Scroll layer and Picture slide show not working on same page

Hi

I put this originally in the Freeway Talk thread but had no response so I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction here?

I set up a scroll layer on home page for my news items which was working.

I then set up a picture slide show on a sequence timer for 5 images for the heading of the page on the master page so it repeated on all pages

since doing this the scroll layer does not work on my home page

any suggestions on being able to have both working at the same time on the home page.
Any ideas as to what am I doing wrong?

thank you

Justin

tutorials mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

There has been some discussion here about certain javascript not working correctly in some browsers if your File>Document Setup>Output HTML code (2nd drop down) is set to More Efficient rather than More Readable.

Also different versions of Scriptaculous/Protaculous dont always play well together - but I dont know what Scroller and your slideshow are using!

But first change your Code output to More Readable, republish and have a look.

David

tutorials mailing list
email@hidden

Hi David

Thanks for this and forgive me for not providing all the info I’m a bit of a self taught newbie.

I tried resetting the doc setup as suggested but it is still not working

The images I created exactly as in the Freeway quicktime tutorial for scriptaculaous slide show.

The ‘Latest News’ scroll I have set up by creating a text box with a scroll content action with my text which is set of the page for editing. Then there is a box on the page where I want the text to appear which has been set up to link to this text using the action scroll layer. The buttons have been used via the scroll button action. I have attached the 3 action panels as screenshots. Do these screenshots appear?

/Users/grapevine/Desktop/Picture 3.png
/Users/grapevine/Desktop/Picture 2.png
/Users/grapevine/Desktop/Picture 4.png

As you can see the text connects up correctly. It is just the scrolling action which doesn’t work now.

The actions worked prior to setting up the scriptaculous slide show.

tutorials mailing list
email@hidden

You probably should upload your screenshots to a webserver, and publish the url’ of these files here.
We can’t see the pics you’re talking about.

Richard

tutorials mailing list
email@hidden

On 24 Oct 2008, 8:05 am, justwills wrote:

Hi David

Thanks for this and forgive me for not providing all the info I’m a bit of a self taught newbie.

I tried resetting the doc setup as suggested but it is still not working

The images I created exactly as in the Freeway quicktime tutorial for scriptaculaous slide show.

The ‘Latest News’ scroll I have set up by creating a text box with a scroll content action with my text which is set of the page for editing. Then there is a box on the page where I want the text to appear which has been set up to link to this text using the action scroll layer. The buttons have been used via the scroll button action. I have attached the 3 action panels as screenshots. Do these screenshots appear?

/Users/grapevine/Desktop/Picture 3.png
/Users/grapevine/Desktop/Picture 2.png
/Users/grapevine/Desktop/Picture 4.png

As you can see the text connects up correctly. It is just the scrolling action which doesn’t work now.

The actions worked prior to setting up the scriptaculous slide show.

Attachments to messages posted to these lists are always stripped off.

As to your problem, Firebug reports two errors, but I am not able to trace out why it does. Is it possible that you have applied the scrolling action to two nested elements? The way it nets out, you have an inline listener (onmouseover) that calls the same function twice, then sets a timeout and calls it a third time, perhaps just for good luck. This may be normal, I can’t tell. Can you make two pages – one with just the fading slideshow and one with just the scrolling layer – and let’s see if they work in isolation.

As a temporary work-around so your page still works, get rid of the scrolling layer Action altogether. Set the “frame” layer (the visible box on the screen where the content appears) of the scrolling layer effect to Overflow: Auto. Paste all of the content from the too-tall scrolling insert layer into the “frame” layer, and you should get native browser scrollbars within your page. (When you click on the frame element, you will see all of the content. When you click elsewhere, this layer will close up to whatever height you have set for it.)

The scrolling layer effect was designed to compensate for early browsers which didn’t support the Overflow properly evenly or well. Unless you have some allergy to normal browser-driven control elements for aesthetic reasons, this may be enough.

But if we can see the two effects working in isolation, perhaps then there’s a way to fix them together.

There’s most likely a way to make the scrolling effect using Prototype/Scriptaculous rather than trying to swim upstream against it.

Walter

tutorials mailing list
email@hidden