Seasonal gallery on responsive site

This is odd… I did change to higher resolution images. Everything is there… I closed FW, started again, verified files on the page, published everything again and uploaded and yet it is still not there!! How is this possible?

I finally used Transmit (ftp) to upload the image and everything is fine again!

I feels like the whole Apple environment is becoming more and more like Windows.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

Click on the image in Freeway, and look in the Inspector. Freeway may have renamed the file for you.

Walter

On Dec 27, 2018, at 1:27 PM, Zignar email@hidden wrote:

This is odd… I did change to higher resolution images. Everything is there… I closed FW, started again, verified files on the page, published everything again and uploaded and yet it is still not there!! How is this possible?

I finally used Transmit (ftp) to upload the image and everything is fine again!

I feels like the whole Apple environment is becoming more and more like Windows.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Did that but no, that was not the reason. It was there, it just did not upload!!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Something is still going on. I though we had fixed this. I looked great last month. I just checked the site and it should have switched image (jan 1) on this page: http://www.smalandsgardar.nu/aktuellt.php

However - now there is nothing!

Do you have any clue?
Thank you!

Sverker

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

the: winter2.jpeg
image can’t be found in the Resource folder
this the actual error:

Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found)  http://www.smalandsgardar.nu/Resources/winter2.jpeg

so my guess is its not there or not in the correct folder

Max

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I am going nuts! They were all there, it seamed to be working fine, but now I notice that they have all been renamed by Freeway… very frustrating. Why does it do that?

I guess I should rewrite the PHP script rather than renaming the files. Otherwise it is bound to return and haunt me again.

Thank you Max!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Actually, I still need help!

I see this problem that seems vaguely familiar. I think I had something similar a number of years ago. But I cannot recall how or why this happens, and what I can do to prevent it…

As I check the files in resources I find that Freeway has not only changed the names on these images. It has also made duplicates and added a “b version” of each file. So instead of having winter1.jpeg, winter2.jpeg, winter3.jpeg, spring1.jpeg, etc. (a total of 12 images, one for each month, which the script call on). I now have winter2a.jpeg, winter2b.jpeg, winter3a.jpeg, winter3b.jpeg, spring1a.jpeg, spring1a.jpeg.

As I said, I think I have seen Freeway do something similar in the past, (with external resources?) What can I do to make sure FW does not fiddle around with the file names?

Thank you!!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Try using the built-in Upload Stuff action which may help with the renaming issues. Failing that upload the files using an FTP app like Fetch or Cyberduck.

Gordon
http://www.gordonlow.net/

On 16 Jan 2019, at 4:37 pm, Zignar email@hidden wrote:

Actually, I still need help!

I see this problem that seems vaguely familiar. I think I had something similar a number of years ago. But I cannot recall how or why this happens, and what I can do to prevent it…

As I check the files in resources I find that Freeway has not only changed the names on these images. It has also made duplicates and added a “b version” of each file. So instead of having winter1.jpeg, winter2.jpeg, winter3.jpeg, spring1.jpeg, etc. (a total of 12 images, one for each month, which the script call on). I now have winter2a.jpeg, winter2b.jpeg, winter3a.jpeg, winter3b.jpeg, spring1a.jpeg, spring1a.jpeg.

As I said, I think I have seen Freeway do something similar in the past, (with external resources?) What can I do to make sure FW does not fiddle around with the file names?

Thank you!!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Well, I uploaded the files with Transmit. Worked great (as Transmit always do).

The question is rather why does Freeway duplicate and rename the files after the upload? If I write a php script, does Freeway require me to upload it via an action?

I don’t understand!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I think the reason for the renaming is that Freeway is trying to be helpful. It knows about all of its own resources and can change names and references internally. However it doesn’t want to risk overwriting any other files which may exist and be needed so it renames them. It’s the same when you copy and paste an image within Freeway, it’ll append a number or letter to the end. To some extent you can take control of this by looking at the names used in the side bar of each page and rename them yourself.

I’m sure Walter and Jeremy will have a better and more correct explanation.

All the best

Gordon
http://www.gordonlow.net/

On 16 Jan 2019, at 5:08 pm, Zignar email@hidden wrote:

Well, I uploaded the files with Transmit. Worked great (as Transmit always do).

The question is rather why does Freeway duplicate and rename the files after the upload? If I write a php script, does Freeway require me to upload it via an action?

I don’t understand!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Walter or Max or Jeremy?!

Any explanation? What can I do to prevent this?

Thanks
Sverker

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

When Freeway publishes, it consults the document’s database of published resources (both user-added and Action-generated), and ensures that there are no duplicates. Duplicate (binary-equal files) are relinked, so that only one of each is published.

Next, it compares the files it knows about (the ones in its document) with any existing files in your local site folder that it didn’t create. Because it cannot know what you meant by putting those files in the output folder where it is publishing, Freeway renames the files that it will publish, to avoid overwriting a file you may be attached to.

Finally, when you upload, Freeway only uploads the files it published from the current document. No matter what else you put in the site folder on your Mac, Freeway will not upload it.

All of this is how it is supposed to work. Occasionally, Freeway will go nuts and forget about a file it published two weeks ago or whenever. Once that connection is broken, Freeway cannot guess what to do, so it treats that file as if you manually put it in the site folder.

The short answer is just to delete all the files in your site folder on your Mac. This is completely safe, because Freeway will generate all the files over again when you publish or preview.

Then go through the document page by page, click on each image, and rename it in the Inspector. Now when you upload, you should get the original names.

If you notice that you aren’t allowed to name an image in a certain way, it may be that you are using an “illegal” character in the name, and Freeway is saving you from your mistake.

If you see that an image is stubbornly adding a number or letter to its name, that’s because there is a duplicate-named element (not necessarily an image) on the same page.

If you see (by inspecting the Resources folder) that you have picture.jpeg, picture1.jpeg, picture1a.jpeg, etc., then that’s because you have two or more images named “picture” somewhere in the entire site that are not the same exact image.

Walter

On Jan 16, 2019, at 10:18 AM, Zignar email@hidden wrote:

Walter or Max or Jeremy?!

Any explanation? What can I do to prevent this?

Thanks
Sverker

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks Walter,
That is really helpful, as far as I understand it. I now remember seeing this phenomena before, how FW adds a new file extension every time I publish.

I read through what you wrote several times and still I am uncertain of how to proceed fixing it. Bare with me…

If you remember, (you helped me with this earlier), we wrote a script for displaying these images in a box. When I now look at the images as listed in Freeway, they are all correctly named (as I named them before). However on the server they have been renamed - twice!

So, how do I proceed? I don’t see the point in deleting the files on my Mac (as they are all correctly named in FW). I am simply too dense to understand fully.

My instinct would be to delete all those images on the remote server, rename the images in Freeway to something more unique i.e januaryimage.jpeg, februaryimage.jpeg etc. Rewrite the php script accordingly, upload it (with my FTP or should I let FW handle it?) and then kill a chicken, pray and publish.
I am afraid I will have forgotten it all, if this reoccurs in a few months (next time I publish the site).

Would this method above be likely to fix it?
Thanx again for your patient support.

Sverker

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Try deleting the files on your Mac first. That’s easier and more likely to give you the results you want. There is no harm in doing this. If it makes you nervous for any reason, just use the Document Setup dialogue to specify a new, different site folder, so you’ll keep the old one. Then double check your document for renamed files, then publish. When you upload, Freeway will overwrite files on the server. It will never overwrite files on your Mac.

Walter

On Jan 16, 2019, at 11:32 AM, Zignar email@hidden wrote:

Thanks Walter,
That is really helpful, as far as I understand it. I now remember seeing this phenomena before, how FW adds a new file extension every time I publish.

I read through what you wrote several times and still I am uncertain of how to proceed fixing it. Bare with me…

If you remember, (you helped me with this earlier), we wrote a script for displaying these images in a box. When I now look at the images as listed in Freeway, they are all correctly named (as I named them before). However on the server they have been renamed - twice!

So, how do I proceed? I don’t see the point in deleting the files on my Mac (as they are all correctly named in FW). I am simply too dense to understand fully.

My instinct would be to delete all those images on the remote server, rename the images in Freeway to something more unique i.e januaryimage.jpeg, februaryimage.jpeg etc. Rewrite the php script accordingly, upload it (with my FTP or should I let FW handle it?) and then kill a chicken, pray and publish.
I am afraid I will have forgotten it all, if this reoccurs in a few months (next time I publish the site).

Would this method above be likely to fix it?
Thanx again for your patient support.

Sverker

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I am going nuts!

I went through everything above (I think). I even renamed the image files. Deleted everything. Renamed the file links in the php script. Uploaded that one, and finally published. Everything looked fine!

But, when I just republished the site (while working on a reCaptcha update), Freeway had renamed all the image files, adding the number 1. So now the PHP script no longer works.

Either I misunderstood you Walter or I did something wrong!
Is it not possible to have this function stable, and being able to update the site without loosing it?

How can I go about to prevent this from being repeated (I can of course now rename the image files and the script will work until the next time I publish)

thanx
Sverker

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I think I finally beat the machine.

I went through the site in detail (on Freeway) and found some “lost” image links and other php links (old reCaptcha etc). Once that was all cleared up I did what Walter suggested (above).

I deleted all the files in my site folder on my local computer, published everything. I then connected with my FTP (Transmit) and compared the two directories (local & remote). I proceeded to delete any funny files on the remote that had been generated in the past by FW. Then I finally uploaded the site and everything looks clean and nice!

Hopefully it will stay that way for a while…

Sverker

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden