Scrutinizing SPARKLE (Freeway alternative)

Caleb,

Again, thanks for your help with my freeway site.

One more question! Or, one more question? It’s a philosophical one, I’m afraid.

Is the problem with fixed break points that the pages will be perfect in some devices (where the break points line up) but slightly too small in others?

In my iPad (I have a flip phone so that’s out!) I can resize text, or photos, or other stuff to fit the window with a tap of the screen. Isn’t the combination of fixed break points with the abilty to resize windows enough to overcome the limitations of not doing a percentage based layout?

In freeway, I just assumed that was the case, though recognized that a “fully responsive” site was going to be better I didn’t think it was necessarily much, much better.

It might be my age, or that I prefer books (and I’m sincere in thinking that might be part of my esthetic bias) but I’ve never liked sites where everything was 100% of the width of the screen. I just don’t like the look, but if I have two columns that means that there has to be a point where the items are repositioned at some break point.

There is no doubt you prefer, and make sites which are fully responsive. But what do you think I am really sacrificing by sticking with the freeway/Sparkle approach?

I’d love to hear!

Thanks again, Caleb. And everyone else.

Mark

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at: