Resources on remote computer

I’ve been developing a site where the image files used reside on another Mac. We recently made a change to our network and now when I try to publish the site I get an interminable spinning beachball and after a very very long time a “There was a problem connecting to the server” message appears. The same thing happens when I try to edit resources (after a very very long time).

Is there any way to shut down these attempts to connect to a server Freeway can’t access?

Thanks in advance.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

I think you could set them (individually) to be “Detached” in the Edit Graphic dialog.

From memory, I think it’s also possible if you choose “Resample All” in the Edit Resources dialog (after waiting for Freeway to fail to connect) you will get an option to “Detach missing resources”.

Jeremy

On 4 Oct 2019, at 14:18, Richard Cacciato email@hidden wrote:

I’ve been developing a site where the image files used reside on another Mac. We recently made a change to our network and now when I try to publish the site I get an interminable spinning beachball and after a very very long time a “There was a problem connecting to the server” message appears. The same thing happens when I try to edit resources (after a very very long time).

Is there any way to shut down these attempts to connect to a server Freeway can’t access?

Thanks in advance.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

By the way, when Freeway can’t find an original resource an alert pops up immediately saying "RESOURCE CANNOT BE FOUND. The following resources cannot be found. The preview image will be used instead (output quality may be lower). But in this case I get an interminable beachball and Freeway keeps looking for the server.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

If the server was on an AFP share, then that’s normal. Apple File Protocol defines a series of step-back tries to resolve a broken path to a file, and some of them require what amounts to a DNS time-out. It’s a very robust protocol, with lots of fallbacks to try. But a total pain in the ass if you have lots of resources, as it has to try each. one. of. them.

If the “server” was an external drive, then the reply should be instantaneous or nearly.

Walter

On Oct 4, 2019, at 9:52 AM, Richard Cacciato email@hidden wrote:

By the way, when Freeway can’t find an original resource an alert pops up immediately saying "RESOURCE CANNOT BE FOUND. The following resources cannot be found. The preview image will be used instead (output quality may be lower). But in this case I get an interminable beachball and Freeway keeps looking for the server.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Jeremy. Where do I find the “Edit Graphic” dialog? I can’t find it. Thanks.

Walter, it’s an AFP share (an OS X Server). It. is. extremely. painfully. slow… Ugh.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Richard,

Where do I find the “Edit Graphic” dialog? I can’t find it. Thanks.

It’s displayed when you double-click on a graphic, or select it and choose Modify from the Item menu, or click on the Edit button in the Edit Resources dialog.

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks, Jeremy.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden