Scrutinizing SPARKLE (Freeway alternative)

Thomas, I don’t get your passive-aggressive way of underhandedly disparaging anybody who doesn’t view the world exactly as you do. Not a game I’m interested in playing.

But since you’re criticizing Sparkle out loud in the Sparkle thread I feel the need to defend it.

What Sparkle’s code looks like is frankly completely irrelevant if you don’t need to further edit it, as is the case with Sparkle and for Sparkle users. Not liking the “font-1” css selector is akin to not liking the color of the fuel pipe in your car. I’m sure your mechanic loves you for that.

As per the 33k you fail to mention that by using the rather verbose element (standards committees to thank for that), asset download is optimal for each visiting device. In other words, because Sparkle resizes and compresses images for different devices and pixel densities, an iPhone would be downloading the 150kb jpeg instead of the 330kb jpeg a desktop visitor would download. Sparkle also goes to great lengths to avoid bloat in the bundled javascript, something even many developers fail at doing.

We have thousands of users for whom code simply isn’t an option, either because symbolic thinking (left brain) and visual thinking (right brain) are too hard to mix for them, or because the time needed to wrap their head around some arcane browser bug or CSS “feature” isn’t compatible with their busy life. In fact statistically speaking I’d say WYSIWYG is the future and handcoding HTML is dead, it just isn’t apparent in this particular echo-chamber.

Unlike Freeway, Sparkle isn’t a dead product. You don’t want to use Sparkle? Fine. You don’t think Sparkle is good for you? Understood. Intellectual honesty would have you admitting that Sparkle is simply amazing for its target audience.

So it’s the amateurs who are creating the unique, distinct new websites and the professionals creating the canned-looking ones. Go figure…

Duncan

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at: