responsive site, from scratch or convert

After jumping through some of your pages and I’m impressed! It is a hard work to “feature” each single page by hand - using Mal’s. Page by page - growing within all the years, perhaps.

So basically, leave the structure as is - using EXACT the same file-names, such as:

http://www.nlstudio.eu/design-shop/lighting/all-lighting.html

It prevents you from htaccess redirect work and keeps all your social/SEO/ranking!

But now a go on the “rebuild”:

###Positioning

Through the huge number of single and individual pages, I’d say it’s kinda impossible keeping the “absolute positioning” up, cause it would mean to re-arrange each single item for each single page on each single breakpoint. Get used to “inflow-construction”. TheGrid (I call it so) is a 4-Column strategy - achievable.

###Showcase

I loved it - unfortunately it hasn’t been transferred into the responsive world. You make huge use of it, so you need to substitute this by (perhaps) Exhibeo.

If I’d have to do it, I’d call it a “laborious task” - time will be your friend (or enemy, who knows?)

###Design

It’s usually not mine to talk about it - it’s in everyones eyes. Two things I’d primary target if you were my client:

####The LOGO

Is neither a logo nor a brand - looking more like a EU sticker on your mobile homes. It could have some design.

####Huge shadows

I hate huge unnatural shadows (and pill-shapes just to welcome you in my world).

Huge, unnatural shadows are looking Un-Pro and can be substituted by more subtle ones. One of the biggest benefit of todays flat design.

####FONT strategy

Just to be clear: It’s absolutely OK to use “Default Fonts”. But if you use them, try to have an eye on typography. Get used to good to read sizes - line-height - letter-spacing. And perhaps have a look at Google Web Fonts. Nice and easy to use, its implementing even featured: http://www.kimmich-digitalmedia.com/videos/015_the-coding-episodes-part8-google-webfonts

####Most importantly

USE CSS Menus. A list of simple links is a no-go. And if you’re concerned about google+, I’d be more concerned in google ranking. Google can’t “see” a menu looking-like-so. It simply sees a list of external links. A “nav” element is imperative.

I hope this is OK so far, so a huge bunch of challenges “before to start” in Freeway. I recommend doing so - set a guideline and a storyboard, my all-time tipp.

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at: