Text Link Styles

Hello all, as you can probably tell by the amount of questions I’m posting at the moment I have a few sites on the go.

Is anyone else having problems in FW5 with text link styles?

So far I’ve tried Tim Plumb’s Non Underlined Links, Text Link Style, Link Colour and styles via the inspector palette and it’s all very hit and miss.

Basically I can get the link colour fine, but it has an underline, and when I hover it doesn’t change colour.

Does anyone think that it would help if I made permanent styles in the text palette and applied them? In which case how do I apply the hover style?

Thanks
Trev

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

I’m ‘bumping’ this to see if anyone has any suggestions…
On 6 Aug 2008, at 08:59, Trevreav wrote:

Hello all, as you can probably tell by the amount of questions I’m
posting at the moment I have a few sites on the go.

Is anyone else having problems in FW5 with text link styles?

So far I’ve tried Tim Plumb’s Non Underlined Links, Text Link
Style, Link Colour and styles via the inspector palette and it’s
all very hit and miss.

Basically I can get the link colour fine, but it has an underline,
and when I hover it doesn’t change colour.

Does anyone think that it would help if I made permanent styles in
the text palette and applied them? In which case how do I apply the
hover style?

Thanks
Trev

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I think you may be trying too hard. All of those Actions were necessary when Freeway didn’t understand this (v4 and previous) but it’s built in at the core now. Try starting over with a new, blank document. (Just until you get the hang of the “new” method for styling links, mind you.)

Make some HTML text styles that include the effect you want to see in your links. Name them descriptively so you don’t have to guess between style23 and style43 later. Make a separate style for regular links, hover, active and visited, or just make a link and a hover style if you like.

Now click on the pasteboard, so that nothing is selected. This is how you get at the link styles for the entire page. Click on the paintbrush tab on the Inspector, and scroll down to the Links area. (Open it if it’s hidden.) If you only want to have specially colored links, and basic control of underlining, then you can just use the basic controls. But if you want to have color backgrounds on your links, borders around them rather than underlines, etc., then you need to click the (more) button at the bottom of the Inspector segment. There you will have access to all the tweaky control you might want. And there you can choose the individual styles you created earlier for each of the four states of a link.

Now where this gets really interesting is that you have the same exact level of control for each HTML object on the page. So you could have a sidebar with completely different-styled links and a main body with the regular page-level links, and all just by clicking on the parent object of your sidebar and applying these same instructions.

Walter

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Great explanation thanks Walter.

I ‘think’ that’s what I did, but I can’t be sure. I started getting frustrated, downloading actions, trying styles and headbutting the monitor, so I can’t be 100% sure of exactly what I did!

I’ll not be able to get back to the website until next week, but look forward (with great trepidation) to giving it a go. I’ll report back hopefully early next week.

Thanks again.

Trev

On 7 Aug 2008, at 14:51, waltd wrote:

I think you may be trying too hard. All of those Actions were necessary when Freeway didn’t understand this (v4 and previous) but it’s built in at the core now. Try starting over with a new, blank document. (Just until you get the hang of the “new” method for styling links, mind you.)

Make some HTML text styles that include the effect you want to see in your links. Name them descriptively so you don’t have to guess between style23 and style43 later. Make a separate style for regular links, hover, active and visited, or just make a link and a hover style if you like.

Now click on the pasteboard, so that nothing is selected. This is how you get at the link styles for the entire page. Click on the paintbrush tab on the Inspector, and scroll down to the Links area. (Open it if it’s hidden.) If you only want to have specially colored links, and basic control of underlining, then you can just use the basic controls. But if you want to have color backgrounds on your links, borders around them rather than underlines, etc., then you need to click the (more) button at the bottom of the Inspector segment. There you will have access to all the tweaky control you might want. And there you can choose the individual styles you created earlier for each of the four states of a link.

Now where this gets really interesting is that you have the same exact level of control for each HTML object on the page. So you could have a sidebar with completely different-styled links and a main body with the regular page-level links, and all just by clicking on the parent object of your sidebar and applying these same instructions.

Walter, I did as you suggested and still no joy.

I have contacted SoftPress concerning this and had an answer which
related to me NOT having a style set for visited or active, only for
normal and hover, and the links were inheriting the browser default
of purple/blue.

The underline is still a mystery though and I have now sent the test
file off to Softpress.

I think you may be trying too hard. All of those Actions were
necessary when Freeway didn’t understand this (v4 and previous)
but it’s built in at the core now. Try starting over with a new,
blank document. (Just until you get the hang of the “new” method
for styling links, mind you.)

Make some HTML text styles that include the effect you want to see
in your links. Name them descriptively so you don’t have to guess
between style23 and style43 later. Make a separate style for
regular links, hover, active and visited, or just make a link and
a hover style if you like.

Now click on the pasteboard, so that nothing is selected. This is
how you get at the link styles for the entire page. Click on the
paintbrush tab on the Inspector, and scroll down to the Links
area. (Open it if it’s hidden.) If you only want to have specially
colored links, and basic control of underlining, then you can just
use the basic controls. But if you want to have color backgrounds
on your links, borders around them rather than underlines, etc.,
then you need to click the (more) button at the bottom of the
Inspector segment. There you will have access to all the tweaky
control you might want. And there you can choose the individual
styles you created earlier for each of the four states of a link.

Now where this gets really interesting is that you have the same
exact level of control for each HTML object on the page. So you
could have a sidebar with completely different-styled links and a
main body with the regular page-level links, and all just by
clicking on the parent object of your sidebar and applying these
same instructions.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden