Some FONT stuff style questions (proposals)

Hi guys,

currently I’m wrapping my head on best to use styles in Freeway (and naturally to understand some things behind). This all is ending up in an article (and screencasts) which I currently create for the community.

Here are some things where I think my drugs are not strong enough:

Name Styles

Once created e.g mynamestyle and applied to a <p> it inserts a <span class="mynamestyle"> which is basically OK. What sucks is the matter of fact, that I’m restricted to the naming convention so here is my question:

Is there semantically spoken a difference between my-name-style and mynamestyle? (I’d prefer version 1)

FONT sets

I know, I know - all Font-faces I want to use require a new Font-set (Regular, Bold, Italic). Unfortunately I’m lazy - … very lazy. So I basically create only a single Font-set. Each style I use I add the font-weight via extended dialogue (font-weight:400, font-weight 700, font-weight: 400italic). Using this method, there is only one small disadvantage:

Preview during construction. This is OK for me cause the truth is anyway in the browser.

But then I saw the FONT “graphic” drop-down in the styles palette and thought hmmmm - why not set there the “preview” for my FONT. But I had to realize quick, that this is only for graphic-text. So my question here:

Using graphic text should be penalized (hmm no - that’s not what I wanted to ask).

Wouldn’t it be much trickier to exactly use this “graphic” thing to preview/display HTML text instead of setting a super-duper global one preview in the Font-styles dialogue?

This is no kind of critiques cause everything works well, and I know that I’m not needed for any kind of app proposals but the basic text handling doesn’t fit in these (modern) days anymore.

Content is king and text IS content. And once a day, google will have lots’a fun with rating, classifying and listing Freeway generated pages (… as another list some days ago already revealed).

It’s time to remove some options in inspector and substitute it by a more safe and secure way to create proper styles.

Furthermore I’d like to prevent myself from writing something critical in my articles.

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

On May 13, 2014, at 4:12 AM, Thomas Kimmich wrote:

Hi guys,

currently I’m wrapping my head on best to use styles in Freeway (and naturally to understand some things behind). This all is ending up in an article (and screencasts) which I currently create for the community.

Here are some things where I think my drugs are not strong enough:

Name Styles

Once created e.g mynamestyle and applied to a <p> it inserts a <span class="mynamestyle"> which is basically OK. What sucks is the matter of fact, that I’m restricted to the naming convention so here is my question:

Is there semantically spoken a difference between my-name-style and mynamestyle? (I’d prefer version 1)

If you are letting Freeway run free here (not doing anything fancy with the Style editor) then the only way to get it to apply the class to the paragraph is to be sure that there is a paragraph-level style attribute (leading, space-after, something else from the Paragraph Style picker) in that style. If all you have is color, for example, then Freeway will always use the span approach, which is fairly awful, I agree.

As far as the naming goes, the names of your CSS styles do not have any semantic importance, they are only for your convenience. The browser will not care if they are descriptive or are single characters of text, and search engines do not care about the contents of tags at all – only the semantic tree they represent (so basically just the tag name itself) and the actual text bounded by them.

FONT sets

I know, I know - all Font-faces I want to use require a new Font-set (Regular, Bold, Italic). Unfortunately I’m lazy - … very lazy. So I basically create only a single Font-set. Each style I use I add the font-weight via extended dialogue (font-weight:400, font-weight 700, font-weight: 400italic). Using this method, there is only one small disadvantage:

Preview during construction. This is OK for me cause the truth is anyway in the browser.

But then I saw the FONT “graphic” drop-down in the styles palette and thought hmmmm - why not set there the “preview” for my FONT. But I had to realize quick, that this is only for graphic-text. So my question here:

Using graphic text should be penalized (hmm no - that’s not what I wanted to ask).

Wouldn’t it be much trickier to exactly use this “graphic” thing to preview/display HTML text instead of setting a super-duper global one preview in the Font-styles dialogue?

This is no kind of critiques cause everything works well, and I know that I’m not needed for any kind of app proposals but the basic text handling doesn’t fit in these (modern) days anymore.

Agreed.

Content is king and text IS content. And once a day, google will have lots’a fun with rating, classifying and listing Freeway generated pages (… as another list some days ago already revealed).

It’s time to remove some options in inspector and substitute it by a more safe and secure way to create proper styles.

It would be nice if Freeway took a fresh look at the way fonts are handled, in a lot of ways. Macaw has a very neat integration with Web fonts. You specify one and it just works, in both the design view and the published page. I suspect that’s made easier by the fact that Macaw is WebKit all the way through.

Walter

Furthermore I’d like to prevent myself from writing something critical in my articles.

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden