Rollover Images Made in Freeway Are Weird

I have had trouble over the years relinquishing my “control” to Freeway. For example, the first year, I would not let Freeway FTP my files. I published to a folder and then uploaded them myself to make sure they were in the right place and named the right thing, because I also created all my graphics in another application and imported them as Passthru, because I didn’t want Freeway “doing anything with them.” Right, I know, what a huge waste of time.

I’ve come a long way since then, but only just yesterday decided to make some rollovers in Freeway and export them (after watching Dan’s video on freewaycast.com, that I didn’t know was there). I would normally make them in another application.

So, I make the normal images, then duplicate them and change the color for the mouseover images. When I check the size in the finder, they are exactly the same. Yet, in the browser, the mouseover images shift or appear larger, so it’s not a smooth rollover, and I can’t figure out why. I tried exporting to different formats, turning off dithering, etc.

This is the page, and the l rollover are at the top, Main Office, Issaquah Ops Center, Recyling Center:

http://atworkwa.org/locations.php

Any suggestions? I know I could go back to creating my images in another application, but …

Robin Stark

Robin

I think you’ve got caught out by one of Freeway’s foibles. You are using, alternately, interior and external shadows and Freeway includes the shadow within the external box dimension of you graphic. Hence, effectively what happens is that your external shadow shrinks your graphic slightly. At least that’s what I have found, occasionally.

First, try using the the same shadow setting for both states of the rollover and see if that cures then problem. If it does you can get the effect you want by adjusting the overall size of the graphic in each state by slightly increasing one or reducing the other. A bit of a fiddle, I know, but other wise I think you will have to “roll your own” graphics.

Unless some else knows better - and I’d like to see the answer if I’m wrong. :slight_smile:

Colin.

On 2 Feb 2009, at 14:29, Robin Stark wrote:

…, in the browser, the mouseover images shift or appear larger, so it’s not a smooth rollover, and I can’t figure out why.

This is the page, and the rollovers are at the top, Main Office, Issaquah Ops Center, Recyling Center:

http://atworkwa.org/locations.php

Any suggestions? I know I could go back to creating my images in another application, but …

Actually, I didn’t use two different shadows. It was the same inner glow on both. I had duplicated them and changed the background color. But, what you said got me thinking about the box dimensions, and I had set the the boxes to have a right padding of 5 pixels to separate the images, and that turned out to be the problem. The normal image was fit to a box with padding on the right and the hover image was filling the entire box, including the extra 5 pixels.

What I did was add the that extra 5 pixels right into the image, and now it works. I will remember that from now on.

ONE MORE QUESTION:
When that page loads up, it is on the the Main Office tab, so I would like that tab to be green/highlighted (image B) on page load but go to normal when you click on one of the other tabs. So far, all I’ve managed to do is keep that Main Office tab green all the time. I need to set it to that when one of the other tabs is clicked, the Main Office tab displays image A.

Robin Stark