Scrutinizing SPARKLE (Freeway alternative)

This whole responsive thing is bewildering to me, at least a bit.

I went to Sparkle becuase it doesn’t rely on templates, it’s responsive, it doesn’t come with an attached web hosting and it’s insanely easy. Stuff that too me (someone on the lower edge of the Freeway community, to be sure) hours on Freeway take me minutes in Sparkle. It’s completely intuitive, I only looked at the documentation when I had issues a few times. If you can make a Page document, or make a Keynote presentation you can use this program.

But I wonder how one can say that, because it’s not a percentage based layout and is responsive because of break point adjustments that it’s not responsive.

My site was made with break points. I have looked at it on these devices: iMac, IPad (landscape and portrait for all these devices, by the way), iPad mini, iPhone 6, iPhone 4, a Samsung phone running something, and an iPod touch 2nd generation.

The site framed properly on all those devices, so how is that not responsive? And that’s not a rhetorical question, how is it not repsonive if it responds and frames corrrectly to every device I’ve used to look at the site?

I think in Sparkle one uses something like 4 breakpoints and the devices I used had 13 different screen sizes.

I wonder if it is the fact that the devices themselves can adapt to what is presented to them compensates for the lack of percentage based layout?

Needless to say I don’t know how it works so well but I have a hard time saying it’s not responsive.

I also want to thank James for all his work in looking into all these programs and Thomas and Walt for their input.

It’s also great that SoftPress is still keeping this site up. Freeway Talk was probably the best part of the whole Freeway experience.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at: