Thanks for Xway, so far it seems easier to me than Freeway was,

I’m not a pro building websites. I did two from Freeway and backed off.
It’s time for me to rework both of them and I would like to use Xway.

Awaiting the import feature. But in the meantime I would like to recreate them from scratch.

1. Can I copy elements from one Website(document) to another ? Such as a Button like Facebook navigation button?
  2. Will I be able to use the site I build in the beta with the Retail version moving forward?
  3. Can I add a blog hosted somewhere else? And is that a copy and past of referring code to the location of the blog?

Also from the “novice I’m trying to learn perspective”:
If I have a current godaddy site built or Freeway build but hosted on godaddy, can I add new pages created in Xway to the Godaddy hosted sites?
I get there needs to be navigation pointed from the original build to the new pages, but can I ftp a page into godaddy folders and just add a link from within the Godaddy freeway side to connect them?
Thanks to all

I can’t answer your other questions, but this one is straightforward:

On Jun 27, 2020, at 4:13 PM, jay farber via groups.io jfmusic=email@hidden wrote:

If I have a current godaddy site built or Freeway build but hosted on godaddy, can I add new pages created in Xway to the Godaddy hosted sites?
I get there needs to be navigation pointed from the original build to the new pages, but can I ftp a page into godaddy folders and just add a link from within the Godaddy freeway side to connect them?

What I would do is create a directory (folder) on your server where your new Xway site can live, and then in Freeway, link into that folder to connect the two. Use Transmit or Fetch to upload the Xway site contents into that folder on your host.

In Xway (as in Freeway) the first page you create in a site or subfolder within a site will be named index.html. Take advantage of that by creating your link in Freeway to /folder_name (whatever you called it). In Xway, create your link back to the main site by using the special URL ../. Both of these URLs get created manually, using the Edit / Hyperlink dialog in Freeway and the Text / Link dialog in Xway. Use the External option in either.

By creating the links in this manner (relative addresses) you take away any of the complexity, and don’t have to worry about what happens if your Xway micro-site changes in any way. Presumably it will always have a “home” page that will display when the folder name is entered into a URL.

(Obligatory style note: if you are reading this message in Mail, the “back-tick” characters I typed above are there to provide Markdown syntax highlighting to the links. They are not part of the link itself.)

Hope this helps,

Walter

Thanks I will give it a go.
Be Safe

On Jun 28, 2020, at 8:55 AM, Walter Lee Davis email@hidden wrote:

I can’t answer your other questions, but this one is straightforward:

On Jun 27, 2020, at 4:13 PM, jay farber via groups.io jfmusic=email@hidden wrote:

What I would do is create a directory (folder) on your server where your new Xway site can live, and then in Freeway, link into that folder to connect the two. Use Transmit or Fetch to upload the Xway site contents into that folder on your host.

In Xway (as in Freeway) the first page you create in a site or subfolder within a site will be named index.html. Take advantage of that by creating your link in Freeway to /folder_name (whatever you called it). In Xway, create your link back to the main site by using the special URL ../. Both of these URLs get created manually, using the Edit / Hyperlink dialog in Freeway and the Text / Link dialog in Xway. Use the External option in either.

By creating the links in this manner (relative addresses) you take away any of the complexity, and don’t have to worry about what happens if your Xway micro-site changes in any way. Presumably it will always have a “home” page that will display when the folder name is entered into a URL.

(Obligatory style note: if you are reading this message in Mail, the “back-tick” characters I typed above are there to provide Markdown syntax highlighting to the links. They are not part of the link itself.)

Hope this helps,

Walter

Hi Jay,

1. Can I copy elements from one Website(document) to another ? Such as a Button like Facebook navigation button?

You can paste plain text and images into Xway. That allows you to paste text from a Freeway document. I don’t think it’s possible to paste images from Freeway into Xway (or into any other program, as far as I can see), but you can copy/paste images from a web browser, or you can reimport the original images.

1. Will I be able to use the site I build in the beta with the Retail version moving forward?

Yes. Newer versions of Xway can open documents from older versions.

1. Can I add a blog hosted somewhere else? And is that a copy and past of referring code to the location of the blog?

I think you could use an iframe to do this. Xway also allows you to add code directly, through markup items and other forms of markup - similar to Freeway, but with a few more options.

A good place to start is by working through the step-by-step tutorial (if you haven’t done so already).

Jeremy