Spammer App -- The next SoftPress App!

Are the blind leading the blind here or does the exhibited basic ignorance run this rampant among you?

Truly amazing. The mindset of this group seems to not warrant pointing out the obvious or seeking for improvement. Even through absurdity the Freeway crowd blindly clings together holding dearly to antiquated nostalgia. Maybe you are all just made for this mess and should just be left to wallow in it. Each holding dear to your false imaginations of glandular surrounding FreewayTalk and seemingly so much more.

Sadly, the core mindset of the Freeway users, are the bigger problem than the spammers themselves.

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

The things happening in FWT are not necessarily to be called “Spam”. To my personal understanding, all that happens is the most ridiculous legal campaign ever created called “Backlinks”. You probably know the abuse of keywords? This is pretty much the same - just 10 years after.

Have you ever wondered how to make your brave local baker more relevant? I mean - to whom the f**k would you link him forth and back?

The answer is pretty simple: Seek for a forum (or talk) and speak about your baker. Something like “Finished my latest project - do you like pretzels?”

Now the problem and why I agree to the OP: This falls back on the entire audience and requires moderation. How to moderate FWT? No chance at all. It’s a mailing list. You can’t fire out or withdraw single comments in a bigger talk. You can either fire out the user at all or live with the current result.

You certainly recognized it: I backlinked as well. Now you can fire me and 2.5k comments will be deleted all the dialogues included. Or you can set up a discussion on a more civilized way - starting by the OP, going on with all commenters. Well - you may like “the first that comes along_user” or not but in one thing I agree:

Ignoring is not the solution!

Cheers

Thomas

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden

Thomas, finally a logical and sensible voice enters amidst the crowd.

Nice to know evidently a few remain with open eyes, sound minds and the ability to thoughtfully reason looking forward with expectation and demand of superior modern features and viable alternatives.

Thank you for having the courage and forethought to not blindly accept the broken normalcy and complacency here at FreewayTalk and desire better things for yourself and the common good of the entire Softpress community.

Imagine if this was instead the mindset of the majority of users, and what that could by contrast yield. Its good to know a few dare too not willingly accept normal, when they find it’s broken or no longer relevant.

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden

Hi,

Softpress does not encourage or support spammers. I haven’t seen this thread previously because I wasn’t subscribed to the Off Topic list, but I’ve noticed a small amount of spam on the main FreewayTalk list. I mark it as spam and ignore it.

If there are things that we can do to discourage spam, we’re happy to listen to suggestions. I think Walter is doing his best, and he certainly does a great job keeping these lists running.

I agree that spam is annoying!

Jeremy

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden

… but I’ve noticed a small amount of spam on the main FreewayTalk list. I mark it as spam and ignore it.

Whatever you put into your tea, do less! Staying abroad, clean your carpets, paint your walls, playing slot-machines or flash games are just a few? I’m not using the mail functionality - I’m watching the web interface. And I recognize this although I’m not an active Freeway user anymore.

But as a technical approach, one thing to do is

<a href="https://www.playflashgamesorcleanmycarpet.html" rel="nofollow">sign in</a>

to make “Spam or Backlinks” less attractive.

Cheers

Thomas

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Thanks Thomas - there does seem to be more spam on the Off Topic list than on the main list, and it’s probably more annoying with the web interface. Softpress is looking into this.

Jeremy

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks for getting involved Jeremy.

————-

nofollow would allow most search engines to not apply ranking benefits to spammers posted links. However it would not cease spammers from joining and posting links and general garbage information, or preventing possible naive click throughs of links. Unless they look at analytics and realize no benefit is being made, what would cease them from posting? The spam may be perceived more prevalent in Off Topic, but in Freeway Talk and elsewhere the spammers just get more discrete and less blatant than they do here. But it abounds everywhere, via links in posts or user posts made just to expose a footer link, garbage posts, etc., (I’m not speaking of actual users posting links or having links in footers).

————-

I previously suggested and discussed about switching to something more modern like Discourse in a few threads but was met with nothing but resistance to change and the lack of desire for moving forward regardless of benefits.

Seen Here:

Also here:

And here:
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk (towards the bottom)

Etc.,

Beyond replacing and improving the core features people already enjoy about FreewayTalk, something like Discourse could also add so many other additional benefits for Softpress users and the Softpress image/brand as a whole. Much like the FreewayPro App previously, the time for applying bandaids and patches to FreewayTalk has come to a point of benefit vs future value and moving into the future beckons desperately by necessity. In those few threads I discussed some of the many benefits, but simply by reviewing Discourse further it should be self evident what all it could offer the community and Softpress.

It would also aid in various ways to stop, report, flag, prevent spam. Or additionally you can use things like the Discourse Akismet Plugin etc., for complete eradication upfront of spam activity. In so many ways it would offer a platform thats scaleable and feature rich to better meet the needs of users in todays marketplace and socially driven arena.

Forgive me for suggesting and desiring improvements that would benefit all users and the Softpress brand as a whole. I certainly meant no harm in doing so but never would have imagined being met with such staunch resistance and contempt towards the thought of improving and moving forward to better things. As a whole I can’t comprehend why change is so desperately sought to be avoided here by so many people.

Thanks again

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks for these suggestions. I think Walter is looking into this. It’s interesting that you mention Discourse, because Apple said (earlier this year) that they’re planning to move the Swift discussion lists over to using this. They also said that they want people to be able to continue to participate through email, which is apparently supported by Discourse.

https://lists.swift.org/pipermail/swift-evolution/Week-of-Mon-20170206/031657.html

That was in February though - maybe they’re waiting for improvements to Discourse before they go ahead?

Spam seems like is is an increasing problem with this particular forum (OffTopic) but it’s also getting onto the main forum.

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden

I can’t speak for Apple’s reasoning.

But email works fine already with Discourse: Feed, Reply and Post, Monthly Updates, etc. Just pick a forum that uses Discourse and see it first hand yourself, would perhaps be the best way.

Discourse also offers many other modern features:

Enough benefit, that having to learn new things would be worth it for the Softpress brand and its users.

Anything is better than representing Softpress with all this SPAM, especially as Softpress tries to make a comeback and project a “back in business” impression. Discourse would help solve that concerning the forum and provide a modern platform to represent Softpress and its users.

By contrast, I doubt Apple is concerned with their brand regarding the Swift Forum, they have done ok since almost going out of business in the mid 1990’s and never closed there doors. :wink:

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden

On 29 Nov 2017, 9:41 pm, Jeremy Hughes wrote:

Spam seems like is is an increasing problem with this particular forum (OffTopic) but it’s also getting onto the main forum.

Perhaps you noticed, but the spammers appear to no longer worry about being discreet, now freely starting to post in the main Freeway section, etc.,

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden

On 15 Nov 2017, 5:14 pm, FreewayPro_User wrote:

Any thoughts by any of the current freewaytalk registered spammers

A bit disappointed they wont actually join in here however. :wink:

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden

I had to go back 5 pages of pagination to find this thread amidst, all the spam threads and posts.

Spam in a thread about Delta Dave passing away - https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/thread/view/173130

When does enough become enough? This is pathetic.

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden

Nothing else to add!!! It’s degrading - and I feel ashamed being part of this so many years.

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden

On 23 Dec 2017, at 1:12, Thomas Kimmich wrote:

Nothing else to add!!! It’s degrading - and I feel ashamed being
part of this so many years.

I thought ‘loadlearn’ had obliquely admitted to being a prime
spammer. He/she/it seems to have little other reason for being here.

David

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden

@ “David Ledger”,

Its amazing given the sensitive subject matter nature of Delta Dave passing away, that you would feel its “OK” for spammers to spam that thread.

Your complete ignorance regarding this, is worse than the spammers whom did so. The fact that you have no issue with it speaks volumes regarding your personal character.

Perhaps think on that for a minute before you respond with more drivel. Your ignorance and insensitivity is beyond astonishing.

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden

Happy now? You should be. Walter and Richard (Softpress) have done a great job and the place is cleaned up. No one thought the spam was okay, but no one in their right mind thought that anyone should have fixed it for free, either. (At least, I’m guessing Walter got paid for what he implemented. He should have been compensated for that project!)

Have a Great and Spam-free New Year!

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden