Upcoming News re Freeway

Haven’t checked-in in a while…nice to find this update! In the meantime, I’ve been tinkering with PineGrow Pro (bought it) and CoffeeCup (until the trial ran out).

Would like to take this Freeway new development opportunity to express my top “wish list” items. First, I’ll voice some of my likes and dislikes of Pinegrow and CC to put them in context:

I like Pinegrow for the following reasons: Can open up other sites from any program (no need to rebuild), brings in the style sheets, etc. (so far, perfectly!). The latest version includes a built-in CMS that is very easy to apply to any element that you would want clients to be able to edit themselves. (I should add that Muse now has a built-in CMS, albeit limited) that also enables the desktop file to automatically update to include any in-browser changes.) I also like that Pinegrove is a combination of visual and coding. I’m not an expert coder by any means, but I like that I can easily access it when I want or need to. On the flip-side, while Pinegrove has much flexibility, it also has a big learning curve (I’m still at it) and there are certain things about the interface I wish were different and more intuitive.

CoffeeCup: Fun, intuitive interface. Lots of add-on components and always developing more. They say they are working on the ability to edit visible code (side panel type-thing) and a built-in CMS feature, as people have been asking for these, but they don’t have a roll out date. A new version is coming out soon, but it doesn’t look like it will include these yet. They definitely will not be offering the ability to open up sites created in other programs.

So, for Freeway Pro, my top wish items for the new version are: 1. Easy, built-in CMS (to allow clients to edit specific areas…text, photos, videos, etc.—a must-have these days.) I’m aware there are 3rd party plug-ins available, but prefer to have all-in-one, and even better if the desktop file could pull-in any changes made by the client (like Muse does); 2; Ability to edit code in a side panel or pop-up, rather than buried in extended panes, etc.; 3. Fresh, new interface— as much as I like FW, I always felt the interface was a bit clunky and dated; 4. Ability to open up other html sites. I realize this last one may be the toughest from a programming aspect, but it would be great. It could also encourage non-users to transfer over (like InDesign did with Quark…subsequently replacing Quark as the professional design industry standard.)

If the new FW Pro could incorporate all or most of these, it could leap beyond its competition, as none of them contain all these features. I realize I’m looking for perfection, but it doesn’t hurt to ask. :slight_smile:

In the meantime, I won’t begin new sites using FW, as it will affect my professional credibility if a client ask what program I’m creating their website in or googles Freeway to find the company has gone out of business.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at: