Share your favourite resources and links

Bump!


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Walt, the problem with this “bump” is it will continue to move down the list as new subjects get posted. Can we have permanent postings that do not shift as newer posts arrive?


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

On Nov 26, 2007, at 1:28 PM, chuckamuck wrote:

Walt, the problem with this “bump” is it will continue to move down
the list as new subjects get posted. Can we have permanent postings
that do not shift as newer posts arrive?

I have to give that some thought. This bump was a temporary fix, to
be sure. One thing I have been pondering has been something more blog-
like, as a sidecar to the list, that could be a place where more
permanent links could live. Since the demise of the Freeway Wiki, I
have been thinking in the back of my head what sort of content model
would best replace it, while keeping the spammers where they belong.
Any ideas?

Walter


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

First of all, the “quote” button seems to have disappeared from each message.

Second, this is very simplistic suggestion as I am no expert, but how about a routine that simply updates the post date each day? That won’t always put it at top of the list, but it will be near. Normally these kinds of posts are in a separate section at the top of a page, but how you would control that with how this site works I have no clue.

Since the demise of the Freeway Wiki, I have been thinking in the back of my head what sort of content model would best replace it, while keeping the spammers where they belong. Any ideas?


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

On 26 Nov. 2007, 6:02 pm, chuckamuck wrote:

First of all, the “quote” button seems to have disappeared from each message.

I’m not sure where you’re missing the quote button. I see it on every message in this thread.

Walter


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

On 26 Nov. 2007, 6:02 pm, chuckamuck wrote:

Second, this is very simplistic suggestion as I am no expert, but how about a routine that simply updates the post date each day? That won’t always put it at top of the list, but it will be near. Normally these kinds of posts are in a separate section at the top of a page, but how you would control that with how this site works I have no clue.

Well, I could do that, but it’s kind of swimming up-stream. The whole point of the thread order is that it’s based on what is being talked about NOW, and having some threads stay up at the top without being discussed breaks that model.

What I’d prefer is something that is outside the main thrust of the list, something that doesn’t have the time axis to it at all.

Another idea that occurs to me is that we could add tagging to the system. So if you were to tag a message or thread with ‘recommendation’ or ‘design’ or ‘hosting’ or whatever, then you could collate together an orthogonal view of the data, centered around that tag. Have you ever used a tagging or ‘folksononomy’ system before? Magnolia or Delicious are two approaches to this technique.

Walter


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Not one post in this thread has the quote button for me. Other topics appear fine with the quote visible.

I’m not sure where you’re missing the quote button. I see it on every message in this thread.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Hmm, sounds like an interesting idea…but what happens if someone chooses the wrong tag? Could it be edited?

Another idea that occurs to me is that we could add tagging to the system. So if you were to tag a message or thread with ‘recommendation’ or ‘design’ or ‘hosting’ or whatever, then you could collate together an orthogonal view of the data, centered around that tag. Have you ever used a tagging or ‘folksononomy’ system before? Magnolia or Delicious are two approaches to this technique.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

On Nov 26, 2007, at 4:01 PM, chuckamuck wrote:

Hmm, sounds like an interesting idea…but what happens if someone
chooses the wrong tag? Could it be edited?

Another idea that occurs to me is that we could add tagging to the
system. So if you were to tag a message or thread with
‘recommendation’ or ‘design’ or ‘hosting’ or whatever, then you
could collate together an orthogonal view of the data, centered
around that tag. Have you ever used a tagging or ‘folksononomy’
system before? Magnolia or Delicious are two approaches to this
technique.

There’s nothing wrong with a post having a whole bunch of different
tags, if that’s what people find useful as a descriptor.

The idea is that more is better. If you tag something ‘helpful’ and I
tag it ‘informational’, then we would each be able to find it using
the term we find useful. I have built these before, and usually put a
type-ahead field on the tag entry form element, so you see a list of
matching tags as you type. I also have made an admin page where tags
can be merged, for example to normalize spelling.

Walter


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Hey Walter

I don’t get the “Quote” button either on any of the posts in this topic.

Strange - David


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Try again now. I just raised the time limit to give the page a little
more time to load in before adding the quotes.

Walter

On Nov 26, 2007, at 6:55 PM, DeltaDave wrote:

Hey Walter

I don’t get the “Quote” button either on any of the posts in this
topic.

Strange - David


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

And again, now, because I just refactored the whole thing to not rely
on a timer.

Walter

On Nov 26, 2007, at 7:02 PM, Walter Lee Davis wrote:

Try again now. I just raised the time limit to give the page a little
more time to load in before adding the quotes.

Walter

On Nov 26, 2007, at 6:55 PM, DeltaDave wrote:

Hey Walter

I don’t get the “Quote” button either on any of the posts in this
topic.

Strange - David


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Nope -still no q


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Sorry - hit enter before I finished typing that one.

Still no quote button.

D


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

No sooner than I hit enter and they have all appeared.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

But the Quote button isn’t visibly doing anything - I say visibly in case it adds the quote on upload.

D

You are doing something with the preview pane as well aren’t you - it suddenly reappeared.


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Just testing the quote button

Nope nothing in preview


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

On 26 Nov. 2007, 11:36 pm, DeltaDave wrote:

Just testing the quote button

Nope nothing in preview

hmmmmm. That was good and odd. Please try it again now.

Walter


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

The quote has reappeared…but now the input field is narrower than the preview area which were the same size before. Also my width setting here has reverted back to default in this thread. Odd.

On 27 Nov. 2007, 12:49 am, waltd wrote:

On 26 Nov. 2007, 11:36 pm, DeltaDave wrote:

Just testing the quote button

Nope nothing in preview

hmmmmm. That was good and odd. Please try it again now.

Walter


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Please option-reload and shift-reload for good measure. I am not
seeing that problem here. I changed the width and everything stayed
in synch.

Walter

On Nov 26, 2007, at 9:10 PM, chuckamuck wrote:

The quote has reappeared…but now the input field is narrower
than the preview area which were the same size before. Also my
width setting here has reverted back to default in this thread. Odd.

On 27 Nov. 2007, 12:49 am, waltd wrote:

On 26 Nov. 2007, 11:36 pm, DeltaDave wrote:

Just testing the quote button

Nope nothing in preview

hmmmmm. That was good and odd. Please try it again now.

Walter


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options