Rome wasn't built in a day

Hi Thomas,
Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on this. I’ve been feeling like I’ve suddenly gone stupid ever since I tried to build my own responsive website with FW7
I am one of those new guys who were pretty much forced into building my own responsive web site. I needed to replace my old table based art website and tried to hire someone to do it. Long storey but gave up.
I didn’t like the idea of my site being held hostage with on line, monthly fee site builders so tried at least 6 of the best stand alone WYSIWYG ones then went with FW7 - because of it’s intuitive, easy to use, drag and drop interface and frankly, because it was made in England! Weird but I trust that.

Unfortunately all the good easy stuff apparently is for building old static pages and yes I was overwhelmed by nearly everything!

I’m an artist but I don’t think I’m stupid. I’ve got an industrial electronics degree, an electrical C licence, head of the technology department for a very large cablevision co., wrote a users manual for a digital spectrum analyser, repaired microwave systems and bla bla but I found FW7 too complex!
For me, thank God for Backdraft, the absolutely amazing tech support from the folks at Softpress and you folks on this forum.

Your comment that pre-responsive design you could “simply build stuff how we wanted to” hits home too. I’m an artist and I love it. Give me a pencil or paint brush and I’ll start having fun. The instantaneous connection between imagination, unconscious thought and seeing it happen on the paper is crucial to creativity. Even if it’s just doodling, it’s fun, time stops. I suspect the old days of static FW pages were a bit like that.

Try to create art with programs like Illustrator or Photoshop (particularly older versions) forces you outside that zone and just kills the creative flow. It’s work, not fun, slow, complex left brain analysing and pre-planning.

But to end on the positive, new programs have immerged for artists like Painter, upgrades to Photoshop and tablets which are making computer design fun again. Like the ancient battle between DOS and Apple ways of doing things I suspect this will happen here too with future releases of FW and emerging platforms like Sparkle Scarlett and Blocks etc.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at: