Send form not working

I did contact my server about getting php working, and all the things have been done so this should be operating.
But people fill in this form, it says ‘success form sent’, but I do not receive an email from it… not sure what to do.

http://gti.today/Intake/clientintakeformchinese

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

Well, thats not always true. The trouble is, sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesnt. When I do it, it seems to work. When clients fill it in, it often doesnt…

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Steve,

This is probably because the Action allows you to use the sender address as the from address. This is unlikely to work because of anti-spam measures that have been introduced since the Action was written.

We’re planning to update the Action, and we’ll get back to you when we’ve done this!

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Steve,

We’ve updated the Action to use Reply-To for the email address entered into the form instead of changing the From address. If you are already using Use Item for Sender Address, this change should happen by simply publishing and uploading again.

Depending on your server, you may need to enter an email address into the From Address field of the Action. You might use email@hidden for example.

You can download the updated Action from the following page:

Simon

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Oops, that example email address was hidden on the website: no-reply @ gti.today

The important thing is that the server must be permitted to deliver emails from the domain of the address entered. Unless you have explicitly denied it, an address on the same domain should be fine.

Simon

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Ok, I updated the action.
The form works, for me.
But my Chinese clients have problems - the form submits, but it never arrives to me.
Heres the error message on my server:
2021-03-16 14:31:45 UTC [apache][core:info] [pid 41133] [client 139.214.33.155:38290] AH00128: File does not exist: /home/u1222-crupyzir5vfo/www/gti.today/public_html/css/googlefont.css, referer: Client intake form Chinese new

Any ideas?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

This is looking for a Google Fonts stylesheet, nothing to do with e-mail, since you can’t use Google fonts in an e-mail.

E-mail errors are going to come from your SMTP host (where your mail server lives) not necessarily the same thing as your Web server.

And finally, SMTP is a fire-and-forget process, utilizing store and forward topology. When your Web server sends an e-mail, the end of that process is success if the e-mail is accepted by the next server in the chain. Depending on your network setup, that might be the mail server for the recipient, but it most likely is not. Mail gets accepted by an intermediate server, which then stores it and forwards it on to the next server in the chain, and so on. At any point along this route, the message may be dropped. So you might never see an error in your logs, yet the mail might not always be delivered.

One of the most frequent problems with mail deliverability is being mis-recognized as Spam. If your Web server is impersonating another server (your server is foo.com, and you are sending mail as if you are bar.com) that is highly likely to be interpreted as bot-generated spam. That’s why Softpress recommends sending mail AS yourself, with a Reply-to header to simplify things for the recipient, so instead of having to dig the e-mail address out of the body of the message, they can just reply and their message will go to the actual sender.

Walter

On Mar 16, 2021, at 11:29 AM, Steve Gunther email@hidden wrote:

Ok, I updated the action.
The form works, for me.
But my Chinese clients have problems - the form submits, but it never arrives to me.
Heres the error message on my server:
2021-03-16 14:31:45 UTC [apache][core:info] [pid 41133] [client 139.214.33.155:38290] AH00128: File does not exist: /home/u1222-crupyzir5vfo/www/gti.today/public_html/css/googlefont.css, referer: Client intake form Chinese new

Any ideas?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Ok, thanks for all that…I am still not sure what to do. I fill in the form, it arrives in my inbox. They fill in the form, and it doesnt, both are consistent. Its not going into my spam, and somehow its getting lost in the works, in ways I still dont understand, or know what I can do. My email is very straightforward - no tricky business with different names. I dunno - Send Form been working fine for many years, but recently had problems, including after I updated the action. Most of them were fixed by my server updating php, but it seems not all the time.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Mail has become quite fraught, with monopolies rising (Gmail) and spam filters becoming much more difficult to overcome. A whole industry has developed with SMTP as a service like SendMail, MailChimp, and others trying to fight the good fight for application developers who want to ensure that their mail is delivered. Some of this mail really is SPAM, which only compounds the problem.

I hope that Softpress builds a form mailer that uses Gmail or another SMTP system, rather than relying on PHP and your Web server to be properly set up as a mail server. This would require users (Xway users and Freeway users) to have an account on one of those systems, and to know how to configure their forms to use it. But the result would be real “long-pants” mail service, which would breeze through the digital checkpoints like a cold war spy.

Walter

On Mar 16, 2021, at 12:06 PM, Steve Gunther email@hidden wrote:

Ok, thanks for all that…I am still not sure what to do. I fill in the form, it arrives in my inbox. They fill in the form, and it doesnt, both are consistent. Its not going into my spam, and somehow its getting lost in the works, in ways I still dont understand, or know what I can do. My email is very straightforward - no tricky business with different names. I dunno - Send Form been working fine for many years, but recently had problems, including after I updated the action. Most of them were fixed by my server updating php, but it seems not all the time.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Hi Steve,

If someone in China fills in the form using only English characters, do you receive the email? If you fill in the form using Chinese characters, do you still receive it?

If you find the publish folder in Finder and look inside “Intake”, you should find FW_SendForm_clientintakeformchinese1.php - you could send that to support(a)softpress.com which might provide a clue as to why it’s happening.

As Walter talked about though, it could be failing in any of multiple places and it could well always be successfully being delivered from your web server but failing afterwards. One possibility is that your email provider could be receiving the email but deciding not to deliver it to your account, e.g. because the spam score is too high.

If you send that file in to support, I’ll take a look to see if there is anything obviously wrong but if not, contacting your web host to confirm whether or not the emails are being sent would probably be the next step.

If they are being sent, it’s most likely your email provider blocking them for some reason, so contacting them would be the step after that.

Simon

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden