slideshow/web gallery help

Hi,

I am trying to integrate some more dynamic web albums into my site. I have built my own web galleries in the past using Freeway 4 express [http://www.focusphtotos.com] but I need to revamp my site and have a much more flexible system for regular updates and changes to galleries/albums.

What I really, really want to be able to do is to create an Album in Aperture and then just drag the album on to an area of the web page to create a slide show, just as I can with Apple’s iWeb - which as far as I can see is genius.

I am not interested in mucking bout with Flash, I know nothing about code (that’s why I chose Freeway) and although I have looked at all sorts of options like Bananalbum and Jalbum and that stuff, I cannot seem to find any thing that will just work as elegantly as the album/gallery/slide show creator in iWeb.

That said if someone can point me to a step by step how to integrate a Bananalbum (generated direct from Aperture with a flash exporter plugin) please let me know what I have to do. (though I imagine it will involve a certain amount of aggravation which I am very keen to avoid).

Can somepone who knows about this stuff please let me know what I need to do as I am tried of surfing the net and getting no where.

Using Freeway Pro 5.xx btw

Thanks
Andy

tutorials mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Check this out:

http://www.coastalrugs.com/Actions/fadingslideshow.html

This is as easy as drawing a box to your image sizes, applying the action to the box, and selecting the folder of images in your Actions palette.

Easy alternative.

tutorials mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Dan,

Thanks but this is not at all what I am after. What I am looking for is something that integrates seemlessly with Aperture, just as the gallery/slideshow option does in iWeb.

In iWeb I can simply grab a handful of images, slide them on to the slide show area in iWeb and the business gets done for me. The viewer can then select from thumbs or select a slideshow. It really is very neat. Here is an example from another photog’s site whcih I think has been done in iWeb…

[http://www.heatherperryphoto.com/Heather_Perry_Photography/Galleries/Pages/Confluence.html#1]

Why don;t I use iWeb I hear you ask? Well i may do, but I am not convinced by issues like meta tagging in iWeb, flexibility of menus etc…Every page seems to need a default “theme” master page as well whcih is a bit pants. Also I don’t think you can publish to your own hosting service directly form the app…

Anyway, any more input would be appreciated.

Andy

tutorials mailing list
email@hidden

I have been where you’re at - last year i battled the same things in preparation for starting my photography business. My end result now is (after dumping banalbum and jalbum and other hacks of my own) using Slideshow Pro and the Director. It has a stand alone app or you can set your slideshow specs in Flash CS3 if you have. WAIT - I have no clue how to use Flash CS3 and I am making my own slideshows. Honest. I discover a few things along the way with each attempt. This procedure is much more work than I anticipated, BUT it allows me flexibility to manipulate ONE image and not the whole slideshow. I can activate or deactive ONE image, ONE album, or ONE entire gallery if I want. Flexibility. I am trying to find out now how to add music…

That’s my two cents from someone who’s been there - and my knowledge of all this tech-y stuff is limited, but I press to teach myself.

On Sep 7, 2008, at 3:04 AM, Andy Johnstone wrote:

Hi,

I am trying to integrate some more dynamic web albums into my site. I have built my own web galleries in the past using Freeway 4 express [http://www.focusphtotos.com] but I need to revamp my site and have a much more flexible system for regular updates and changes to galleries/albums.

What I really, really want to be able to do is to create an Album in Aperture and then just drag the album on to an area of the web page to create a slide show, just as I can with Apple’s iWeb - which as far as I can see is genius.

I am not interested in mucking bout with Flash, I know nothing about code (that’s why I chose Freeway) and although I have looked at all sorts of options like Bananalbum and Jalbum and that stuff, I cannot seem to find any thing that will just work as elegantly as the album/gallery/slide show creator in iWeb.

That said if someone can point me to a step by step how to integrate a Bananalbum (generated direct from Aperture with a flash exporter plugin) please let me know what I have to do. (though I imagine it will involve a certain amount of aggravation which I am very keen to avoid).

Can somepone who knows about this stuff please let me know what I need to do as I am tried of surfing the net and getting no where.

Using Freeway Pro 5.xx btw

Thanks
Andy

tutorials mailing list
email@hidden

Big fan of slideshowpro and director. The lightroom plugin is fantastic.

However, as far as a drag and drop from Aperture or some kind of slideshow wizard, I can’t think of anything that would do that as of right now. Apple products tend to work within each other and any 3rd party software doesn’t always have that luxury.

This evening I’ll mess around with Jalbum and Bananalbum and see if I can come up with a solution to use either of them in Freeway.

tutorials mailing list
email@hidden

I used bananalbum on a site - I just drag/drop the swf file that was created into a HTML box in FWPro. The same with Jalbum too. The reason I stopped using them (you can use banalbum from Aperture via the FlashExport plugin if the limited options there suit your needs) was they were never consistent and I couldnt figure out how to make changes without re-publishing things all over again. Often I was messing something up when I didnt even change anything.

Again, the reason I disliked using these is I would have a client (or myself) ask for one picture to be add or deleted, or the order changed. That was a nightmare to do ALL over again from any standpoint. That was the driving factor that lead me into using Slideshow Pro/Director hand-in-hand. First I create what the slideshow LOOKS like - and then manipulate the content separately. Easy for future updates and additions.

On Sep 7, 2008, at 4:41 PM, Dan J wrote:

Big fan of slideshowpro and director. The lightroom plugin is fantastic.

However, as far as a drag and drop from Aperture or some kind of slideshow wizard, I can’t think of anything that would do that as of right now. Apple products tend to work within each other and any 3rd party software doesn’t always have that luxury.

This evening I’ll mess around with Jalbum and Bananalbum and see if I can come up with a solution to use either of them in Freeway.

tutorials mailing list
email@hidden

I did notice that the plugin for Aperture for the two “software” packages was stopped in development and was an “as-is” product. I had no problem with the output of Jalbum, but the styling was bad for fonts and color scheme options, but I’m sure I could whip out a CSS editor and clean it up.

The only way I saw working this into Freeway would be to use an IFRAME and have the content load in there so in a sense there’d be a Freeway-based overlay loading the Jalbum page underneath it. Kind of like Photoshop in the way it handles layers. If you’re not keen to Flash I still think you’d find SSP easy to understand.

I could make a short video for you on how easy it all is if you’d like.

tutorials mailing list
email@hidden

Beatrice, Dan,

Thank you both for your input.

B’s Slideshow/Director solution sounds like it would be a lot of hassle which is exactly what I am trying to avoid! Apart from anythigng else, why do I want to have to buy more software for this job? How much is Director (and I assume I am talking about Macromind Director…?) All the flexibility that B seems to think she has achieved in Slideshow, is built right in to the the slideshow option in iWeb and works “righ out the box”. If I want to change a slide show, delete or add an image, I just go back to the editor, add/delete/juggle the running order in my page on iWeb and the rest is done for me. I am working with the images direct form my Aperture Archive too, so any changes I have made to the image can be altered in iWeb in seconds.

I understand the comments about not wanting to upload the whole slideshow or site every time you make a change, but I guess this does not really matter since the upload could be whirring away in the background while I get on with something else. Perhaps iWeb uploads incrementally like Freeway? Ie. Only the files that have changed get replaced on the server? Dunno.

Frankly this problem has me stumped. I have shelled out for Freeway Pro, I like the app and I like its style. It was a breeze to use compared to using Dreamweaver, But looking at it from a user’s POV, and from a photographer’s Freeway has all the right customisable design flexibility about it, but this slideshow thing is a gaping hole in it’s armour which iWeb saunters right through, licking an ice cream as it goes. Surely someone in the “clever people” department at Softpress can develop a bit of code to emulate this very clever slide show trick in iWeb?

Andy

tutorials mailing list
email@hidden

Andy, the Slideshow Pro/Director are both from the same company and I paid $50 roughly for the combo. Director resides on your server and allows the individual edits on photos, albums, and galleries as I mentioned. This was a low cost means to an end for my situation, but your situation may feel different. I thought Freeway Pro was going to be my once-for-all solution for my photography website. It’s not (in my limited capacity to do anything on the web) for now. So I have invested in Showit Sites to showcase the front side of my website and I use Freeway Pro in combo with Slideshow Pro to make my client proof sites and blog template.

I see now from your explanation that you’re really wanting to get that iWeb functionality into Freeway Pro. I full realize that iWeb does an amazing slideshow - I just needed something a bit different. I dont know for sure, but iframes might be an option in Freeway Pro (to get that iWeb page embedded in it).

I am finding I have to use whatever apps I can to get the job done. I wish I knew all the Adobe products like the back of my hand, but its a level I cannot attain any time soon. Freeway Pro and the side apps I use are getting the job done… and changes come as my knowledge increases.

On Sep 8, 2008, at 3:26 AM, Andy Johnstone wrote:

Beatrice, Dan,

Thank you both for your input.

B’s Slideshow/Director solution sounds like it would be a lot of hassle which is exactly what I am trying to avoid! Apart from anythigng else, why do I want to have to buy more software for this job? How much is Director (and I assume I am talking about Macromind Director…?) All the flexibility that B seems to think she has achieved in Slideshow, is built right in to the the slideshow option in iWeb and works “righ out the box”. If I want to change a slide show, delete or add an image, I just go back to the editor, add/delete/juggle the running order in my page on iWeb and the rest is done for me. I am working with the images direct form my Aperture Archive too, so any changes I have made to the image can be altered in iWeb in seconds.

I understand the comments about not wanting to upload the whole slideshow or site every time you make a change, but I guess this does not really matter since the upload could be whirring away in the background while I get on with something else. Perhaps iWeb uploads incrementally like Freeway? Ie. Only the files that have changed get replaced on the server? Dunno.

Frankly this problem has me stumped. I have shelled out for Freeway Pro, I like the app and I like its style. It was a breeze to use compared to using Dreamweaver, But looking at it from a user’s POV, and from a photographer’s Freeway has all the right customisable design flexibility about it, but this slideshow thing is a gaping hole in it’s armour which iWeb saunters right through, licking an ice cream as it goes. Surely someone in the “clever people” department at Softpress can develop a bit of code to emulate this very clever slide show trick in iWeb?

Andy

B,

Can you please send me a link to your site so that I can see what you’re talking about?

thx

A

tutorials mailing list
email@hidden