morass of code, across to the modern MacOS, relatively quickly, as Walter says, by taking advantage of all those modern tools, like Swift and all the pre-built parts of Apple apps that are provided by those tools. You no longer have to reinvent the wheel every time you start a new project. I’m guessing that we’ll see a Pages like UI, which will be absolutely fine with me, because it is really well thought out, is easy to use and we’re already used to it. Hopefully we won’t need to do so much hopping about in the UI, as we do at present. Apple are putting tabs everywhere and they work well too (surprised just today to see how well they work in Mail, if you need to consult a few emails whilst writing another). Pages is perhaps also a metaphor for FW, because when it was rewritten to move to modern code, it lost a lot of functionality, much to the displeasure of the Pages using public. Very very slowly it has regained most of that. I hope that FW will not prove so reluctant to bring back any useful lost features, but I’m expecting them be proactive. For whatever reasons, Apple decided that pros and heavy users were not their base and turned their backs on us back then. Also, it has always seemed to be in their DNA to leave one or two irritatingly tiny little features missing from their software. Sigh.

Like everyone else, I looked at FW alternatives, after the Softpress announcement, but found nothing that really appealed. I’m not a pro, so I didn’t feel compelled to ‘move with the times’. Ironically … where I am a pro, I didn’t either … so that probably tells you something about me. I’m fairly pragmatic and I don’t think the sky is falling in. It turns out that 2 years on from the Softpress announcement, Freeway Pro is still working and I can do exactly the same things with it. I’m very hopeful, having looked at alternatives, that there is a market for a modern vs of Freeway. It seems to me that FW is just a good idea. I like the way it works. That said, communities are very important and this one has helped me enormously with my projects. (Special thanks to Delta Dave who helped me a great deal). So it’s important for Softpress, going forward to nurture the community as well as produce the software. Quite a task, but the rewards will hopefully be there.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hello Grantsymon,

Thank you for your thorough reply, I do appreciate it. From what you say it seems it’s not viable for me. I have a new Mac I bought a year ago and running Mojave. This is a bit of pity really, it would be good if FW moved forward. In the last 24 hours I’ve found another app that seems to be okay, actually quite pleasant to use, the only issue I have with it is that I can’t publish/upload from within the app and I really dislike using third party apps to do this. So I’ll see how it goes, in the meantime I’m sticking with Muse.

Elizabeth

On 6 Feb 2019, at 10:20 pm, grantsymon email@hidden wrote:

On 5 Feb 2019, 9:29 pm, Elizabeth wrote:

Freeway does today, exactly what it did before Softpress were forced to stop and rethink. The only thing that is different, is that going forward, from September 2019, it will no longer work with the current MacOS and probably any Mac produced thereafter. It will however, continue to work in exactly the same way with all previous Macs and OS’s. I realise this sounds obvious, but as someone who was constantly stunned to see that my photo software of choice from the 90s, was, to this day, never replaced by anything similar and incredibly, I continued to use it right up until last year. Why? Because it was faster than Photoshop (sometimes much faster) and still produced beautiful files, just as it did all those years ago. Ironically it saved me thousands in purchases and when my Mac eventually died, I replaced it with a second hand one, that costs a couple of hundred instead of 3 or 4 thousand. Hmmmm. The other irony, was that the because the OS never changed, there were no updates and the machine became a totally dedicated unit. Frozen in time. What welcome relief!!

Freeway is a powerful piece of software. That’s not going to change. The web however, is changing and perhaps unlike digital images, which remain the same today as they were back in the 80s when we drum scanned to produce high-res tiffs, FW might get left behind. Only time will tell. I’m hopeful that Softpress (Jeremy) will be able to shift what must be a complex morass of code, across to the modern MacOS, relatively quickly, as Walter says, by taking advantage of all those modern tools, like Swift and all the pre-built parts of Apple apps that are provided by those tools. You no longer have to reinvent the wheel every time you start a new project. I’m guessing that we’ll see a Pages like UI, which will be absolutely fine with me, because it is really well thought out, is easy to use and we’re already used to it. Hopefully we won’t need to do so much hopping about in the UI, as we do at present. Apple are putting tabs everywhere and they work well too (surprised just today to see how well they work in Mail, if you need to consult a few emails whilst writing another). Pages is perhaps also a metaphor for FW, because when it was rewritten to move to modern code, it lost a lot of functionality, much to the displeasure of the Pages using public. Very very slowly it has regained most of that. I hope that FW will not prove so reluctant to bring back any useful lost features, but I’m expecting them be proactive. For whatever reasons, Apple decided that pros and heavy users were not their base and turned their backs on us back then. Also, it has always seemed to be in their DNA to leave one or two irritatingly tiny little features missing from their software. Sigh.

Like everyone else, I looked at FW alternatives, after the Softpress announcement, but found nothing that really appealed. I’m not a pro, so I didn’t feel compelled to ‘move with the times’. Ironically … where I am a pro, I didn’t either … so that probably tells you something about me. I’m fairly pragmatic and I don’t think the sky is falling in. It turns out that 2 years on from the Softpress announcement, Freeway Pro is still working and I can do exactly the same things with it. I’m very hopeful, having looked at alternatives, that there is a market for a modern vs of Freeway. It seems to me that FW is just a good idea. I like the way it works. That said, communities are very important and this one has helped me enormously with my projects. (Special thanks to Delta Dave who helped me a great deal). So it’s important for Softpress, going forward to nurture the community as well as produce the software. Quite a task, but the rewards will hopefully be there.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

The latest version of FreewayPro runs perfectly on MacOS Mojave and this is likely to continue with all incremental updates to it. However it won’t run on any later full release version of MacOS until FreewayPro is rewritten.

Gordon
https://www.gordonlow.net

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

On 6 Feb 2019, 11:43 am, Elizabeth wrote:

Hello Grantsymon,

Thank you for your thorough reply, I do appreciate it. From what you say it seems it’s not viable for me. I have a new Mac I bought a year ago and running Mojave. This is a bit of pity really, it would be good if FW moved forward.

Yes, as Gordon points out, maybe I wasn’t very clear about when the change happens.

In September/October 2019, it is likely that Apple will continue with their annual update schedule and a new version of MacOS will be released. This will be a big change, because any app, that is not 64bit compatible, will not work with this new OS. All of these apps, Freeway included will continue to work with Mojave. I personally have no problems at all with FW running under Mojave.

My feeling is that Softpress will definitely be targeting an autumn release of the new FWx,or earlier if they can, but it’s just a guess. If they do indeed launch in on or before the autumn, then there will be a version of FW for every version of MacOS and all will be well.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden