SOFTPRESS/FREEWAY IS BACK.. like a Phoenix rising from the ashes

Hi Max,

thanks for your words. If you don’t mind, I allow me to add some things:

###The community

Well - what to say. I have to admit, that some of my comments are “provoking” so I shouldn’t wonder much about some of the hefty reactions coming back. I did it - and I have to take it as is.

###The product

I remember a sentence you said quite often which sounds something like this:
“I know both. Creating by hand and using FreewayPro. But there is nothing beating the speed, wrapping things up in FreewayPro.”

I TOTALLY agreed. Hand-coding is slow and confusingly - especially by growing complexity of your grid.

But the last half year I started to question this - putting Freeway on the test bench. NOT by seeking an alternative app - you won’t find anything comparable anyway. I tried to strengthen my skills. Whether for future use or even to bring this knowledge back into Freeway.

And I have to admit, that I found a way being much more precise, quicker and more modern. The key is, that I wrote my own grid-system. It’s certainly not better than any existent but it’s mine. It’s based on theGrid I taught my subscribers in theLounge. I probably should set up a lil video screencast on it - just to avoid too much lines of word on it.

The downside? It’s not really to transfer into Freeway’s current workspace. Because it’s build on dynamics not on static. It’s build on box-sizing: border-box and it’s build on display:flex.

###The developer

I certainly am happy that FreewayPro is back, somehow. I can’t help the community discussing the advantage of positioning things absolute anymore. And I’m not willed picking up all this redundant discussions about things being in fashion years ago.

But I instantly hope, that the developers are this time INCLUDE the expertise of the contributors and not giving them the ongoing feeling being unheard.

All I can offer is:

ASK us or ask me. Ask about the things we figured out during the last half year. Create something new and do it under the term of progressive enhancement to enrich the app. Don’t mind much about a re-writing of the existing. Keep it installable as is - but think new. We have been forced to do - I expect nothing less from you.

Certainly I can’t speak for the rest though, but I’m here.

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at: