Scrutinizing SPARKLE (Freeway alternative)

OK I understand. I’ll take advantage of your discount and hope for your continued success. I’ll be pointing all my mac friends your way too :slight_smile:

Think I’ve sussed the menu and sections bit now - so easy. That would’ve taken me hours in FW!

Thanks again for your help

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

Hi Duncan,

Thanks much for your replies!!! I do have the free version and I do know there is no time limit on it, which is why I have the free version and not the trial.

Questions:

It doesn’t seem possible to change the page width to 1200 in the free version, tho I might not have realized how yet. And, I’m not sure I understand the explanation about page widths. Are you saying whether I create a page at 960 or 1200, the browser will handle it’s view? When I preview the page created at 960 it is a tiny thing! Whereas my FW sites that were made with a 900 something size look quite large in the browsers. I would prefer to have a larger presence than what I’m seeing at preview.

Fonts: I’ve read through the Fonts and Text documentation. I’ve attempted to load a webfont and there wasn’t any indication that it actually loaded. The area on the Font Panel for custom webfonts didn’t show the font after I selected in on my HD & clicked “open”. However, when I preview the page in my browsers that font looks fine, whereas others I don’t have webfonts for change in Firefox. Is that the only way to tell if it’s loaded?

The Active mark next to the font name doesn’t mean it’s OK for web, just “active” on the layout, correct? I surmise this because it’s showing one of the fonts I use as active but it’s the one that changes in Firefox.

Looking at the Font Panel, how do we know if a font is sourced from Google’s webfont index?

Thanks so much for your replies. It’s a different approach than FW, and now I need to read through to understand how Sparkle handles Master Pages or what that becomes in Sparkle.

So far, I think this is pretty cool and a few more days of trying out, will probably result in a purchase. From a designer’s point of view, you’ve thought of many things to address, make easy, make familiar as to our usual tools of the trade, and I very much appreciate that!

I know many folks here like to code, yet I am not one. I paid my dues ages ago as a Software Engineer until I woke up and went back to my first love, Art & Design which I now have been doing for even longer ages… I love being able to focus on the design and not deal with the coding. Too much of a brain shift otherwise. So far, Sparkle is pretty sweet. And hello, your support here is amazing and creates confidence in the product.

Thank you!!!

joette / redfeather

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Duncan,

I’ve moved on in Sparkle and figured out most of the questions I had previously however, I am having issues with fonts line breaking where they shouldn’t, which is very important on the home page with display text. I sent an email yesterday to “feedback” at Sparkle with a PDF showing how it looks within Sparkle and what happens in browsers.

Today, I made the words all the same color and the text is fine. Is this a bug? Why would the text line break when a word is a different color?

More font questions: Several of my own webfonts do not include TTF/OTF - only WOFF, EOT, SVG. Consequently I cannot use them in Sparkle so am forced to use Google fonts which is a bummer when one needs a certain look. Since we cannot get into the code at all - a feature FW has and would be nice to have here – what plans are there to allow for these fonts in Sparkle? Currently, we can only load them if we also have the TTF/OTF version too.

One more thing, it would be really nice to have ruler guides. Might that be in a future release? Yes, the smart guides can help to line up and then there’s the align tools but sometimes one needs to have a ruler guide to see if text is lining up across the page. There is currently no way to do that unless I draw a box across and use that as a guide. Rulers would be really nice.

Thank you!

joette

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Joette,

apologies for the late answer. In general if there’s a layout discrepancy between the in-canvas view and the browser output we will need you to send the .sparkle file that shows the issue and we can investigate. I agree the color shouldn’t make a different, so perhaps there’s some combination of font and exact text frame width that’s causing the problem. We generally solve these quickly and send out a pre-release of Sparkle or a workaround when this happens.

The problem with missing TTF/OTF is Sparkle is rendering the canvas not via HTML but via native code, and we currently don’t have a way to import a woff. I’m not really sure how code access would help you here, as you might get the effect you need in the final published site but you still can’t show the fonts in canvas.

Thanks for the suggestion about rulers. They’re on our list already, but we’re always happy to hear new ideas.

Duncan

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Duncan,
Excuse me if I am re-asking. Did I understand correctly that there is no way to include a way for my client to make simple edits to areas of text or to upload a photo to a designated block? A simple content management system is a requirement of MANY clients these days and would be something I would need to make Sparkle my go-to web design software.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Steve,

I don’t recall you asking, sorry for dropping the ball on this. Sparkle doesn’t include a CMS and doesn’t integrate with any either.

There are several reasons for this. One is that we haven’t found a CMS that will produce code on par with Sparkle’s, particularly for responsive images. Another is the CMSs I have seen have a really terrible, decontextualized interface for the end users. Yet another is Sparkle’s code output is a very tight knit combination of layout and content, so a seemingly simple edit could end up breaking the layout in a way that is not understandable for the end user, not to mention no integration with the built-in style or color management.

Sparkle is itself a CMS (it lets you manage content afterall) that is simple enough for end users to use directly, and many do, not unlike people not using a consultant to build their Powerpoints and Keynotes.

So in essence we are pushing this feature back as we develop other aspects of Sparkle further. Hopefully in the not too distant future it will make sense to revisit this and find a proper solution.

Thanks,
Duncan

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thank you for the reply Duncan. That would be the deal breaker for me then. I want to offer my clients the opportunity they desire to make simple modifications on their own, such as edit text or images in designated areas. But I do not want to allow them access to the whole site. Using Sparkle as a CMS is great for me, but not for my clients. Thank you.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks to all for this thread. I maintain my current Freeway sites, but time will come when I have to move forwards. I looked at Sparkle, and thought, I will wait for it to evolve. I am much clearer now on the issues at stake. And for me its simple. I dont want to code. So, no coding, no problem. And I appreciate Duncan’s time and attention to issues raised. That kind of responsiveness makes a difference in my confidence about jumping platforms.
One of the things stellar about Freeway was FreewayTalk, and the example set by the Freeway staff, who would answer all queries and problem, in a timely manner, in great detail. I consider the best quality tech-support I have EVER experienced. It made a huge difference in learning Freeway, dealing with problems I came across. I hope that Sparkle will be able to be this responsive, as is evidenced by Duncan on this forum. And yeah, Duncan, your help guide needs to be a little more detailed and searchable. I will be taking advantage of the discount…

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi and good day,

Finally got a chance to learn about picture dimensions … in the Retina world.

Thank you for all the fantastic input & assistance from the FRW community over the years with FRW and its entanglements!

Having now moved on to Sparkle 2.1 what I like is the relative ease with which beautiful webpages can be designed - with live preview and responsiveness as is.

Yes it’s the Smartphone era we’re in and if the bells & whistles aren’t there it’s quite ok for me.
(And the masses are on Facebook anyway :slight_smile:

/
with best regards,
Omar KN
Stockholm, Sweden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hello, OmarKN:

Regarding Sparkle 2.1, where did you get it? It doesn’t seem to be on offer
here (U.S.). I have a 2.0.6. The “check for updates” menu choice says that
version is the latest.

Thanks for any info you can give.

On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 4:28 PM, OmarKN email@hidden wrote:

Hi and good day,

Finally got a chance to learn about picture dimensions … in the Retina
world.

Thank you for all the fantastic input & assistance from the FRW community
over the years with FRW and its entanglements!

Having now moved on to Sparkle 2.1 what I like is the relative ease with
which beautiful webpages can be designed - with live preview and
responsiveness as is.

Yes it’s the Smartphone era we’re in and if the bells & whistles aren’t
there it’s quite ok for me.
(And the masses are on Facebook anyway :slight_smile:

/
with best regards,
Omar KN
Stockholm, Sweden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Hi Ranald,

Sparkle (co)developer here. Really sorry about the tease, we actually give out 2.1 betas when there’s a critical bug that the beta fixes, in an effort to be helpful and solve our users’ troubles with Sparkle.

We really wouldn’t have the ability to respond to the feedback that a widespread distribution of the beta would entail, so we keep it limited.

We haven’t announced the 2.1 release date yet, but we’re in the final phases of the development cycle so it shouldn’t be long.

Thanks,
Duncan
http://sparkle.cx http://sparkle.cx/

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks, Duncan. Omar’s note made me wonder if I had somehow missed the
release.

I will wait (mostly) patiently for 2.1.

Ranald

On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 7:24 PM, Duncan Wilcox email@hidden
wrote:

Hi Ranald,

Sparkle (co)developer here. Really sorry about the tease, we actually give
out 2.1 betas when there’s a critical bug that the beta fixes, in an effort
to be helpful and solve our users’ troubles with Sparkle.

We really wouldn’t have the ability to respond to the feedback that a
widespread distribution of the beta would entail, so we keep it limited.

We haven’t announced the 2.1 release date yet, but we’re in the final
phases of the development cycle so it shouldn’t be long.

Thanks,
Duncan
http://sparkle.cx http://sparkle.cx/

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I use Sparkle and find their support to be second to non, there are many shortfalls with the app but it’s great value and I have no doubt whatsoever it will get better and better.

I had an issue and was given 2.1 which fixed it - panic over after issues with freeway only to find Softpress doors closed caused a significant financial loss in late '16 . My business like so many others is 100% web dependent for new prospects - though we have a great repeat and referral rate we always need new blood. I managed to get a couple of hundred page website rebuilt in rudimentary form in pretty short order. I have had menu, font and memory issues but found easy workarounds.

All in all I found a 9/10 app in my hour of greatest need.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Tom T-D,

Thank you for sharing your experience.

You said you rebuilt “a couple hundred pages” in Sparkle. By chance, were those very basic pages, or did you have a lot of Actions and/or HTML markup on them?

Thanks,

James Wages

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

You said you rebuilt “a couple hundred pages” in Sparkle. By chance, were those very basic pages, or did you have a lot of Actions and/or HTML markup on them?

Hi James,

I’m not sure what site Tom built.

Just to clarify Sparkle doesn’t have “actions”, and while HTML blocks are possible they’re not the primary way to create content in Sparkle, and they don’t affect publishing performance.

We have seen very large sites built by our customers, and while I’d say that going above 100 pages is pushing the limit, there’s nothing in Sparkle actively preventing it.

The trouble is mainly navigating the site, the thumbnail list on the left of the window limits the number of visible pages to about 5 (depending on the screen height), so it’s impractical to have hundreds. We are aware of this and will improve it. Meanwhile the Sparkle engine is happy to export/publish any number of pages with any content.

Duncan

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Duncan,

The reason why I have been hoping to hear back from Tom T-D is because I wanted to know if all of those “hundreds of Freeway pages” originally used lots of Actions and HTML Markup. My sites certainly do, and so if he informs me that his site in Freeway used a lot of actions and custom markup too, then it would be a clear indication to me that Sparkle would be the proper tool for me to make a transition away from Freeway. Right now, I am still using Freeway, mainly because I have two huge sites that rely on a lot of custom HTML Markup code and Actions. And while I understand that I must rebuild everything again in Sparkle, knowing that my rebuilt sites would work as well as the original Freeway sites is a concern that has held me back from moving to another app. And I’ll be completely honest, there are only 2 apps that I’ve personally considered to be prospective alternatives to Freeway for me: (1) Sparkle and (2) Blocs.

So, Tom T-D, if you are still watching this thread, I would appreciate having your feedback.

Many thanks!

James Wages

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi All,

I recently needed to get a new site up. I had hoped to move from Freeway Pro to Pinegrow but never managed to find the time to get to grips with Pinegrow before the trial expired. Pinegrow really needs a 30 day trial for non-professionals like me.

For whatever reasons Freeway Pro 7 with Backdraft was not playing nicely with my design for an Ecwid based site.

Duncan had been very helpful when I trialled Sparkle earlier even letting me have a copy of the beta of 2.1 which allowed the Ecwid store to expand vertically. So I thought why not give it a go.

The latest version was Sparkle Pro 2.2.1 and two things were immediately evident:

1. This is a very intuitive app for anyone coming from Freeway.
  2. Forget Sparkle’s automatic scaling across devices (sorry Duncan!)

Once you realise that you will have to manually intervene at every device size life become much easier. As Caleb noted earlier in this thread Sparkle is not truly responsive. But with a little effort you can make make a pretty good pass at it!

Anyway, I managed to create what I wanted in Sparkle (and a few tweaks to its generated code with Brackets - setting height of an image to 100vh and applying text-shadow) pretty quickly. The results, still a work in progress (my real business is growing plants as you’ll see) can be seen here:

thymeplants.co.uk

For a straightforward single page site Sparkle Pro proved to be an excellent replacement for Freeway Pro. I’ll be adding more pages and more detail over the next few weeks, which is why I have purchased the Pro version, but see no reason why there should be problems.

Steve

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

responsive

On your site you (probably) use 4 device widths.

As for me, I found 2 sizes enough: desktop and 320px Smartphone. The rest (f ex. iPad landscape) are covered automatically.

And btw. about 64% of internet users (+) surf with their smartphones.

/
with best regards,
Omar KN
Stockholm, Sweden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Since this thread was bumped.

I wonder if @JDW ever successfully switched to Sparkle or something else? He also had a thread regarding Blocs as seen in the following thread: Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

I guess the lingering bigger question is “when” and “what” will the next incarnation of FreeWay be? Likewise, will those whom moved on to other apps have enough reason to be enticed back to being FreeWay users after moving on?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Simply stated … almost every single Freeway alternative offers (far) more than whatever Freeway did when it hit the iceberg. So any new app that will be released by Softpress has to -at least- beat these apps, we’re not ‘here’ just for nostalgic reasons. Freeway did have a lot of potential in it’s former life, but wrong choices were made and well … we know what happened then.

Blocs offers some awesome stuff, and in my case Coffeecup offers a whole bunch of apps who just work together seamlessly. They could learn a thing or two from Freeway; even Freeway 1 offered functionalities I miss dearly in today’s Responsive Site Designer. But even though it still runs circles around Freeway 7 … it’s all that I’ve ever wanted and more.

Nevertheless I’m still around, Freeway was my first love … so for as long as there’s a light turned on in Softpress towers, I’m here for support and pure enthusiasm.

– Richard

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden