Scrutinizing SPARKLE (Freeway alternative)

Hi Omar,

Testing the design in Safari’s responsive design mode showed that Sparkle did not scale well automatically between the devices. Some of the issues were minor but a few moments spent adjusting the design on the intermediate devices was, in my view, worthwhile.

Therefore, I actually used all of Sparkles five devices and also needed to override some behaviour using Ecwid’s custom CSS.

The majority of my traffic is, as you say, mobiles and tablets - 80% in fact. But - and this may be for another thread entirely. purchases from my other sites are still about 50% desktop. I guess that people either like to purchase securely in their own homes or the purchase is a shared decision.

Richard is spot on - if Freeway does rise from the ashes then it has some serious work to do to tackle the likes of Blocs, Pinegrow, the whole Responsive suite and Adobe Muse, too.

My biggest fear is just how long will Freeway work with MacOS - the next release (High Sierra) probably due in around a month promises a new file system. New file systems usually mean problems so I won’t be an early adopter!

Frankly, if you are a serious web site builder rather than a casual user, then you have a plethora of frameworks and supporting tools to choose from.

The real problem is the maintenance of Freeway legacy sites, some of which may have many many pages. Sparkle will not help - if Freeway folds you will need access to the HTML and CSS it generated.

I really do see why Thomas went down the Pinegrow route…

Steve

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at: