Unable to copy and paste structural elements

I see that you can copy and paste inline text. But I’m unable to copy and paste structural elements (divs). Is that intentional, work in progress, or have I missed something here?

David Owen

Sorry, I answered this in a different thread, but the answer is:

It’s work in progress.

From the Xway User Guide (page 27): “Xway currently has limited support for copying and pasting, but you can paste text into boxes. Pasted text is imported as plain text.”

Jeremy

As an addition to David’s post, it’s not possible to reorder elements on a page. For example, I started a new file and forgot to put a navigation box at the top. When I insert a new box it adds it at the bottom of the page. But I can’t move it to the top of the page. Will it be possible to reorder elements? Thanks.

Hi Richard,

Will it be possible to reorder elements?

Yes, absolutely!

Jeremy

Thanks, Jeremy. I’ll confess that in my first go-around in the tutorial Xway feels much more constraining than Freeway. I know this is the first version but I’m hoping that the finished version will have much more of the flexibility that we’ve been accustomed to in Freeway, which made it such a useful tool that is a pleasure to use.

Hi Richard,

I’ll confess that in my first go-around in the tutorial Xway feels much more constraining than Freeway. I know this is the first version but I’m hoping that the finished version will have much more of the flexibility that we’ve been accustomed to in Freeway, which made it such a useful tool that is a pleasure to use.

I don’t disagree. There are many features that we haven’t implemented yet, and you’re comparing a program that is at version 0.1 (after less than two years of development) with a program that got to 7.1.4 (after over twenty years of development).

On the other hand, Xway makes it much easier to create flexible web sites that work on different devices. You can do this in Freeway, but it’s difficult and buggy (Freeway crashes easily when you try to use inflow items).

There are also areas where Xway has more functionality (already) than Freeway ever did. You can’t set a font weight in Freeway (apart from Bold) without using Extended Properties. You can’t use web fonts without pasting into a markup dialog. You can’t use z-index without going through Extended Attributions. You can’t link to a file without using an Action to do this. Future versions of Xway will have other features that never made it into Freeway, while also adding features that Freeway currently has better support for.

Jeremy

Got it. I’m thrilled you’ve released Xway 0.1 and can’t wait till you add more features.

One question: how would you like us to report bugs so we can help you?

Thanks.

Hi Richard,

One question: how would you like us to report bugs so we can help you?

The best way to report bugs is to provide a numbered series of steps in the following format:

1. Do this
  2. Do that
  3. Something unexpected happens

[We use >> to indicate something that happens as opposed to something that is done.]

This might be followed or preceded by a general explanation of what you expect to happen vs. what actually happens.

The important thing is to have a series of steps that will reproduce the bug. It’s difficult for us to fix bugs that we can’t reproduce.

There can be any number of steps, but shorter steps are better (wherever possible). It’s always good to ask whether a particular step is necessary.

If you report bugs (with steps) here on Xway Talk, we will log them and attempt to fix them in the next beta.

Jeremy

1. Do this
  2. Do that
  3. Something unexpected happens

Here’s an actual bug that is on my list:

XW-214 Image scaled wrongly when width is increased

1. Insert a (small-ish) image
  2. Give it a width
  3. Increase the width until it is larger than the native width
  4. Xway doesn’t scale the height in proportion to the width (contrast what happens in browsers).

Jeremy