Upcoming News re Freeway

Hey Trey,

I wonder if you could point me in the right direction about making my site http://chrisrutkowski.com/ truly responsive. Some people don’t like the backgrounds (which are paintings by my brother, but I like the retro feel which parallels my emphasis on acoustic music as a jazz player and composer, so I’d like to keep them.

I think the simplest course is for me to redo the pages for viewing on phones, with a new menus and probably removing the background paintings for that breakpoint. Could you clarify that process? And do you have a suggestion for an alternative menu, perhaps one that pops out from the side?

Thanks!

Chris Rutkowski

On Mar 9, 2017, at 2:31 PM, Trey Yancy email@hidden wrote:

Dave B: Bolin site: It needs to be responsive. Start with the default breakpoint and with your CSS text styles. Set styles for heading, subhead, and paragraph text that work with the well. Click on the popup at the bottom right of the CSS text panel and step down one breakpoint at a time, changing only the attributes that need changing (such as font size and weight).

Go back to your document. Refer to the documentation and set the document to fill the available width. I recommend creating an HTML object named PageContainer (or something similar) and set it to 100% width. Select everything else on the page, delete it , click in the PageContainer and paste it in. Set all the content relative to the the width. Make sure that every object (including groups / containters) is given a recognizable name.

Note that narrower breakpoints inherit the layout and object settings of the wider breakpoint.

Step down to the next breakpoint and make adjustments to objects using margins, padding and position. Only. You will notice that your font styles will have automatically adjusted to that breakpoint. If there is any object that needs to be changed radically, duplicate it, select the original object, then use the Inspector to uncheck the Display box. Now only the duplicated object can be seen. You can change it at will. If you set the pages pane at the left to display the content instead of the pages, you can see the two objects - one showing as turned off and the other as turned on.

Step down to narrower breakpoints and repeat the above.

It may take some poking around to figure it out, but as long as you start with a simple test cdocument with only a couple of objects and text items, it should be easy to work things out.

Re: Menus - Use CSS menus. You will need to set things so that the burger menu will display at narrow breakpoints. Note that you may wish to set up a special text style just for the menus.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

Chris Rutkowski
Creative Director, Luna Media
email@hidden
www.chrisrutkowski.com http://chrisrutkowski.com/index.html

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Speaking as the author of this forum (literally, hand-coded from the nuts up) I don’t disagree that time has not been its friend. But I would like to fill you in to some of the history that informed its design, and the particular place in time that it occupies.

FreewayTalk the first was a Gnu Mailman mailing list for the first umpty years of its existence. I joined in 1997, right after the end of the first beta for Freeway 1, and the launch of that product. As mailing lists go, it was easily one of the very best (and I was an active and early adopter of mailing lists). There was a tone and a camaraderie that has stayed consistent throughout all those years. The Ruby people I work with these days have a saying about this sort of community, centered around the developer of that language: “Matz is nice so we are nice.” The same could be said about this list, albeit centered around Freeway the product.

Somewhere around the mid-2000s, the cry went up among the populace that “mailing lists are old and boring – we need a forum”, and a PHPBB was duly put up in place of the mailing list. An incredible hack was developed that allowed the forum to continue to work with the listserv, and it worked in a serviceable manner, but those of us (myself included) that preferred the simplicity and pushiness of the mailing list found it to be really weak sauce, and I expressed my displeasure fairly loudly. I also have to admit that I didn’t contribute as much as I had, simply because the ergonomics of it were entirely wrong for the way my mind works.

About a year later, I proposed a new system, with its heart and soul firmly in the mailing list ethos, but with a core of a search engine and Web interface that could provide the Google visibility needed to make searches for information about Freeway top-of-the-results. Working with Finlay Dobbie, the then-teenaged wunderkind who was famously kicked out of the Apple Developer program for being too damned young, I developed a Web application that could interact with Mailman… The mailing list was the database, in other words, so instead of the mailing list being a bolt-on to the forum, the forum was just another member of the list. This generation of the list launched in 2007 or so.

A few years ago, Softpress got most of the way done with a Discourse implementation, but for one reason or another, it never took over from the “Mailist” system I had developed. I’m not sure where that work is archived, or what state it is in, but it could be dusted off, I suppose.

The difference between a forum – no matter how glossy – and a mailing list, goes all the way to the bone, in my opinion. It’s a fundamental truth that if you get an e-mail and you reply to it, that interaction is pushed toward you. You don’t have to seek it out, search for a topic that interests you and contribute. You can respond. I am responsive by nature. I used to have a sign on my door at work that read, “If you react quickly enough, it can look like planning.” And I have lived my entire (very lengthy) professional career in that mode. I shudder to think what would happen to my contribution rate to this community without that mode of interaction. I just checked, and I have written 17,814 answers in the past 10 years. I am sure there were an equal number in the preceding (e-mail only) 10 years.

I am by no means the most frequent or prolific user, either, but one thread that has bound all of the frequent fliers together has been that they are “email subscribers” rather than the drop-in forum users who come in for a single purpose and then leave. That incredible longevity of membership is another (probably the most) important reason why this tends to be such a “nice” community. We are here for each other – a true community of interest, and we’ve seen each other through marriages, births, deaths, and career detours.

Thanks for letting me stroke my gray beard and tell you all a tale. And thanks for being a big part of my work life all these many years.

Walter

On Mar 10, 2017, at 1:35 PM, FreewayPro_User email@hidden wrote:

+1

This forum is so outdated.

SoftPress could go along way in improving there public and customer perception if they would simply:

• Update the security certificate – Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

• Archive this antiquated forum, still having the ability to search

• Switch to a modern forum like Discourse: https://www.discourse.org/

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Walter

be assured we are all so grateful for this forum in any form!!!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I absolutely second Carla here and would like to add that Walter, and also DeltaDave comes to mind, in his answers and contributions never has lost the focus on the subject always writing objectively and to the point, never with an arrogant, sarcastic or know-it-all addendum. Which to the latters, I am sorry to say, does have happened in this forum.

So, hail you, Walter!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I have no problem with the current iteration of the method to communicate with others.

I do like messages pushed to me … I can read what others are doing, their problems and a variety of solutions. Some of which have triggered a light-bulb moment. Or given me an idea to chew-on for a future use.

I think we’ll worth having the pushed to me.

Thanks Walter

Peter Tucker, Oxford UK - but mobile somewhere iP6

On 11 Mar 2017, at 00:02, Carla email@hidden wrote:

Walter

be assured we are all so grateful for this forum in any form!!!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Carla, I second that emotion.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

The “latest and greatest” is not necessarily the best. I like Walter’s
handiwork and clearly if it helps him be of help to the many silent and
vocal users of Freeway I’m very grateful for his guidance and happy to
continue as is.
Thank you Walter for all the responses and help over these many years.

On 3/11/17 11:44 AM, Harold Appel wrote:

Carla, I second that emotion.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

On 9 Mar 2017, 9:46 pm, Dave Boli wrote:

Thanks Richard, I used the latest FW at the time, I think it was pro 7. I’ll sort out a zipped archive and a BEER or two, haha, Dave

Dave, I suppose you’re already getting around this without my service? Otherwise … I do have some spare time because 2 projects went very smoothly. My offer still stands :slight_smile:

– Richard

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

On 10 Mar 2017, 11:59 pm, waltd wrote:

I would like to fill you in to some of the history that informed its design, and the particular place in time that it occupies.

The difference between a forum – no matter how glossy – and a mailing list, goes all the way to the bone, in my opinion.

Hi Walter (& whomever else),

I was not trying to diminish past efforts or achievements of the community or Softpress with my suggestion. But much like the Freeway app itself, perhaps now more than ever, considerations towards more modern offerings and more so - modern standards are past the time for consideration.

Let it be known that Discourse does offer interaction via mailing lists, emails, etc., and continues to improve further upon those features. In addition to all the added features and vast benefits something like Discourse has to offer for communities. Which are too many to list here, but all of which should be more than obvious, even to the most novice of users.

It’s well discussed within the Discourse community here are just a few quick examples:

• Discourse vs Email & Mailing lists

• Discourse and Email Lists (like Google Groups)

• Feature Roadmap - Mailing lists

Etc.,

In the end, the choices Softpress decides upon in the present for moving forward and into the future both with their apps and overall platform will dictate the success of reopening their doors and likewise vanquish the memory of past false steps and miscues. The choices this time around are more important than ever for Softpress. So is learning from the past, and even more so choosing to not remain or exist within it. This holds true for Softpress and its users.

The “Discourse” suggestion was purely meant for the betterment of the overall community and platform. Much like my suggestion seen further above about possible alternative development considerations to “open up the software to more users overall and increase the revenue streams for Softpress and Freeway Pro”. My intentions and suggestions were not in malice or to be offensive to anyone. But rather with the ideal only to provide possible benefit to Softpress and its users.

On 10 Mar 2017, 11:59 pm, waltd wrote:

“If you react quickly enough, it can look like planning.”

Beyond ironically however – Softpress in many areas, did not plan accordingly or react quickly enough in the past. This can’t be argued in many cases.

“The past is behind, learn from it. >> present << The future is ahead, prepare for it.”

Time will tell, how that ultimately works out for Softpress and subsequently its users as well. :wink:

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I absolutely second Carla

Thirded here!

While not quite as prolific as Walter I interact with FWT exclusively through the Web interface - it just suits me better.

But the fact is that each contributor has the option to use the method best suited to themselves.

This forum is so outdated.

A bit strongly put I think - it works fine for me!

Update the security certificate

Certainly - but there may be more important things that should be dealt with first.

Simple endeavors to show progress

I would far rather see updates/improvements in the app itself.

David

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

On 11 Mar 2017, 6:51 pm, DeltaDave wrote:

Update the security certificate

Certainly - but there may be more important things that should be dealt with first.

Security, both real or perceived should always be of the utmost importance.

Imagine as people come across Softpress for the first time (unless new users are not desired?). As they look to see what community support is offered, as this along with proper documentation are two major interests of importance for new users or potential customers. Then they see the security warming, what type of image or perception is that projecting to these people?

Yet its such a simple fix to resolve this issue and prevent this type of unneeded perception for Softpress, its users and potential customers.

On 11 Mar 2017, 6:51 pm, DeltaDave wrote:

But the fact is that each contributor has the option to use the method best suited to themselves.

Fact is: As already mentioned above Discourse (as merely one example), likewise offers this as well, along with the vast number of added additional benefits to users.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Security, both real or perceived should always be of the utmost importance.

If I was submitting confidential information/credit card details I would agree but this is a forum!

Discourse (as merely one example), likewise offers this as well

But to implement a Discourse (or any other solution) diverts resources from the core product - the app itself.

I want to see the new Softpress on solid ground first. The twiddly bits can come later.

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Richard, I’ll sort that out tonight, ONLY if you have a minute, I can’t thank you enough, I’ll sort the file out later tonight, Dave

On 12 Mar 2017, at 06:59, Richard van Heukelum email@hidden wrote:

Thanks Richard, I used the latest FW at the time, I think it was pro 7. I’ll sort out a zipped archive and a BEER or two, haha, Dave

Dave, I suppose you’re already getting around this without my service? Otherwise … I do have some spare time because 2 projects went very smoothly. My offer still stands :slight_smile:

– Richard

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I want to see the new Softpress on solid ground first. The twiddly bits can come later.

All good, true and valid. But the question is:

“What is later - or when is later?”

I mean - if you’re as the average of this board, all you need is having an ensured installable copy of FreewayPro on upcoming OS X - done, right? Or in other words - we keep all as is. We don’t mind about current stat and future tricks, because all the things worked anyway.

But it may happen, that this above described part of users (the majority) will long be retired while a fresh and new motivated user (wherever he may be sent from) swallowing the stale air just because we persist on odd structures?

So it seems to be a good symbiosis between a developer who has to survive the next 2 or 3 years and its users who needs to cover the exact same period for to retire. The “after me, the deluge” attitude somehow.

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I just rambled back to check my old friend Freeway. Hooray!!! I love the forum as it is, and will now try to tackle the responsive layout. Welcome back Freeway, I’ve loved you since you saved me from Dreamweaver way back at version 3 I think!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

On 3 Feb 2017, 2:25 pm, Trey Yancy wrote:

I just wrote a glowing post that took long enough to write that I was silently logged off and the content was lost when I hit the post button.

Ah, Trey, I can sympathise with you there. The same thing has happened to me so many times that I have now got into the habit of typing my replies out in TextEdit and then doing a copy/paste - but it took me a good few frustrating events like yours before I learned the lesson. Another irritating thing is, forums which put ‘stupid’ restrictions on some posts and then don’t give you the option of going back to editing them - restrictions like ‘the comments you have made are not relevant’ - even when they are VERY relevant.

Anyway, thanks for all your posts, I enjoy reading them.

And thanks to the other posters too for the great news about a possible continuation of Freeway, most of the FW users on here reflect my own experience and I too have a limited brain capacity to cope with learning new stuff.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Richard, SLOWLY turning things around, has been the worst 3 months of my life - too much to explain, but broken relationships and kids, not a good mix.

I CAN’T THANK YOU ENOIUGH for your help re Bolin site. I will look at it this week. I WILL WIN LOTTO AND YOU ARE FIRST ON MY LIST haha. Seriously, what you have done is so appreciated, I hope you think that because I didn’t respond earlier I didn’t value it.

I started to look at Coffee Club last Sept but then took my foot off the pedal Due to work and personal nonsense. Still a learning curve, but it seems so nice working within that environment, I put a good word about you to them as I read your comments on the FW forum. I hope they gave you massive discounts haha.

I loved FW, but didn’t go the responsive route when I should’ve. I still use it, but as you said I think Coffee Club is geared up and pretty damned good! I only hope the Softpress take on board your comments.

Anyway, thank you so much, I’ll look at the Bolin stuff this week and I can’t thank you enough

Dave

:))))))))

On 12 Mar 2017, at 06:59, Richard van Heukelum email@hidden wrote:

– Richard

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden