Remote access to a Mac

How do I set up access as in total control over a Mac at one location from my Mac at home? This would have to include opening files, using software and printing from that remote Mac. As far as I know the IT guys who are not Mac savvy, are setting up ‘VPN’ (I think) on the remote router to allow me in. What do I need to do my end so to speak?

Kryters


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

One possible option is using the free LogMeIn service <Enable & Support Remote Working with Remote Access Anywhere | LogMeIn Pro

. Might be worth a test run. I’m sure there are other ways too.

Todd

On Sep 17, 2009, at 10:56 AM, Kryten wrote:

How do I set up access as in total control over a Mac at one
location from my Mac at home? This would have to include opening
files, using software and printing from that remote Mac. As far as I
know the IT guys who are not Mac savvy, are setting up ‘VPN’ (I
think) on the remote router to allow me in. What do I need to do my
end so to speak?


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

MobileMe will also do this as far as I know.

Joe

On 17 Sep 2009, at 17:01, Todd wrote:

One possible option is using the free LogMeIn service <Enable & Support Remote Working with Remote Access Anywhere | LogMeIn Pro

. Might be worth a test run. I’m sure there are other ways too.

Todd

On Sep 17, 2009, at 10:56 AM, Kryten wrote:

How do I set up access as in total control over a Mac at one
location from my Mac at home? This would have to include opening
files, using software and printing from that remote Mac. As far as
I know the IT guys who are not Mac savvy, are setting up ‘VPN’ (I
think) on the remote router to allow me in. What do I need to do my
end so to speak?


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

You could use a free VPN server such as OXSvnc on your office machine and then access it with a client such as Chicken Of The VNC, or JollysFastVNC. There is also the venerable Timbuktu still out there.


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Thanks boys. I will read and inwardly digest.

I’ve no doubt I’ll be back, when I can’t get it to work.

K.


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

on 17/09/2009 22:56, Kryten at email@hidden wrote:

Thanks boys. I will read and inwardly digest.

I’ve no doubt I’ll be back, when I can’t get it to work.

Hi Kryten,

I’m behind Todd’s suggestion http://Logmein.com

I have tried MobileMe, VPN and Mac’s Screen Sharing, but Logmein comes out
TOP and I’ve standardised on it.

I’ve got loads of people I support / help with their computers, both Mac and
the dreaded unmentionable/ubiquitous M$W.

Logmein is free, has sophisticated group management facilities to keep them
separate but all through my single login. I’ve also setup small workgroups
[using their own sub/login user/password setup through my account] to
collaborate across various boundaries/time zones.

There is an iPhone/Touch client and you can login from any browser, so you
don’t need to drag your Mac around with you.

There are also various paid-for offerings.

It’s great, reliable and just works [like a Mac] and no I’ve not got shares
in it!

Best wishes Peter

================================
Peter Tucker, Oxford UK email@hidden


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Funny you should mention it, Peter. I was reading an article yesterday
about LogMeIn’s Ignition iPhone app and how the company is getting
über-special treatment from Apple; apparently the only company to get
such preferential treatment, presumably in part because they’re
selling a $30 iPhone app. Ignition seems to be highly regarded in any
case.

Todd

On Sep 18, 2009, at 2:48 AM, Peter Tucker wrote:

There is an iPhone/Touch client and you can login from any browser,
so you
don’t need to drag your Mac around with you.


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

on 18/09/2009 13:53, Todd at email@hidden wrote:

Funny you should mention it, Peter. I was reading an article yesterday
about LogMeIn’s Ignition iPhone app and how the company is getting
über-special treatment from Apple; apparently the only company to get
such preferential treatment, presumably in part because they’re
selling a $30 iPhone app. Ignition seems to be highly regarded in any
case.

Hi Todd

That’s an interesting backgrounder, I had seen the price of the app, but as
I’ve only got an old Touch it would be of limited value.

If the Ignition is as good as their other apps, it’ll be great.

An iPhone, one day ;~}}

Best wishes Peter

================================
Peter Tucker, Oxford UK email@hidden


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Yeah, perhaps one day for me too. ; )

Here’s the article <http://www.ipodnn.com/articles/09/09/17/case.raises.fairness.issues/

Todd

On Sep 18, 2009, at 10:14 AM, Peter Tucker wrote:

That’s an interesting backgrounder, I had seen the price of the app,
but as
I’ve only got an old Touch it would be of limited value.

If the Ignition is as good as their other apps, it’ll be great.

An iPhone, one day ;~}}


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

I’m still watching and about to pursue, thanks for all replies & advice.

Kryters.


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Well I have to say for ease of setup LogMeIn is simplicity itself. Works a treat.

Thanks very much to all for the advice.

Kryters


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options