Scrutinizing SPARKLE (Freeway alternative)

I’ve been very happy with Sparkle, but I was at the non-code side of the Freeway community. There certainly is less flexibility than Freeway, but it hasn’t affected me much. No drop down menus, no paypal action (I embeded paypal’s code instead) and I think if you want to do ecommerce you’d have to do the “build a page on square and link to it” kind of thing.

Locating items on a page has been, for me drag until the alignment lines appear. And adjust the number of grid lines until it gives you the layout you want.

But, you will never get all the control we had with Freeway. It’s going to be about what you want and what are you willing to compromise on. For me my compromises were virtually nil, for other’s it won’t be an acceptable amount at all. I really like it a lot, others will hate it.

There are several videos on YouTube covering how to use Sparkle. I watch a few of them and they were helpful. I found the ones by River Design the most helpful, but for the most part found the program very intuitive. I think from what I learned with Freeway it was extremely easy to figure out. Their channel is:

Sparkle, Visual Web Design - YouTube

There are other videos out there, obviously.

Two things:

The preview is default to Safari only. In fact you can turn off Chrome and Firefox but cannot turn off Safari.

To proportionally change the size of an image you drag a corner. Dragging the sides allow you to change the dimensions of the image or video. I think.

I did write the person who answered the two questions I had telling him about this thread. Perhaps he’ll respond. I told him about the “non-code replacement for Freeway” thread when it popped up and he didn’t want to respond out of respect for the folks at SoftPress. Maybe he’ll think differently about this thread.

Sorry for the overly long response.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at: