Scrutinizing SPARKLE (Freeway alternative)

Duncan,

Perhaps I should have added a caveat to my question… For example, I recently added flexbox to a FreeWay site that I designed. You can see the result here and here. In each of these situations, the WYSIWYG aspect of FreeWay is limited. But I understand that. I’m asking it to do more than what it is built out of the box to handle. So the trade off I’m making is the visual look of FreeWay is not totally what it is after it’s uploaded, but it is close enough for my purposes.

For beginner FreeWay users, keeping things exactly WYSIWYG is important. It’s too confusing otherwise. But once people get a handle on things, the questions come… “how do I do thus-in-such in FreeWay,” often the answer is either a plugin or special code pasted somewhere.

Sometimes, that code needs to be placed in two places, in the section, or before /head section AND wherever the code is to appear. It was necessary to do this "two place pasting of code on this page for the slideshow, and on this page for the “sticky” nav menu. Those are a couple of examples of what I’m talking about. They were tricky for me to learn the first time, but once tackled, I want to be able to use such elements on future sites. I want to add to my toolbox as I gain more skills as a designer.

Another example is, if I want to add CMS bits of code with Pulse or Perch, or Inlay, can I do that in Sparkle. iFrame is not ideal when it comes to responsive sites and I’ve been trying to avoid it as much as possible for several years. If a bit of Pulse code has to be inside an iFrame for my client to edit their site I’m afraid that would lead to all kinds of problems. In freeway, I just wrapped this special code in a

all it’s own and then moved on with my day. YES, the code does not appear on the FreeWay document itself. I don’t need it to. I just need the ability to paste it where I need it. I know you were getting at this in Walt’s question above, but I didn’t really understand the answer or if it would work for my purposes.

I realize the excessive use of sliders and whatnot can slow a site loading time down. But sometimes that is exactly what the client wants. I’m dealing with that on the slider example I gave you. It’s less than ideal when it comes to loading time, but it is exactly what the client wants and sometimes at the end of the day that is the necessary trade we have to make.

I know Sparkle is trying to keep things simple, but are these more complicated elements supported? Out of the box, Sparkle looks great, but I’m afraid if I can’t stretch it’s capabilities here and there I will feel very limited.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at: